Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Holly Vincent was only 19 when Mark was nearly 30  (Read 32721 times)

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
Re: Holly Vincent was only 19 when Mark was nearly 30
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 12:37:34 PM »
Absolutely, it was just like that, I suppose!! We will never know anything about what really happened in MK's private life and this is it!!

Envoyé de mon Ultym 5.2 en utilisant Tapatalk

But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Offlinesilentguy

• Camerado
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 09:03:49 PM »
Holly has a cast in that Old Grey Whistle Test video ?
Or it's a big sock with words on it

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2015, 03:34:09 AM »
Sounded like a rip-off of the Pretenders. Pretty stereotypical for the era.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Offlinewespresso

• Camerado
  • Stick at it..
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2015, 10:57:36 AM »
Whenever watching the version of Romeo and Juliet where MK almost cries I get the feeling that Holly Vincent was the love of his life.

Did you mean "Where Do You Think You're Going"?   
I read about this "emotional" performance before, which version is that?

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2015, 11:14:44 AM »
Whenever watching the version of Romeo and Juliet where MK almost cries I get the feeling that Holly Vincent was the love of his life.

Boston '79

Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2015, 11:40:57 AM »

Boston '79

I read about this in the Oldfield book : Ed said something like "Holly phoned Mark and said to him it was over just before the gig. He sung WDYTYG like he never did before, I had tears in my eyes". We know that it happened during the 2nd US tour in late 79, but there is no date and location.

I have always wondered if this version was on bootleg or not, and which one it was.

Val, how do you know its' the Boston one ? Do you have more info, or is it just that you feel this version is more emotional than usual ?

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, 11:58:22 AM »

Boston '79

Val, how do you know its' the Boston one ? Do you have more info, or is it just that you feel this version is more emotional than usual ?

JF - Purely because it says Boston on the video and we have discussed this version before - no other reason except he does sound very emotional.    :)    It was discussed, albeit briefly, here:

http://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=350.45
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 03:10:57 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2015, 07:49:11 PM »

Boston '79

JF - Purely because it says Boston on the video and we have discussed this version before - no other reason except he does sound very emotional.    :)    It was discussed, albeit briefly, here:

I was asking why did you know the Boston version was the one mentionned by Ed in the Oldfield book, not why the YT link was the Boston version  :D

anyway it seems we will never know for sure which gig it was when they broke up, and that had this special version of the song. Maybe it is this one, maybe it is another one we have on another bootleg, maybe it's one we will never hear....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 10:09:40 PM »

[/quote]

I was asking why did you know the Boston version was the one mentionned by Ed in the Oldfield book, not why the YT link was the Boston version  :D

anyway it seems we will never know for sure which gig it was when they broke up, and that had this special version of the song. Maybe it is this one, maybe it is another one we have on another bootleg, maybe it's one we will never hear....
[/quote]

All his singing around this era was full of emotion/passion.  Don't think we'll ever know for sure.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineWaterofLove

• Local Hero
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2015, 12:06:20 AM »
WOW. That Boston-bootleg just HAS to be right after she broke up with him. It sounds like he whispers, like he is about to cry, his voice is breaking. I have never heard him like that, even if his songs are emotional in general. If they didn't have a serious relationship, why would he sing like this, why would he write R&J, why would he still almost cry when singing? I am referring to the Night in London-version of R&J where he has tears in his eyes and his mouth is moving like when before crying.
Look at 3.10 and from 5.40.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 12:21:51 AM by WaterofLove »

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 06:17:18 PM »
I noticed it as well but I did not know the first time I saw this video, for whom he wrote the song. I thought it was for his first wife. Usually the first cut is the deepest!! Dixit Rod Stewart!! He was certainly very much in love with her because he married her rather young!! And what happened with their marriage was certainly a big emotional shock. Now that was my theory up until now but if you say it's for Holly then maybe you are right...

But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2015, 08:47:18 AM »
I noticed it as well but I did not know the first time I saw this video, for whom he wrote the song. I thought it was for his first wife. Usually the first cut is the deepest!! Dixit Rod Stewart!! He was certainly very much in love with her because he married her rather young!! And what happened with their marriage was certainly a big emotional shock. Now that was my theory up until now but if you say it's for Holly then maybe you are right...

song about his relationship with one of his grilfriends in his youth (maybe Sue Hercombe ?) is Down to the waterline

songs about his relationship with his first wife are on the first album : water of love, setting me up, six blade knife, and on communique : follow me home

songs about his relationship with Holly Vincent are : Romeo & Juliet, love over gold and it never rains (a "trilogy" as said in the oldifeld book, although Mark denied it)

songs about his relationship with Lourdes could be : when it comes to you, fade to black, how long, maybe your latest trick ?

songs about his relationship with Kitty are all love songs from Golden heart until now

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2015, 08:50:41 AM »
Thanks JF.

OfflineWaterofLove

• Local Hero
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2015, 11:21:41 PM »

The lyrics in the song are more suitable for the Holly-situation because when Kathy was married to Mark he wasn't a rock star and couldn't be exploited in the way that the lyrics describes. "I dreamed your dream for you and now your dream is real". He stated that he thought Holly was taking advantage of his position to "boost her career".  And of course that famous line he took from the interview when she said she had a scene with him. And it might have worked because she did get a record contract. However, I am not sure if this was with Ed Bicknell or Charlie Gillett? I think Holly lived in London for a while, and maybe she met Mark there?

Quote from the deleted post: "He had none too many women". Hmm, he did almost get a new one immediately after a breakup? Holly was gone in 79 and he married Lourdes in 83, so they must have met quite shortly after the breakup. And he divorced Lourdes in 93 and started dating Kitty in 94 and married her in 97. Maybe you refer to the gap between 73 (end of marriage with Kathy) and 79 when the Holly-thing started? As earlier discussed it is most likely that he would have written a song about it if there were a relationship between Kathy and Holly. Quite interesting actually, maybe he was picky.

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2015, 06:48:19 AM »
As a matter of fact I can imagine that the divorce with Lourdes was painful again because his twins were quite young, about 5 years old and what maybe brought the tears in his eyes during this show was taking place just around the after divorce period so maybe and it is only my interprétation, he was indeed very sad thinking about his sons as Everybody said he is  a very caring Dad!!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 38 queries.