Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Knopfler at Chalke Valley History Fest 2016  (Read 32950 times)

OnlineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
Re: Knopfler at Chalke Valley History Fest 2016
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2016, 03:59:22 PM »
Excited to see its a small band joining him. The organisers have warned that its very muddy on site and to bring wellies. I havnt owned wellies since I was about 10.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2016, 04:27:45 PM »
Yes, I am too looking forward to tomorrow. Welly wise I am like you and haven't owned a pair since my younger days! Oh well Hiking boots will have to do!! See you tomorrow... :wave
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2016, 10:23:31 AM »
No wellies! Shame on you! Part of our birthright. Anyway, I've just had my walking boots re-soled and returned to me this week.

The weather in this part of England is brief spells of sunshine but largely dull, with lots of clouds and a definite threat of rain, probably showers but it could be heavy at times.

So, be-booted or be-wellied, it's out with the umbrellas, the shower-proof trousers and the layers of suitable clothing and just hope for the best. Maybe put some towels in the car, just in case we get drenched.

OfflineKay Edvin

• Camerado
  • MK - my hero!
    • MK Norge (Norwegian MK Fanclub)
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2016, 10:19:02 PM »
The setlist tonight according to Jarle who attended the show:
1. Privateering
2. Haul Away
3. Mighty Man
4. Sailing to Philadelphia
5. Done With Bonaparte
6. Occupation Blues
7. Piper to the end
"The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears"

Onlineknopfler1

• Camerado
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2016, 10:28:32 PM »
Just got back to my hotel after the show. Personally I thought it was fantastic. Nice set list! Mark was in good form.The only downside to it all was the fact that the "friends of the festival" we're allowed into the tent before fans who had been queueing up to get in!

Managed to record audio of all songs so will see how they turned out when I get home.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2016, 11:01:55 PM »
Thanks guys!  :clap

Could've guessed the set.  In fact I think I did, except for OB and PTTE!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 11:16:25 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2016, 11:18:25 PM »
Was a fantastic show! Very muddy on site but the music was amazing. Chatted with Guy before and also spied MK & Kitty walking around the festival too but left them to it. Yes the only gripe was the first 10 rows were full of 'Hooray Henry's who liked chatting during the performance! I have however a good recording which once I've sorted will make available....MK in good playing mood...

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinewespresso

• Camerado
  • Stick at it..
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2016, 11:37:23 PM »
Occupation blues. Really interesting looking forward to hear some of the audio that has been recorded!

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2016, 02:37:09 AM »
Beforehand, MK and some of his family were seen in the public food area, partaking of fish 'n' chips. We didn’t see this as we were at a presentation on King Alfred, the monarch who saved this country from a complete takeover by the Vikings. However, you may recall that I said, beforehand, it was not unusual to see presenters around the site during the course of the day.

In his presentation, MK was quite loose and, he suggested, improvising quite a bit.  Doubtless, the recording mentioned will show this.  What an audio recording will not show is the succession of book covers shown large on the screen above and behind MK, indicating, if not the inspiration of particular songs, some degree of influence – in tone and context, if not lyrical content.

As I have said before, I really only know MK through his live performances, so could not recall “Occupation Blues”. This was illustrated by a book entitled “Naples ’44 - An intelligence officer in the Italian Labyrinth” by Norman Lewis. At one point, MK read an extract from a book; I think it was “Rifleman - A Front-Line Life From Alamein and Dresden to the Fall of the Berlin Wall” by Victor Gregg (with Rick Stroud). Rick Stroud was the linkman talking with MK between songs. 

When we got inside the tent but before the presentation, MK was bending down to talk to a much older man in the front row, whom I could only see from the rear but, to me, he looked like a veteran and I wondered if it might be Victor Gregg himself. Does anybody know?

After his presentation, MK sat at the front and signed a few things.

The tent was large, holding about 800 people and was more or less full.

The mud at the festival was bad, not spectacularly deep but very squelchy, like a layer of dirty blancmange across virtually the whole site. It was thick enough that, even wearing wellies and walking carefully in order not to slip, splats of mud splashed up on trousers well above knee height.  Many cars had problems  getting out of the car park, sitting there with wheels spinning. Some of the tents used by exhibitors and retailers offered no respite from the mud even inside and supposedly under cover; a few were under water in parts. The large tents where the presentations took place didn't have these problems.

Finally, yes, there were two queues to get in: the "Friends of the festival" queue and the queue for regular festival goers. However, the “Friends” were not the people in the first nine or ten rows, which were reserved by the sponsors for themselves, their clients, their families etc.    So, even "Friends" were in the tenth or eleventh rows, at best, but there were quite a few fans in those rows. Incidentally, anyone could become a "Friend", as clearly stated on the website, and they were allowed in ahead of the rest.  Those in the reserved row in front of us were reasonably quiet and some seemed to enjoy it as well, standing up quickly at the end to clap MK, who got a standing ovation.

[Back there tomorrow, mud permitting, for a presentation on the first monarch to be declared King of England, Athelstan, grandson of Alfred, sadly little-known by most English people and someone who has long intrigued me]
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 02:43:19 AM by twm »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2016, 08:14:09 AM »
Thanks everyone - glad you enjoyed the show.    I look forward to hearing the recordings.    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2016, 11:14:56 AM »
Thanks for your review twm.  Your reviews really do impart a strong imagery to me.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineBluebird

• Local Hero
    • Meine kleine Mark Knopfler Website
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2016, 02:13:19 PM »
Here you can see some pictures of MK and Band

https://twitter.com/CVHISTORYFEST/with_replies?lang=de

Bluebird

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2016, 03:06:26 PM »
Wow great. I'd love to hear OB. Love that song. Thanks so much for the reviews! Really nice read.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2016, 03:52:40 PM »
Again TWM has summed it all up again perfectly. Yes we saw MK mooching about the festival too. Had a lovely chat with Guy, John & Mike too. Yes the mud was that bad that we had to be pushed out the car park!! I have to say Occupation Blues is awesome and the recording is good..

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2016, 06:59:02 PM »
Here's the photo:

Photo © insidewiltshire.co.uk

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 37 queries.