Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: DVD? Finally?  (Read 13690 times)

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
DVD? Finally?
« on: November 29, 2015, 10:26:59 PM »
Hello guys, long time no see you!

I posted this on Guy's forum a few days ago:

"I've been very busy lately but took the time last weekend to catch up with the tour by reading your diary and watching some performances on youtube. All I have to say is it is the best band I have ever come across in my life. Back then it was mostly about Mark's songs and his guitar playing but now it's like an act, every little piece falls into place so naturally and beautifully. Everything looks so effortless, relaxed and gorgeous. As I stated some posts ago I don't really care about my country not being part of the touring area or the lack of official releases apart from the CDs anymore, I'm over it, but it is indeed a shame that such glorious performances apparently will never be properly recorded and videoed. That's something that the next generations should be able to taste. Keep up the good work - forever, if that's possible."

His answer to my surprise was:

"Don't be so sure"

I didn't see that coming! A few posts below someone wrote this:

"Hello Doc. I was just watching again that beautiful short film by Henrik Hansen about Tracker and thinking about the new documentary he will work on, with some footage from Copenhaguen, Barcelona and some of the US dates... I really hope he will expand the images from MK in his beach house when you can see him writting songs and having a walk with his dogs, which are very beautiful scenes, and also some more of Mark and you in the studio, probably he left out many scenes for that short film that can be great in the new one, together with the live scenes. Really looking forward to it."

I went on Youtube and looked for footage from Copenhagen and Barcelona, and guess what... There were cameras on stage!

Connecting the dots, perhaps the so-called Hansen documentary is actually a live DVD and those pieces we saw a few months ago are the extras!

Does it make sense to you too or should I call my shrink?

I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
Re: DVD? Finally?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 11:06:45 PM »
It has been already discussed here.

Yes there were cameras but up to now they are known to be used for a documentary. And we are not assured that the whole show was shot.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 11:10:07 PM »

Yes there were cameras but up to now they are known to be used for a documentary. And we are not assured that the whole show was shot.

I can speak for Copenhagen. The whole show wasn't shot. They filmed sequences from one angle during a couple of minutes. Then stopped and moved around, repeated and so on.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 11:37:24 PM »

I can speak for Copenhagen. The whole show wasn't shot. They filmed sequences from one angle during a couple of minutes. Then stopped and moved around, repeated and so on.

If I'm not mistaken I saw a fixed camera in front of the stage too as well as some go pros spread over. I also got this from Paul Crockford on Facebook afetr asking him about a possible official DVD release:

Crockford Management
Crockford Management Keep an eye on the website...there may be something in the next 12 months...

It was on 14 July.

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 12:26:56 PM »

If I'm not mistaken I saw a fixed camera in front of the stage too as well as some go pros spread over. I also got this from Paul Crockford on Facebook afetr asking him about a possible official DVD release:

Crockford Management
Crockford Management Keep an eye on the website...there may be something in the next 12 months...

It was on 14 July.

The fixed cameras were there for the monitors on the sides. It was Tivoli's own production crew.

I'm not saying you're wrong but nowadays I'm rather pessimistic about this thing. Still there seems to be at least some hope for something.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 01:06:37 PM »
Why would they want to release a DVD with performances on it that are vastly inferior to those already available on Alchemy, On the Night, A Night In London and Real Live Road Running?  It wouldn't be quite so bad if the comparison wasn't there for all to see.  A live DVD from the latest tour will never be released now IMHO and frankly I'm glad;  performances of Mark in his prime are the ones that deserve to be archived for eternity.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 01:32:36 PM »
Why would they want to release a DVD with performances on it that are vastly inferior to those already available on Alchemy, On the Night, A Night In London and Real Live Road Running?  It wouldn't be quite so bad if the comparison wasn't there for all to see.  A live DVD from the latest tour will never be released now IMHO and frankly I'm glad;  performances of Mark in his prime are the ones that deserve to be archived for eternity.

The Manchester concert that I attended was excellent and, luckily, there is a very good DVD available to download on the Tracker, thanks to Tunnel85.   This concert would have made a great official DVD!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 01:39:15 PM »

I don't see Mark as a guitar hero anymore, I'd rather see the big picture now. The current band is stunning, the new songs are beautiful - and Mark sings now better than ever before. It's kind of ironic when you come to realise that when Mark was in a band it was all about him and his guitar and now that he's a solo artist he makes so much room for... the band.

Having said that, I really would like this to be real since Mark doesn't come to my country. I know we've been let down before but yeah, I'm still in the hopes it will happen at some point...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 02:34:45 PM »

The Manchester concert that I attended was excellent and, luckily, there is a very good DVD available to download on the Tracker, thanks to Tunnel85.   This concert would have made a great official DVD!    :)

You're right - the Manchester concert was one of the best of the tour and the DVD from Tunnel85 is a great way for the fans to have a chance to watch a live DVD from the recent tour in excellent quality.  The point is though, it is for the fans, and not archived for eternity or released to the general public.  Only true fans like ourselves will seek it out and we are already aware of any comparisons between performances of then and now. :)

In response to the original question: personally I think that Hansen's recordings will be edited and put into a DVD for the next album's box set but if any live footage is included at all it will be a clip.  Personally I think it will be focussed more to a story of "life on the road touring" and behind-the-scenes thing. Probably way off the mark but just a theory. :think

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 07:55:04 PM »
Harsh as usual :)
This may be true of Sultans (Alchemy version is stunning) and Telegraph (although even if Alchemy version is great, a softer version with the pensa sound is desirable - I have enjoyed 2010-2015 versions even in laid-back mode).
For everything else though, I disagree. Speedway, RAJ, YLT and going home were great in 2015. And most importantly let's not forget the new songs not on the above mentioned DVDs, especially HFB and KOG, and even Postcards, which were great in 2015. I will not mention Marbletown not to upset you :p
I really would have liked a Paris 2010 DVD, with Border Reiver (best opener ever), Coyote, and a electrifying TR end solo !

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 09:25:10 PM »

Harsh as usual :)
This may be true of Sultans (Alchemy version is stunning) and Telegraph (although even if Alchemy version is great, a softer version with the pensa sound is desirable - I have enjoyed 2010-2015 versions even in laid-back mode).
For everything else though, I disagree. Speedway, RAJ, YLT and going home were great in 2015. And most importantly let's not forget the new songs not on the above mentioned DVDs, especially HFB and KOG, and even Postcards, which were great in 2015. I will not mention Marbletown not to upset you :p
I really would have liked a Paris 2010 DVD, with Border Reiver (best opener ever), Coyote, and a electrifying TR end solo !

Okay, okay, some really good point there.  I'll give you that! 

HFB reached it's peak a few tours back, 2011/2012 IMO.  There are a few good versions, though they are random these days.  Still a possibility since we don't have it on DVD though.

KOG was a highlight this tour and this would be welcomed.

Both R&J and YLT sounded dull and rather lifeless this tour, especially due to his vocal.  Listen to R&J from 1996 and it's much more powerful.

Postcards is pretty standard but the best played ones I think were on the 2007 showcases.

Speedway was great from the Toronto concert and some others too but it was also great in 2006 too and available on the Real Live Roadrunning DVD.

OES is another one that was so much better played on the On the Night DVD than any version from 2015 I've heard.

P.S. Thanks for not mentioning Marbletown.  ;)

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 09:32:30 PM »

O.K. Mark's times in his prime are over. Maybe. When would you say that point arrived?
But this Band is the best he has ever had.
Ian,Glenn,Richard,Jim, Guy - all Top musicians.  But wait - no, maybe the 96ers were a bit better because the Mcs were missing  ;D
Love will find a Way

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 09:41:35 PM »
I think Ed is right.
IT is time for a DVD.
We only have London 1996 as an incomplete DVD.
And the Live Versions on that one were not so  good as the ones in the "real" concerts.
The one with Emmylou is nice to have but no proper MK Live DVD.
That's nearly 10 years ago.
Now with this BAND it is a shame to have nothing to watch at home.
How long he will wait ? Playing and setlist will not be better in the future...
Love will find a Way

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 11:32:49 PM »
Madrid 2001. Really. Have you all forgotten how better was then his guitar playing?

SOS was still seriously swinging!

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 11:51:01 PM »
Madrid 2001. Really. Have you all forgotten how better was then his guitar playing?

SOS was still seriously swinging!
:thumbsup
We have the audience video but I would love to see a properly mixed professional video with close-ups from that show.  Great tour with a very good set too.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 38 queries.