Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Meeting Mark  (Read 4470 times)

Offlineknopflertom

• Camerado
Meeting Mark
« on: May 19, 2016, 10:10:32 PM »
Hi I'm currently in London and I saw Mark today.
I was so paralysied that I was not  able to say anything to him. Has anybody met him also? What could be his reaction, if I asked him for an autograph and perhaps a picture?

Best regards,

Thomas
Greetz Tom

Dortmund , Cologne 2015 done
Barcelona, RAH 21st, Oberhausen

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
Re: Meeting Mark
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 10:13:06 PM »
more details please.... ;D :clap :clap :clap :clap

Offlineknopflertom

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 10:29:12 PM »
That's all. I walked through chelsea and he passed me by. We were the only people on the street (which I won' t mention due to privacy reasons.  :)
Greetz Tom

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 11:26:58 PM »
It was a year ago today that Ingrid and I met him at the Glasgow meet and greet!  Time flies.

I know he values his privacy highly but if there was nobody else there and he wasn't with anyone (his family e.g.) then I can't imagine why he would mind taking a few seconds out of his time for you.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 12:37:15 AM »
Hi I'm currently in London and I saw Mark today.
I was so paralysied that I was not  able to say anything to him. Has anybody met him also? What could be his reaction, if I asked him for an autograph and perhaps a picture?

Best regards,

Thomas

I imagine this situation and beyond any circumstances I would never tell him anything just one the street.

I bet 99.9% he WOULD give you some time, but with many curse words in mind.

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 05:58:23 AM »
I'm currently in London and I saw Mark today.

Lucky you. Such fleeting glimpses of luckiness make our life richer, don't they?

What could be his reaction, if I asked him for an autograph and perhaps a picture?

Your question is unanswerable, the irrevocable yesterday doesn't know the conditional conjunction if
Can you describe his mood?

Offlineknopflertom

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 09:37:27 AM »
He looked quite relaxed I think.  :hmm
Greetz Tom

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 12:41:21 PM »
While touring or for public activities Mark when in mood to do so is fan friendly, you can ask him for an autograph.

By "in mood to do so" I mean if he see you alone or very small group  he can make his car stop. Of course it depends of circumstance and if there more than 5 or 10 people he probably would not stop.

But even in public activities, unless it is a planned shoot, for 10 or 15 years now he really doesn't like that picture to be taken while signing. If he see someone doing so he stops everything and leave.

Now in everyday life Mark is very private, he stated in interview that when in his local pub he likes to be NOT recognised.

So meeting him in the street I really don't know how he would react if a fan tried to say him hello.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 12:43:32 PM by ds1984 »
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 02:30:58 PM »
He looked quite relaxed I think.  :hmm

Well, we can try to simulate the situation, proceeding from that little you noticed, but you also are to understand that most times he uses tried and tested behavioral patterns in defense of his privacy. In particular, taking a solitary walk. I suppose, he is hardly aiming to become a focus of attention 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 02:37:26 PM by Throttle »

Offlinesingv

• Camerado
  • Down that long highway
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 10:56:20 PM »
So, I have "met" with Mark twice...both times during the Tracker tour last year.

First time was at Durham (North Carolina, USA) venue when I was standing with my dusty old acoustic guitar for an autograph...he walked right up to me and standing 1 foot away he said.."hey man, play me a tune". Now, even though I have tried I really can't play guitar and I told him that honestly. Then he says.."come on, play something". I was stunned/embarrassed/flabbergasted! There were 4-5 other folks there, in addition to Paul Crockford, Pete McKay etc. So I strummed the guitar a bit while he signed autographs...and then he walked away. Didn't sign my guitar...maybe he thought I was an Ebay type autograph hunter, which I'm obviously not. Some folks said they felt bad for me but I wasn't upset at all! I have many MK autographs, and the opportunity to have a 1-on-1 exchange with him was amazing. I was happy!  :D

Second time was a few days later at the Charleston (South Carolina) venue. I was with my 11 year old son, waiting outside the venue. There were no other fans around. Mark was in the lead car, just him and the driver...his driver stopped the car and asked us to come to the other side of the car...MK rolled down the window and talked to us for a minute or so. He asked my son his name and how old he was, took my son's kid size guitar into the car and signed it, observing that his guitar was "very nice"...its a Martin, of course! He also gave a personalized autograph on the Tracker program book. Later that evening during the show, he noticed that venue security was giving us a hard time (we were in the front row and were dancing) so he walked up to us during the encore and shook our hands, and also gave my son a signature MK pick made by Martin & Co. We had a great day, to say the least!! Thanks Mark! :clap :clap :wave :wave
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 10:59:22 PM by singv »
Spirits call from way beyond
Lord I may not disobey...

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 01:51:32 AM »
If Mark were asking me to play something for him, I would probably played 'The Ragpicker's Dream' for him.
At least I tried to come up with something from the top of my head right after singv's post.
But unfortunately, I would not give him a guitar to sign anyway, I don't get the idea.
If he were to GIVE me one of his guitars, I understand the sign. But on its own...

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 12:13:20 PM »
So, I have "met" with Mark twice...both times during the Tracker tour last year.

First time was at Durham (North Carolina, USA) venue when I was standing with my dusty old acoustic guitar for an autograph...he walked right up to me and standing 1 foot away he said.."hey man, play me a tune". Now, even though I have tried I really can't play guitar and I told him that honestly. Then he says.."come on, play something". I was stunned/embarrassed/flabbergasted! There were 4-5 other folks there, in addition to Paul Crockford, Pete McKay etc. So I strummed the guitar a bit while he signed autographs...and then he walked away. Didn't sign my guitar...maybe he thought I was an Ebay type autograph hunter, which I'm obviously not. Some folks said they felt bad for me but I wasn't upset at all! I have many MK autographs, and the opportunity to have a 1-on-1 exchange with him was amazing. I was happy!  :D

Second time was a few days later at the Charleston (South Carolina) venue. I was with my 11 year old son, waiting outside the venue. There were no other fans around. Mark was in the lead car, just him and the driver...his driver stopped the car and asked us to come to the other side of the car...MK rolled down the window and talked to us for a minute or so. He asked my son his name and how old he was, took my son's kid size guitar into the car and signed it, observing that his guitar was "very nice"...its a Martin, of course! He also gave a personalized autograph on the Tracker program book. Later that evening during the show, he noticed that venue security was giving us a hard time (we were in the front row and were dancing) so he walked up to us during the encore and shook our hands, and also gave my son a signature MK pick made by Martin & Co. We had a great day, to say the least!! Thanks Mark! :clap :clap :wave :wave
Wonderful memories for your son and you singv.. So happy for both of you. Enjoy your sunday.

Envoyé de mon Ultym 5.2 en utilisant Tapatalk

But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

OfflineBrianT

• Camerado
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 12:24:44 AM »
30th October 2015, Ruth Eckerd Hall, Clearwater Florida.

I waited outside the venue, for about 2 1/2hrs in 31 deg temps.
He arrived late around 5:30pm

All was worth it when the 3 Black SUV's came into sight. I was alone at the gate
standing off to the side, the gates where open so they could drive right in.

My heart was pounding hoping they would stop, well the 1st SUV did stop and the rear window rolled down.
There was my hero, we chatted for 1 to 2 mins, about the tour, The Basil Bainbridge book I had and a couple of other things I can not remember.

He signed 3 items for me, my MK strat, a vinyl copy of Ragpickers and a peom book by Basil Bainbridge  that had been on
tour with myself and my wife, we had every forum member that we met sign it, at the 10 shows we went to. Some
members 2 or 3 times.

What a great 2 mins it was for me. ;D ;D ;D

Brian

Devialet 440PRO - Audioprana SP/DIF-AES/EBU cable,
VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, Raysonic 168 CDP, Mac Mini Music Server,
AudioQuest Diamond USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Auditorium 23 Cables, Carver TX11 Tuner.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 10:12:12 PM »
Ace!

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 36 queries.