Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Knopfler at Chalke Valley History Fest 2016  (Read 32997 times)

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
Knopfler at Chalke Valley History Fest 2016
« on: February 26, 2016, 12:36:38 PM »
Historian, author and presenter James Holland has recently tweeted that MK will be performing at the Chalke Valley History Fest this summer. I cant find any other information about it as their website hasn't been updated from last year yet. Fingers crossed though. cvhf.org.uk

Offlinecrimmer

• Camerado
  • BLUESY man Chris
Re: Knopfler at Chalke Valley History Fest 2016
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 12:42:22 PM »
history and steam  and a little talk and playing by knopfler and fairly close to me:) looks like my sort of cuppa of tea , got wait until april to get tickets:))
SHANGR LA-2 concerts  KTGC-3 concerts 
ATRR- 1 concert GET LUCKY - 3 concerts
2011- 2 concerts PRIVATEERING- 6 concerts
TRACKER 6 concerts
DTRW Barcelona, leeds, Newcastle, RAH x2 ,Manchester, Birmingham,

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 01:22:48 PM »
Yeah this is not far for me so definitely gonna try everything to go. It looks like it's pretty official as its on their Facebook page as well.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 03:16:00 PM »
Finally. Real news!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 11:19:48 AM »
I was never interested in such events but as long as it looks like MK is not touring this year, it could be a good excuse to do a trip with my Knopflerian pals and meet a new part of Britain...

I saw in the website that it´s recommended to go by train (or any other way...) to Salisbury and from there take a bus to the show, or close to the show, it looks like easy to reach, so, maybe I'll give a thought.

Anyone has any idea of how much would cost the tickets? I know that they are not available yet, and it´s nor clear which day of July MK will take part but any information would be welcome to start doing plans about if it´s possible to go to this from Spain to my pals and me.

And of course it would be great to meet some of you!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 01:45:46 PM »
It depends if you have to pay extra to see MK, to get into the event is £15 on the day. I'm guessing he's doing the Saturday as they said they've got him in July when most of the event is at the end of June.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 01:56:25 PM »
It depends if you have to pay extra to see MK, to get into the event is £15 on the day. I'm guessing he's doing the Saturday as they said they've got him in July when most of the event is at the end of June.

That´s the thing... If you buy tickets to the MK show, you have to pay the general entry apart, or the MK show ticket already allow you to enter to the whole thing, obviously excluding those shows that require tickets?

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 09:34:17 PM »
This is taking part only 40 mins from where we live so will be definately attending this event.....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 02:51:17 AM »
This is not far from where I live and I have been to the Chalke Valley History Festival before. I was first prompted to go by the presence of Eric "Winkle" Brown, who recently died - a man with an amazing aviation career and a man who I first saw at a Test Pilots forum in London over 50 years earlier.  It is a sizable event but nothing as big as the major music festivals. And it is more sedate affair. In my opinion, some of those attending go because they see it more as a local social occasion.

WHERE? It is held  in what "townies" would tend to call "the middle of nowhere", quite a long way from any main roads.  It takes place in a valley in the countryside in a farmer's field - in fact in a series of farmer's fields.  You may not realise you are actually there until you are actually there.

Some of the fields are used for parking, another for historical re-enactments and the like, and I seem to recall a field for camping or caravans but I'm not sure.  The talks and presentations take place in large tents around another field. On the weekdays, the presentations tend to be in the evenings but, at the weekends, they take place throughout the day and into the evening and several presentations take place at the same time. There are eating and drinking places on-site (quite good quality in my experience but not that cheap). They have picnic areas if you wish to take your own food. There is usually a tent with a temporary bookshop where any presenter with a book to sell will usually autograph a copy. Other than that, it is open-air, which leads me to ........

THE WEATHER: If the day is sunny, it is glorious. If, on the other hand, the weather looks bad, prepare well in terms of clothing. These are farm fields, so suitable footwear may also be required. You will not, on the other hand, be required to sit around in wet fields (like some music festivals), merely walking across those fields. They are basically stubble but, even so, I'm sure they can get pretty muddy.

TRAVELLING BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT. My advice is not to go by public transport.  The train service to Salisbury is pretty good, with trains from four directions, not just London, but the bus service is not so good. I haven't checked the nearest bus but this is a rural service (from Salisbury to Shaftesbury, I think) running though a succession of small villages along country lanes.  If you decide to go by train and bus, then check the time of the last bus back to Salisbury because the service may stop before the end of MK's performance, and then check the time of the last train back to wherever. I don't know exactly but I just say: CHECK CAREFULLY. The festival site is not a place to be stuck at night.

TRAVEL BY CAR. My advice is to follow the temporary signposts to the site. If you have a SatNav, it may well take you on a route that is shorter but it may not be the best way. These lanes can be quite narrow in places, with twists and turns, and ups and downs, and the signposted routes tend to mean that most of the vehicles are travelling in the same direction.

TICKETS: I believe these go on sale in about a month's time.  Those who succeeded in booking tickets on-line this week have had their money refunded and have been told to try again later. No tickets have been issued yet. And you will have to buy a ticket for the MK presentation. Even if you go to the Festival, you will not get into the MK presentation itself without a ticket for it. The tents are all seated (though they sometimes allow a bit of standing around the sides) and they cannot hold more than a certain number of people.

Good luck.

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 08:56:29 AM »
Thanks for the advice and background information. To me, the scenery seems like a perfect backdrop for a Midsumer Murder's episode.  ;D  :wave
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 08:57:07 AM »
Do you mean that if you don't go by car there won't be public transport prepared for the festival? The usual is that festivals set up transport for that days

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 02:04:35 PM »
I have never seen special bus services in previous years and I doubt that they will provide special buses this year. It started as a much smaller event some years ago, for which special bus arrangements were not justified, and everyone turned up by car. The event has grown but, while it is much bigger than the Bridport appearance a while back,  it is much smaller than most music festivals. The subject matter (history) appeals to a much smaller and narrower range of people, most of whom have cars.

If you're wondering why MK would appear at a history festival, I understand that he will talk about songs inspired by people and events in history and then play those songs.

One year, they arranged an air display by old aircraft on the Saturday afternoon, so families came and the country lanes just got so clogged by traffic that many people missed the start of the air display. They still have aircraft but, rather than have the display at a set time during the day, they spread them out over the day and this has overcome the traffic problem.

If you plan to go, then I would strongly suggest that you drive or hire a car. If you're coming from abroad, then (1) remember that you will driving along fairly narrow country lanes and (2) I would also suggest that you arrange to stay somewhere overnight, probably two nights. That's my view, anyway.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 02:13:04 PM »
Thank you very much!

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 01:26:17 PM »
Does anyone know what this will be?
Is it like Bridport some years ago, MK talking about stuff and playing some tunes in between or will this be a real gig?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 38 queries.