Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Why is he so modest?  (Read 6830 times)

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
Re: Why is he so modest?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 10:44:51 PM »
I'm not sure he's a modest guy, or even a shy person. He just knows how to protect himself from the public eye and that's fair enough.

I do think he is a control freak though. He exercises absolute control over the music and each note he plays : someone once said to me he plays "licks" rather than goes with the flow, like Hendrix, who was very fluid as a guitar player. Not an insult, just different styles.

His controlling instinct can be seen from everything from changes in musicians to the set list. I think he also likes certainty, familiarity and doing what he knows the best he can. Look at the Borthers in Arms tour setlists : they played for almost a year without a day off and hardly changed a song.

Who am I to make these observations: no one. Just a few thoughts running through my head.

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 03:18:50 AM »
Ill have to keep an eye out for the "r" thing.....I must say I haven't noticed him sing a "a love-struck Womeo"...??!! ;D
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 10:15:09 PM »
Good point! It's very subtle and only seems to appear on certain words, I'll try to think of some examples. :)

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 10:18:09 PM »

Vock and voll vooby :)

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 08:52:02 AM »
Modesty in the music industry is a rare thing, and I am happy that Mark is modest, he doesn't have anything to prove anymore so he doesn't need an ego, which he clearly had at the start of his career. But Mark comes across clearly in most interviews compared to Mike Oldfield, who has had issues in the past.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 06:26:33 PM »
Modest in the best possible version of the word! There is LOTS of selfconfidence in Marks eyes; I'm sure those eyes can still a storm.. I wish he would not talk himself down, yes, but what to do when been giving compliments? Say "of course, I'm the best"?

I have been working a bit with a well known man in my country. He is not a star, but everybody knows his name. In a way it has given me a feeling on how it is like to be well known, but he is the total opposite of MK in many ways, and of course faaaar from having the fame and name MK has. He can greet people with "isn't it wonderful to meet me?!", said without irony. It is just the way he is. I am so glad MK is not like that.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 08:20:23 PM »
I heard someone today quoted Thelonious Monk, who said: "A genius is the one most like himself." If you approach Bob Dylan by the way, he's not so 'modest' like Mark. He's like hear 'You're the best songwriter out there' and all his face tells you 'Yeah, right', and he kinda agree. What about Mark? I think he's not genius so to say, but rather a normal person who works so hard it almost seems genuis, and his level of modesty is normal.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 09:24:46 PM »
When told he/she is a genius an arrogant one agrees but a clever one plays it down with a smart comment.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinepanzerdriver

• Guitar George
  • Tell me how we're gonna do what's best....
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2016, 12:34:39 AM »
While I shudder to think of the reaction if I crossed him in anything, I still see Mark as - at this point - an elder statesman of music (not strictly rock & roll) and think he conducts himself, largely, in interviews as a complete gentleman, and gentlemen do not toot their own horns. He gives credit where credit is due to other musicians. On the other hand, as I said (and evidenced by the revolving door in the past as to sidemen), he is nobody to mess with. I've seen looks from the stage towards miscreants in the audience that I was so, so glad were NOT directed at me! I think he was probably brought up with a good sense of responsibility and accountability. He's certainly made his bones with the various low-level jobs he had in the past to support his passion.
A hen can lay a golden egg, but she still can't sing.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 36 queries.