Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New book about Dire Straits (in french)  (Read 11451 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
New book about Dire Straits (in french)
« on: December 25, 2015, 11:16:06 PM »
what a surprise today with one of my christmas gifts : a new (french) book about Dire straits :

"Dire Straits, l' amérique fantasmée" :  "Dire Straits, fantasized America"...(not sure Google traduction.... :-[)

http://lemotetlereste.com/mr/musiques/direstraits/

http://livre.fnac.com/a8838870/Arnaud-Devillard-Dire-Straits

http://www.amazon.fr/Dire-Straits-LAm%C3%A9rique-Arnaud-Devillard/dp/2360541846

I wasn't aware of this book, so it was really a surprise !

I haven't read it yet of course but it looks promising.

the 1st chapter is called "prelude on the night Lyon halle Tony Garnier 20 avril 1992" my first gig !

it seems that David answered many questions to the author Aranud Devillard, and there's an itw of MK by Christian Eudeline

maybe these french authors /journalists are AMIT members ?  ::) ::) who are you ? :wave

can't wait to read the book  :P 8)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: New book about Dire Straits (in french)
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 11:48:54 PM »
 Great !!!
Any chance that the setlist from 20.04.92 in Lyon, which was also my first gig, is written down ? Remember that I desperately tried to know this setlist that nobody can confirm ? Can't remember if I heard Portobello Belle, Solid Rock, Wild Theme. 

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 11:38:51 PM »
Great !!!
Any chance that the setlist from 20.04.92 in Lyon, which was also my first gig, is written down ? Remember that I desperately tried to know this setlist that nobody can confirm ? Can't remember if I heard Portobello Belle, Solid Rock, Wild Theme.

I read the 1st chapter very quickly ("en diagonale") and this is the setlist described by the author :
Calling Elvis
Walk of life
Heavy fuel
romeo
the bug
Private investigations
sultans
two young lovers
your latest trick
on ever street
telegraph road

encores
MFN
Brothers
solid rock
wild theme

so no real surprise here. common setlist at the time

in my dreams I also thought during weeks after the gig that I had heard portobello but I think I confused with YLT. portobello is very unlikely in april 92....

I think that this info in the book is very reliable. the author seems to have attended the gig.
i 'll give more infos when I read the whole book  :)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 11:48:25 PM »
Great !!!

I read the 1st chapter very quickly ("en diagonale") and this is the setlist described by the author :
Calling Elvis
Walk of life
Heavy fuel
romeo
the bug
Private investigations
sultans
two young lovers
your latest trick
on ever street
telegraph road

encores
MFN
Brothers
solid rock
wild theme

so no real surprise here. common setlist at the time

in my dreams I also thought during weeks after the gig that I had heard portobello but I think I confused with YLT. portobello is very unlikely in april 92....

I think that this info in the book is very reliable. the author seems to have attended the gig.
i 'll give more infos when I read the whole book  :)
Thanks so much JF !
Well actually there is a real surprise: last time we had this discussion none of us could be sure about solid rock and wild theme, all the more that according to oneverbootleg.nl and various other sources, the next gig the day after, also in Lyon, did not feature these two !! Don't know what to think now...

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 04:23:29 PM »
Thanks for the tips JF. Bonne Année.

Envoyé de mon Ultym 5.2 en utilisant Tapatalk

But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 05:20:04 PM »
Actually JF, PB was not that unlikely in April 92, since it was played 2 days afterwards, on 22/04, in Grenoble :) well at least according to oneverbootleg, but we know that there are some mistakes.... Maybe the setlist without SR and WT labelled as "complete concert" on Lyon 21/04/92 is one of those mistakes !

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 11:13:15 PM »
Actually JF, PB was not that unlikely in April 92, since it was played 2 days afterwards, on 22/04, in Grenoble :) well at least according to oneverbootleg, but we know that there are some mistakes.... Maybe the setlist without SR and WT labelled as "complete concert" on Lyon 21/04/92 is one of those mistakes !

ah yes very strange : why play again just ONE TIME in the whole tour this song which was played only in Dublin, and why especially in Grenoble ?  ???
hey Jeroen, are you really sure of the source of this concert ?

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 11:16:29 PM »
Thanks so much JF !
Well actually there is a real surprise: last time we had this discussion none of us could be sure about solid rock and wild theme, all the more that according to oneverbootleg.nl and various other sources, the next gig the day after, also in Lyon, did not feature these two !! Don't know what to think now...

yes it seems we were "luckier" than people attending the day after : 2 more songs.....but instead of having TOL live....

I would have far much prefer to be able to say : yes I did hear TOL live, rather than having heard TR or wil theme, that I have heard later on other tours, and solid rock...well I don't mind

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 11:43:54 PM »
I started to read the book, and I discovered several infos I didn't know before.

maybe most of you already know them, but for all the others, here are some from the prologue and 1st chapter

- Dire Straits was officially disbanded in september 1988
- the first "big" gig with the pensa shur is not Mandela, but the prince trust at RAH few days before : 5 & 6 june 88
- Sue Hercombe is mentioned as Mark's girlfriend (regarding the discussion in the Holly Vincent thread)
- Mark and David's eldest sister Ruth played cello in a local orchestra
- Mark tried to learn to play piano at 6 and violin around 11 but stopped because he was tired to learn music theory
- Mark's Gibson Les paul Special was black before he repainted it in cherry red
- I thought that Southbound again was about his travels from Newcastle to London, but it was in fact about his travels from Buckhurst hill and Loughton to London
- I knew that Sultans was first composed ont the National in open G, but David even recall an original arrangement on piano
- When Mark and David heard the jazz band that inspired sultans, Mark himself asked them to play "Creole love call", and it gave the line "...and the sultans played creole..."
- When JJ Cale released after Midgnight in 72 on naturally, he had to change the arrangements to not sound like Clapton's version !
- joop de Korte was Squeeze's intruments tech, and he was there at the first DS gig, but he can't recall their set at all !
- the tour with Talking Heads was planned to continue in february 78, but David Byrne was exhausted and it was cancelled

to be continued on next chapter.... :wave

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 11:34:49 AM »
Very interesting, is it available just in French?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 06:17:13 PM »
I've just bought the book and read most of it.

It is interesting, but I fail to determine whether the guy is just compiling information from the Web, TV shows, and well-know stories (which alone would still be interesting) or whether he actually lived the stuff. I really hope that he actually attended Lyon 20/04/92 and that the setlist is correct... They are a few mistakes, like mixing "You and your friend" with "Me and my friend" (!) in the "On the Night" chapter. The guy is strongly opiniated about songs and live renditions, we got very personal opinions, like "You and your friend" is a pale copy of "Brothers in Arms" and "Planet of New Orleans" is dull and should not have been included on the OES album !! And the guy obviously HATE saxophone, especially in SoS and R&J...

Otherwisde, good and meaningly synthesis, well written, happy to have it for 17€ :)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 09:33:48 PM »

Mark when asked in interviews denied DS being disbanded.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 09:48:59 PM »
- the first "big" gig with the pensa shur is not Mandela, but the prince trust at RAH few days before : 5 & 6 june 88

Proof for nothing (and vid for free) :

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 12:33:53 PM »

Proof for nothing (and vid for free) :

It was actually the fourth because there were two warm-up gigs for the Mandela show after that as well! :)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 04:27:40 PM »

Mark when asked in interviews denied DS being disbanded.

yes I know, that's why I felt surprised when I read this. I don't know where the author got this info

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 38 queries.