Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Portobello Belle MFN comp  (Read 11132 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Portobello Belle MFN comp
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 03:02:15 PM »
I think its Hal
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 03:55:16 PM »
Yes it's Hal.
Mark starts soloing at 8:09 with the red schecter strat. he switchs to the sunburst strat during the sax bridge between end of PB and beginning of TOL

in 80-81 Hal's solo was awful, almost out of tune.
in 82-83, I find that his playing improved a lot and fits more with the band's sound.
like he says in the oldfield book : Before Dire Straits my style was to crank up the amp and that was all. Mark helped me to "smooth things" ("arrondir les angles" in french)

I agree that the MFN comp was great at the time because of this unreleased material, but he should have include more, for example the complete portobello belle, live stuff from BIA tour, B-sides like eastbound train or badges, etc...
and one of my holy grail is to listen one day to the entire communique demos, like this WDYTYG version.
in the Oldfield book, it's explained that the band recorded all songs in London during fall 79, and this version comes from these sessions, and Barry Beckett says :"the album is already done, we just have to do it again"

OfflineStiglar

• Local Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 04:22:48 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up! :)

OfflineMontandon

• Guitar George
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 07:10:44 PM »
yes you are right most likely rerecorded in studio 88, my first idea of another night is not right

I agree about Alchemy, but again, why did he choose to edit the vocal intro in TOL ? just two lines he didn't like ? :hmm

Interesting...i was thinking they used some pieces from another concert. But for shure they could be record it in studio.
We all know that he did it on Private Investigation comp when he re-does all the Darling Pretty vocals...

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 07:15:05 PM »
I was wondering if there is a remastered version of this compilation. sS all other DS records are available with remastered sound, I'd guess there may be some contractual issue.
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 07:59:25 PM »
I'm not really fond of PB on the LOG tour and think the edit was really a necessity.  The complete version may be fine when you are actually there, but listening at home it is a bit tedious.  The thing doesn't get going until about 1:45 - 2:00 in, then the outro is a bit hit and miss.  The Paris version (link this thread) is quite repetitive and doesn't have any real merit.  In fact, Mark's playing is a little rough at the start of his solo but I don't think it would've been included at full-length anyway.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineIngo

• Camerado
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 08:18:31 PM »
Yes it's Hal.
Mark starts soloing at 8:09 with the red schecter strat. he switchs to the sunburst strat during the sax bridge between end of PB and beginning of TOL

and one of my holy grail is to listen one day to the entire communique demos, like this WDYTYG version.
in the Oldfield book, it's explained that the band recorded all songs in London during fall 79, and this version comes from these sessions, and Barry Beckett says :"the album is already done, we just have to do it again"

PB was a black Fender Strat, tuned to open G with a capo at 3rd. There was a thread about it here in the forum somewhere.
I also would love to listen to the other Communique demos one day, from all the stuff we know it was recorded this would be my number one wish, plus more of the Hope & Anchor gig (where Eastbound Train was recorded, it has such a great sound). You mean fall 78!
my Mark Knopfler guitar style website:
http://www.mk-guitar.com/

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2016, 10:57:40 PM »
I stand corrected : interesting to hear it is from Paris : there's a whole gig lurking in the archives then which could find release one day then. Not for now then.

OfflineTerry82

• Camerado
  • We are the Sultans of Swing
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2016, 03:27:28 AM »
The record i have labeled as Paris 23/06/83 is completely different to the link of YT that really is Paris 23/06/83..
Can anyone share with me the real Paris 23/06/83?
I don´t need to be the king of rock; because i´m the Sultan of Swing.

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2016, 08:36:33 AM »
Does anyone have some gum?   
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2016, 12:31:00 PM »
The record i have labeled as Paris 23/06/83 is completely different to the link of YT that really is Paris 23/06/83..
Can anyone share with me the real Paris 23/06/83?

http://tracker.knopflertk.net/torrents-details.php?id=1180
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2016, 08:29:43 AM »
You mean fall 78!

yes of course. what was I thinking about  :smack

PB was a black Fender Strat, tuned to open G with a capo at 3rd. There was a thread about it here in the forum somewhere.

ah thanks for the info.
the only reference I had was you old page  :)
http://ds.mk-guitar.com/songlist.htm

so it means that PB was played in open tuning in 82-83 ? if memory serves, the song was played on the national on the first leg of the tour and it didn't feature the long outro nor the link with TOL (e.g. gigs from december 82), and then he switched for eletric later (early 83 ?)
if we count that the song was playd also in open tunning in 80-81, in 91, and in studio, it means that the only time he palyed it in standard tunning was Barbarella's 78 and the second half of 79

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2016, 08:48:58 AM »
I'm not really fond of PB on the LOG tour and think the edit was really a necessity.  The complete version may be fine when you are actually there, but listening at home it is a bit tedious.  The thing doesn't get going until about 1:45 - 2:00 in, then the outro is a bit hit and miss.  The Paris version (link this thread) is quite repetitive and doesn't have any real merit.  In fact, Mark's playing is a little rough at the start of his solo but I don't think it would've been included at full-length anyway.

so different tastes ! :)

indeed the lick is repetitive, but the background growing (Hal's rhythm for example) makes a crescendo/tension/climax and I like it
I find the lick far more complexe than the sultans ending for example, and I far prefer the harmony with sax on this song than on sultans in 85 and 92
I also love the intro with mark explaining the musical ambiance from the west end
in the intro each instrument is introduced and joines in for the song, and in the outro each musician says "goodbye" by stopping to play after being introduced
almost each member has his moment : Tommy plays the leitmotiv irish line, Hal and Alan have a solo, the Sax is gorgeous, and the rhythmic section Terry-John changes from reggae-claypso-ballad-rock
and last but not least, if you listen to it in a row with TOL, it gives you an almost 30 min piece of amazing music, of course, all in my humble opinion  :)

I find that this song version blends romantism and energy, ballad and lyrism, etheral guitar and slow pace, well can't find the words, but I like it   :P

OfflineTerry82

• Camerado
  • We are the Sultans of Swing
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2016, 12:13:05 AM »
Notice that i compared both versions (the portobello mfn compilation and the recording from Paris 23/06) and, in my opinion, are different recordings
I don´t need to be the king of rock; because i´m the Sultan of Swing.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2016, 11:17:25 AM »
Notice that i compared both versions (the portobello mfn compilation and the recording from Paris 23/06) and, in my opinion, are different recordings

the only differences are small vocal edits that wildstraits pointed out

all the rest is 100% identical, with a different sound/mixing of course

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 36 queries.