Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Portobello Belle MFN comp  (Read 11157 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Portobello Belle MFN comp
« on: May 27, 2016, 09:52:26 AM »
this morning I listened to the MFN comp in the car.
I love this version which is from 23/06/83.
Of course I prefer to listen to the version from the bootleg which is complete with the fantastic outro and the outstanding Mark's solo, responding to Mal Collins' sax

But the sound is of course better on the MFN comp, and what struck me this morning is that Hal is mixed on the left and Mark on the right.
I remember reading that Mark was very much involved in this comp, so I bet that he mixed himself the song.
So it's interesting to hear from his point of view : Hal was playing on his left, so he mixed him on the left, while of course Hal was on the right of the stage from the audience point of view

I don't remember the TR remix for now, will check when I listen to it this evening

OfflineMaroretto

• Local Hero
Re: Portobello Belle MFN comp
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 11:09:26 AM »
 lZbTVw5JeGc

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 06:49:29 PM »
lZbTVw5JeGc

yes this is this one, but 2 mistakes on the YT title :

- this version is from 23 june 1983, not 22 july
- Alchemy is not 22 july, but 23 july (except for the ending on solid rock which si from 22)

as for the bootleg recording I always doubted if it was really audience....sometimes it sounds soundboard
I know that no soundboard from the LOG tour exists except the official Alchemy, but as the version on the MFN comp is labelled "june 83" on the CD booklet, I always wondered if a sdb recording could have surfaced as bootleg but with a "worse" song than the real thing

OfflineTerry82

• Camerado
  • We are the Sultans of Swing
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 09:14:01 PM »
Someone have the 23.06.83 recordingfor me? Or only the song portobello belle
The record that i have labeled as 23 june.. it´s a different version from the SBD and AUD mix of YT
I don´t need to be the king of rock; because i´m the Sultan of Swing.

OfflineMontandon

• Guitar George
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 09:38:51 PM »
lZbTVw5JeGc

yes this is this one, but 2 mistakes on the YT title :

- this version is from 23 june 1983, not 22 july
- Alchemy is not 22 july, but 23 july (except for the ending on solid rock which si from 22)

as for the bootleg recording I always doubted if it was really audience....sometimes it sounds soundboard
I know that no soundboard from the LOG tour exists except the official Alchemy, but as the version on the MFN comp is labelled "june 83" on the CD booklet, I always wondered if a sdb recording could have surfaced as bootleg but with a "worse" song than the real thing

Many soundboard recordings was made in LOG tour, they had to have alternatives. As we know, 23/07 was the choice to become Alchemy.
I believe all this unused stuff is the Saint Graal for DS fans...

OfflineTobben

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 10:52:21 PM »
On 23.06.1983 they played in Paris...

OfflineBrunno Nunes- (Universo Dire Straits)

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 08:11:59 PM »
Montandon, in which case you believe the show on 6/23/83 Paris, was shot and what might have been the Alchemy?

Another curious point, listening to Portobello Belle version of the MFN comp and compared to the version of the same song on the bootleg 23/06/83 Paris, one sees both are very similar, I would say 98% equal, the divergence MYSTERIOUS is that the bootleg 23/06/83 Paris, the only differences are in 4:17 (Irish Irish girl), 4:45 (blind man singing Irish), these points of Portobello Belle version of the MFN comp Knoplfer interprets differently when he sings, which would be that? Some kind of mixing?
Visit my Blog- Universo dire Straits (Since 2007) http://universodirestraits.blogspot.com.br/

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 10:08:28 PM »
I think it would be easy for the MFN version to sound very similar apart from in minute details to any other on the tour. DS were so polished by this stage that any margin for error was very minor : in some ways this is why I find no desire really to listen to other bootlegs from this tour as Alchemy is such a good representation.

I would like to believe Portobello Belle was from Paris, alas I don't see it myself. In the Mike Oldfield book (or another source) Mark talks about "being given a whole bunch of tapes to listen to of the Hammersmith gigs but just going for the Saturday night, as this is always the best night" or something like that. So we know other gigs were recorded, but id imagine it was easier to use an outtake from Alchemy rather than start from scratch with another reel.

You also have to remember recording live back then was not a cheap thing. The Rolling Stones mobile probably cost a small fortune to hire and this would have limited the number of shows they could record.  So in summary, I reckon Portobello Belle is just an out take from Alchemy , rebranded date wise for marketing on the MGM compilation.

OfflineMontandon

• Guitar George
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 12:53:11 AM »
Montandon, in which case you believe the show on 6/23/83 Paris, was shot and what might have been the Alchemy?

Another curious point, listening to Portobello Belle version of the MFN comp and compared to the version of the same song on the bootleg 23/06/83 Paris, one sees both are very similar, I would say 98% equal, the divergence MYSTERIOUS is that the bootleg 23/06/83 Paris, the only differences are in 4:17 (Irish Irish girl), 4:45 (blind man singing Irish), these points of Portobello Belle version of the MFN comp Knoplfer interprets differently when he sings, which would be that? Some kind of mixing?

Yes, wildstraits, Paris could be the the Alchemy, but it was not the choice.

And you are right, Portobello from Paris is IDENTICAL the MFN version except for the parts you said. Bacause of this I am shure there was some edits in final version released in MfN comp.

We all know, Mark never play the same song in the same way twice... there is no doubt Portobello is from Paris.

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 05:12:25 AM »
I fully agree, Montandon, I have no doubt that Portobello Belle version of the MFN comp is the same in Paris (23/06/1983), just like to know what have they done in points 4:17 (Irish Irish girl) 4:45 (blind man singing Irish) recording bootleg to put on MFN comp.

Will other shows LOG tour were filmed? Concerning the OES tour, they know that the band provided the filming of some shows, at least, of course, we know that the shows in Feyenoord Stadium, Rotterdam, Holland and Les Arenes, Nimes, France, MABOS in May 1992 were filmed. I do not understand how even today, with all available technology was not yet available the ALCHEMY in full, with industrial, LOG, Twistting and Portobello Belle ... Even the dvd On the Night could be released with a bonus, perhaps with Tunnel of Love Feyenoord Stadium, Rotterdam, Holland or Telegraph Road in Les Arenes, Nimes, France?

Anyway ... all of these releases are quite modest compared to other band releases and artists of the same size of the DS and MK.!  :-\
Visit my Blog- Universo dire Straits (Since 2007) http://universodirestraits.blogspot.com.br/

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 09:53:36 AM »
yes Portobello Belle from teh MFN comp is Paris 23/06/83 for sure, it's not from Alchemy night. I bet Mark did some edits, taking parts from another night because he didn't like the way he sung these words.
(On the TOL intro  of this gig you can hear someone shouting "Assise !" (= sit down ! in french) in the audience, so yes this is Paris ;D )

In the same way, by remixing Twisting by the pool he chose to mix down his voice just before the solo, I suppose because he didn't like the way he shot out !

I find some strange things aboith this comp : Mark was very involved in this comp (I read in an itw), meaning He spent lot of time in choosing songs order, remixing, etc... but why did he choose these really bad radio edits from BIA and MFN ? and why WDYTYG was not labelled as "demo" on the booklet ?

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 10:15:01 PM »
Very interesting these questions. It is interesting to note that the points 4:17 (Irish Irish girl) 4:45 (blind man singing Irish) recording bootleg to put on MFN comp in no bootleg 1983 he plays the way that contained the MFN comp, I believe he may have recorded these parts in 1988 when he produced this comp. And indeed, it is very curious the presence of WDYTYG demo and also do not specify in the liner notes that information.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 10:52:16 PM »
Yes, probably just rerecorded it in a studio. Alchemy wss almost unique in live albums of the time in that it was, to all intents and purposes, actually live.

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 08:33:45 AM »
yes you are right most likely rerecorded in studio 88, my first idea of another night is not right

I agree about Alchemy, but again, why did he choose to edit the vocal intro in TOL ? just two lines he didn't like ? :hmm

OfflineStiglar

• Local Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 01:00:33 PM »
Just on another note with this recording, Who plays the solo at 6:51? Is it mark? and what guitar is it? I'm thinking he changed to the TOL strat later when he plays the next solo etc... quite a unique guitar sound, I really love that MK made a unique best of with MFN. The alternate version of WDYTYG (which in itself isn't one of their big hits) and portobello belle live version etc. Something quite special for the fans as opposed to the stock standard compilation albums (and the next 2 that came out)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 38 queries.