Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Portobello Belle MFN comp  (Read 11056 times)

OnlineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: Portobello Belle MFN comp
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2016, 11:22:10 AM »
We all know that he did it on Private Investigation comp when he re-does all the Darling Pretty vocals...

maybe you're right but at I always thought that it was just a vocal outtake from the GH sessions

I dont' see why mark would have re-recorded the vocal part in 2005.
But he could have found in the recordings archives another vocal take that he prefered then

It happens sometimes. on the CSN comp "Carry on" from 91, there are several songs with just a different mixing, and suite judy blue eyes has all identical to the original version, except 2 lines sung by stills that are different : just a different take, but from 69, clearly not from 91.

OfflineMontandon

• Guitar George
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2016, 05:12:07 AM »
Between 1996 and 1999 Marks voice was very bad, probably because cigarettes...after this period, he quite smokes and his voice on Sailing to Philadelphia was clearly better, and even better on Ragpickers Dream. Thats the why I Believe he re-record the vocal for Darling Pretty in 2005. His voice in this re-recording is as smooth as Shangri-la.

We all know that he did it on Private Investigation comp when he re-does all the Darling Pretty vocals...

maybe you're right but at I always thought that it was just a vocal outtake from the GH sessions

I dont' see why mark would have re-recorded the vocal part in 2005.
But he could have found in the recordings archives another vocal take that he prefered then

It happens sometimes. on the CSN comp "Carry on" from 91, there are several songs with just a different mixing, and suite judy blue eyes has all identical to the original version, except 2 lines sung by stills that are different : just a different take, but from 69, clearly not from 91.

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2016, 11:57:28 AM »
To me it seems highly unlikely he re-recorded the vocals on DP. It's just seems another take from the 1995 sessions. Probably the same version as originally used on the Warner release for US market which differed from the international version in vocal take and mix (more pedal steel) I believe.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 08:50:12 PM »
MFN was remastered and released in 1996 as part of the remasters series. The probable reason for the cut down versions is that the prevailing format was still vinyl and on the vinyl edition the skipped TR altogether. Or maybe a marketing trick to persuade people to go back to the original versions. Although BiA vinyl and CD versions are quite different, with at least 5 songs on the vinyl edition being actually edits, compared to the CD version. (All side A, apart WOL, and probably BiA). I should say that I grew up with the vinyl version of BIA and although it sounded interesting to hear the extra minutes on the songs, I think that the edits were better (with the possible exception of SFA and YLT) , since they concentrated on the idea and had less repetition. That said, the Japanese version of MFN has Solid rock as well, which would have been better if the version included was the one on the Riding high soundtrack. And yes, WDYTYG sounded so different (and better) than the Communique ersion that I never believed it was a remaster- remixed version.   
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OnlineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2016, 08:53:47 AM »
I think that the edits were better (with the possible exception of SFA and YLT) , since they concentrated on the idea and had less repetition.

funny, because SFA CD version has probably the most repetitive outro in the whole DS/Mk career

I like the long version of MFN (more than 8 mn) because it has a lot of cool licks, changing from the main riff
I love the long version of Why Worry. the atmosphere and tone reminds me of smooching
And the YLT is very cool too. the first time I heard it (after listening the vynil version for some weeks) I thought that my cassette player had some speed issue !  :smack

so on the contrary I would say that all long versions are better with the exception of SFA  imho :)

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2016, 12:45:31 PM »
YLT is one of those rare occasions where the album version is so much better than any live version on any tour.  The tone and fills of Mark's guitar are among his best, providing some wonderful imagery of early morning NYC streets with garbage trucks, steaming manhole covers, yellow cabs, skyscrapers, Manhattan skyline etc.  His vocal is good too, something he has struggled with on live renditions of this song.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OnlineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2016, 02:22:44 PM »
YLT is one of those rare occasions where the album version is so much better than any live version on any tour.  The tone and fills of Mark's guitar are among his best, providing some wonderful imagery of early morning NYC streets with garbage trucks, steaming manhole covers, yellow cabs, skyscrapers, Manhattan skyline etc.  His vocal is good too, something he has struggled with on live renditions of this song.

totally agree. but there are other songs that I prefer studio version over any tour :

Money For Nothing : he never managed to get THAT tone again
Solid rock : I like the way he sings it, and the guitar tone and playing
Lady writer : I never found a live version that I could call "perfect" like the studio one
Love over gold : I always missed the ourto on live versions
it never rains: maybe it's due to poor sound on the only few live versions we have, but it doesn't reach the studio version level imho

what I like in studio versions are sophisticaded arrangements with many guitar parts that can't be reproduced live, and also the tone that is not always as good on stage, but of course it's not a generality

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2016, 03:09:38 PM »

totally agree. but there are other songs that I prefer studio version over any tour :

Money For Nothing : he never managed to get THAT tone again
Solid rock : I like the way he sings it, and the guitar tone and playing
Lady writer : I never found a live version that I could call "perfect" like the studio one
Love over gold : I always missed the ourto on live versions
it never rains: maybe it's due to poor sound on the only few live versions we have, but it doesn't reach the studio version level imho

what I like in studio versions are sophisticaded arrangements with many guitar parts that can't be reproduced live, and also the tone that is not always as good on stage, but of course it's not a generality

I would agree with all songs you mentioned, perhaps Skateaway too.  MFN is possibly worth sacrificing "that tone" for the outro solos on the live versions though!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.027 seconds with 36 queries.