Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Ampliflier Question: Which Tubes With Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for clean MK tone?  (Read 2466 times)

OfflineGuitarman1972

• Camerado
I got me a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III "Western Noir" Limited Edition yesterday. And I would like to know if anyone here has some recommendations/suggestions when it comes to tubes for getting a nice clean but warm tone to approach the Knopfler sound.

All my life I have been playing on solid state amplifiers. So I haven got experience with the several Tube brands. I checked out some tube comparison webpages, but still find it difficult to decide which ones to get. Anyone out there with some experience in this area who can give me some pointers?

https://www.tubedepot.com/tube-comparison-tool
http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/Product-Reviews/12AX7-Tube-Reviews

Btw, I am already aware of the 12AX7 to 12AT7 modification to get things more suitable for bedroom volume levels. To keep the peace with the neighbours.  ;D

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
If you're really into this sort of thing I highly recommend Aspen Pitmans The Tube Amp Book. Apart from being a really beautiful book on all things amps, he has a whole section dedicated to the 'characteristics' of different valves, very detailed info. The edition I have even has fold out schematics of classic Fender tweed and blackfaces, I've always thought Aspen has the intention that should there ever be a nuclear disaster on the planet, that valve amps should be the first thing we rebuild!
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineGuitarman1972

• Camerado
Tnx Fletch, I will check out the book of Pitmans.

OfflineLevelsHigh

• Guitar George
Also check out the Kendrick Amplifiers website. Gerald Weber has been building boutique amps (and servicing all amp brands for years). His instructional books and DVDs are FANTASTIC, and you can learn everything there is to know about tube amps.
Here is the link to the books and DVDs on their website:

http://www.kendrick-amplifiers.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=KOS&Category_Code=054
(Disclaimer: I have absolutely no affiliation with Kendrick; I post this link as a customer who thinks they do a fantastic job and provide really great customer service). You could probably find these titles on Amazon, Ebay, etc...

Kendrick serviced my '76 silver face Twin Reverb years ago, and they did a great job.

Other thoughts on your tube question:
Do some google searches on mods for the modern fender amps. You'll find all kinds of suggestions. In particular, I know some people have found that replacing the filter caps and a few other key components go a long way to "improving" the sound of these amps (although IMHO sound quite good out of the box).

Anyway, welcome to the rabbit hole that is the world of tube amps! :wave

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 36 queries.