Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: What are your opinions on MK?  (Read 12058 times)

OfflineAdeina

• Guitar George
What are your opinions on MK?
« on: October 01, 2015, 12:06:55 PM »
I've recently discovered Dire Straits and am fast becoming a big fan (I know, I know, where has this band been all my life?).
Anyway, Mark Knopfler is basically my new hero  :D
I've been doing my research, lots and lots of research, and so far what I've heard about MK is kind of mixed, and I wanted to know what your opinions are? I've watched and read  many interviews and he always seems so kind, humble and he even seems to underrate himself. He's clearly not an arrogant jerk. But I've also come across interviews with other people, including band mates, where they seem to portray that he might only  be putting on a kind show for the cameras, and that he is selfish when it comes to making music. I don't want to believe this, although I know everyone has their flaws, but I would be a little sad if one of my new heroes turned out to be an asshole. I just want to hear all your opinions on this?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: What are your opinions on MK?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 01:15:36 PM »
I think that there may be a few people who have had their egos put out of place in the DS days (Alan Clark, for example) and it may be true that Mark was the driving force of Dire Straits but I think that was a good thing. 

A band needs a strong leader with his own ideas for his songs.  To allow too much input from other people will let the idea behind the song drift from where it was originally coming from and artistically I don't think that is good.  A few band members had ideas of their own brushed aside and didn't like that, hence their words. 

It is generally thought that his attitude has changed and he has mellowed somewhat since going solo since he now has more control on his music and less pressure on him.  Whether that has meant the quality of his music has suffered or not, well...
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 01:19:02 PM »
Hi Esmerelda,
Welcome to the MK-fanclub. Your question: well, we don't know MK personally so it's always guessing.
But I did a lot of concerts from 1985 till last week and must have done about 120-140 shows in total. I always look at the non-verbal communication as well.
These days I think MK is quit relaxed and happy. If you see him smiling and playing with the band they all get along very well.
Also when you meet him (I was lucky to have had some meet & greets) he is humble, not very talkative. Just giving you a smile and a handshake.

But I think he is demanding, which is not the same as an asshole or selfish. He is a brilliant songwriter and knows how he wants to have it. Bandmembers seem to be able to add suggestions. But he wants it the way he has it in his head. And then this high quality shows up. So I don't think he is an asshole, selfish but he wants the best.

Most important is that you like what you hear. The man himself we will never know personally, so everything else is guessing.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 01:24:11 PM »
I'd say that you have two MKs, the one from the DS days that was very demanding and sometimes not very kind, and the one from his Solo years, that looks more like a humble man, still demanding, but not in the DS days way, more relaxed.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineWaterofLove

• Local Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 12:14:03 AM »
I'd say that you have two MKs, the one from the DS days that was very demanding and sometimes not very kind, and the one from his Solo years, that looks more like a humble man, still demanding, but not in the DS days way, more relaxed.

What do you mean by not very kind? Do you have some examples?

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 11:02:46 AM »

What do you mean by not very kind? Do you have some examples?

- his "dictatorial" attitude explained in the Oldfield book, in particular with David during early days
- the "sausage" event during OES tour
- the session with manu Katché, discussed here :
http://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=3465.0

there are more....

imho, it's is not necessarily a "fault", it is only his way to control things and to go into the way he wants.
Since the beginning he knew what he wants, and he is still doing it.
People who agree with this (e.g. John illsley, Guy Fletcher...) follow him, others are fired (e.g. David, Ed Bicknell...)

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 11:15:50 AM »
But this is of course only a view in books and from people who are fired. We never heard an objective view of others.
So we "know" only from the sources mentioned here

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 12:40:13 PM »
But this is of course only a view in books and from people who are fired. We never heard an objective view of others.

If there is someone who complained, then there was a reason to complain...

You don´t see the actual MK band members complaining about the actual MK, you find quite many examples of all DS members complaining from this and that of the DS days MK...

You always need to check both sides of the story, but when in the old DS times the river sounded, they must had been water flowing.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 04:49:28 PM »
I've recently discovered Dire Straits and am fast becoming a big fan (I know, I know, where has this band been all my life?).
Anyway, Mark Knopfler is basically my new hero  :D

...I would be a little sad if one of my new heroes turned out to be an asshole.

You needn't expect too much of his stage image, such things are often misleading.
It should also be understood that a propensity to make for yourself an idol, as well as a capacity for disillusionment subsequently is an integral part of your personality and doesn't hinge on the object of desire.  :)

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 09:37:47 PM »
... It should also be understood that a propensity to make for yourself an idol, as well as a capacity for disillusionment subsequently is an integral part of your personality and doesn't hinge on the object of desire.  :)
:think
:-\
:D
;D
(I'm going with a positive conclusion here -- as that is part of my personality.)  :-*
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 12:24:04 PM »
;D
:-*

Unspeakably glad to see your positive attitude to everything.  :wave

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 06:06:48 PM »
;D
:-*

Unspeakably glad to see your positive attitude to everything.  :wave
:wave
Thanks Throttle! 
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 09:15:23 PM »
That he is a fully respected individual, and as nice as pie!! - Pretty good damn Guitarist too!!!
(Just had some time away from MK listening to David Gilmours new Album - 'Rattle that lock' and although it is very good it is now very 'same-ish' as David's guitar style to me is 'One Directional' That's why Mark is so unique in that he can play so many styles succesfully)
Back to 100% MK music now....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineknopfling

• Camerado
  • SALT LAKE CITY June 25, 2008
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 08:06:42 PM »
Glenn Worf and Mike McGoldrick each told me MK is very nice. I wouldn't really expect them to say anything else, but in each case, they volunteered the opinions -- they didn't come from something I was specifically asking about -- so I kind of think that's how they feel.
My 2008 Red Rocks/Salt Lake/Hard Rock pix
http://s319.photobucket.com/albums/mm469/knopfling/?start=0

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 07:48:10 AM »

Yes, happenings here and there. Although, I am pretty sure that Mark controlled David´s playing, because he knew what to expect. He had that strong desire and passion, which helped him to get there where he is now. By the way, have you people ever thought how a book about you would look like? :)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 38 queries.