Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Junkie Doll  (Read 8697 times)

Offlinezuzka

• Guitar George
    • deviantart
Junkie Doll
« on: January 03, 2016, 09:24:15 PM »
Sorry for the bit controversial topic (and my English also ;D),but I was always wondering about ´Junkie Doll´ song meaning. Some lines from the song clearly refers to drugs past and overcoming it. (´you spiked my arm,but you missed the vain...you took me high...Now it's all gone and now I´m clean´),etc. Do you think MK wrote this song about someone he has known or about himself? I am not ´making him saint´,but from all the books,media,etc. I have never read an information about him and dealing with drug addiction (unlike some of my other favourite musicians like Clapton, Stevie Ray,Pink Floyd,...etc) Your opinions?  :think

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
Re: Junkie Doll
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 09:40:42 PM »
I remember him once saying in an interview that he never did hard drugs. The reason was that he was sure he would like the effect so thats why he did not do it.
And also saying something like him being an adult when the breakthrough came, and that made it easier to "say no".

I dont think he is a Saint, but he does not seem like the type to do drugs. Far from it.   

Cheers Peter

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 03:00:27 AM »
At least, he has no any track marks, resulting from intravenous drug abuse, otherwise it would be noticeable.
And in any case, he has always cared for his arms and cherished them as the apple of his eye.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 01:11:09 PM »
But he admitted later to be a pot smoker during the early days of DS. I don't know when he stopped it.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 01:53:11 PM »
That's not a hard drug, I think most people did it in the '70's

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 09:24:11 PM »
I don't intended him to be on commonly called hard drugs but DS had a very "clean" image far away of the "Sex Drug and Rock N Roll" moto.

Pot is definitely a drug by the effects it has on human brain.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 12:00:35 AM »
was there not some coke on the scene at some high point during the straits days? BIA time?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 01:56:13 PM »
was there not some coke on the scene at some high point during the straits days? BIA time?

I think you're reffering to the thread you started yourself  :D :

http://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=3401.0

Offlinezuzka

• Guitar George
    • deviantart
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 02:03:22 PM »

I think you're reffering to the thread you started yourself  :D :

http://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=3401.0
Thank you JF :)

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 04:30:08 PM »
Probably a character song like MFN - it's not really him.

Doesn't speak well for Turnham Green or Turnpike Lane tube stations though!  Although I understand the latter has wonderful air vents designed by Harold Stabler still in-situ.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 06:45:10 PM »
JF you mean this line that Bobods wrote on there?
I vaguely remember reading an interview from the 80s (maybe EC tours) where Mark was asked about his writing style, if he ever tried to write under the influence of (I think it was) cocaine. He said no, he would like to find out if it would ignite his creativity, but he was too scared to try it.

probably.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 10:24:16 PM »
JF you mean this line that Bobods wrote on there?
I vaguely remember reading an interview from the 80s (maybe EC tours) where Mark was asked about his writing style, if he ever tried to write under the influence of (I think it was) cocaine. He said no, he would like to find out if it would ignite his creativity, but he was too scared to try it.

probably.

no I was thinking about the story told by Richard Branson about some pot with MK

regarding the BIA tour, I think it was more the "sport-body-building" era rather than coke...

OfflineMK-47

• Local Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 02:07:56 AM »
I always thought that there was some substance abuse during On Location tour. Whether it was just the alcohol or something more I don't know, but on some live shows you can clearly hear there is something "wrong" with Knopfler. And that BBC Arena documentary has some strange moments as well. Not that I mind if he did take some drugs, the music was good and he is still alive and well so  :thumbsup 

Offlinecaci99

• Guitar George
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 04:00:05 PM »
I have a book somewhere which is a collection of Mark Knopfler interviews during his Dire Straits era. It is in italian. I need to find it, since I have moved home that book is somewhere :).
Anyway, I do remember reading something about a meeting in London of some distribution company, can't recall Mercury or Universal, with Mark and John. They were discussing business, and after dinner the waiter came with a plate with some joints on it. Mark and John looked each other in the eyes and the moment after walked away, practically canceling the deal as well. Story was told by the guys of the company. But I need to find that book to quote it correctly.   
don't crash the ambulance, whatever you do

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 04:38:38 PM »
I have a book somewhere which is a collection of Mark Knopfler interviews during his Dire Straits era. It is in italian. I need to find it, since I have moved home that book is somewhere :).
Anyway, I do remember reading something about a meeting in London of some distribution company, can't recall Mercury or Universal, with Mark and John. They were discussing business, and after dinner the waiter came with a plate with some joints on it. Mark and John looked each other in the eyes and the moment after walked away, practically canceling the deal as well. Story was told by the guys of the company. But I need to find that book to quote it correctly.   

Yes, I remember reading about that and I think Richard Branson was connected to the story.   I'll try to remember!   :think    I think it was in a Greek restaurant somewhere in London. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 04:41:03 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 36 queries.