Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mandela´s concert 1988  (Read 5161 times)

Offlineybot

• Camerado
Mandela´s concert 1988
« on: July 12, 2016, 10:10:18 PM »
This fabulous concert in 1988 showed the band at its best. I haven´t found a topic about

At MFN, Eric broke a string at the end of his solo. Mark played the next phrse without a rithm guitar, a few seconds until Eric got a replacement.
Is this replacement a Blackie replica? How many guitar do Mark and Eric carry to a concert?

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: Mandela´s concert 1988
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 09:47:30 AM »
there isn't a special thread dedicated to it, but this gig has been discussed many times on many different threads.
If you use the search fonction with "mandela", I bet you will find many discussions about it

Even if I have never been found of the pensa, I love this concert, the first one I saw on TV just after begun to start being a DS fan.

EC's guitar is not a blackie replica, it's a EC signature model, the first one I think, with lace sensor PUs.
He played this model in the 2nd half of eighties, after Blackie did his last tour in 85 (Behind the sun tour)

the blackie replica was built recently, some years ago

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 12:31:28 PM »
there isn't a special thread dedicated to it, but this gig has been discussed many times on many different threads.
If you use the search fonction with "mandela", I bet you will find many discussions about it

Even if I have never been found of the pensa, I love this concert, the first one I saw on TV just after begun to start being a DS fan.

EC's guitar is not a blackie replica, it's a EC signature model, the first one I think, with lace sensor PUs.
He played this model in the 2nd half of eighties, after Blackie did his last tour in 85 (Behind the sun tour)

the blackie replica was built recently, some years ago

May I add that according to EC's guitar tech that Blackie had become unplayable.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 10:47:17 PM by ds1984 »
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 02:17:58 PM »
This concert really deserves an official audio release. Two songs appeared on an official video compilation of the entire day of concert, but only one of these was a Straits song, BIA.

There are two different audio mixes of a the concert : one which I call the BBC mix that we heard here in the UK and presumably Europe, and the other for the US.   I prefer the BBC mix, probably because it is the one I am more used to hearing.

An official copy of the US mix for radio stations is in existence but over the past ten years I have only seen this crop up on EBay once.

The quality of bootlegs is mixed. The Solid Rock bootleg uses the US mix, whilst all other vinyl editions including the German Wish You Well release and UK Wembley 88 release use the UK mix but in very poor quality with almost no bass or equalisation, and are infuriating to listen to.

A heavy pressed double LP based on the UK mix , or mixed from whatever masters exist , would be most welcome and would probably sell well.

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 08:32:46 AM »
This concert really deserves an official audio release. Two songs appeared on an official video compilation of the entire day of concert, but only one of these was a Straits song, BIA.

The sound quality of the official release is awesome but BIA is unfortunately edited in 2 ways:
1) 2 notes of the final solo are cut out, probably because the stupid guy thought they sounded strange. They are indeed played out of scale but that was intentional by MK...
2) Crowd noises are added at the end of the final solo which sound very artificial...

Which notes were cut? At the BIA final solo?

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 12:47:36 PM »

There are two different audio mixes of a the concert : one which I call the BBC mix that we heard here in the UK and presumably Europe, and the other for the US.   I prefer the BBC mix, probably because it is the one I am more used to hearing.

An official copy of the US mix for radio stations is in existence but over the past ten years I have only seen this crop up on EBay once.

The quality of bootlegs is mixed. The Solid Rock bootleg uses the US mix, whilst all other vinyl editions including the German Wish You Well release and UK Wembley 88 release use the UK mix but in very poor quality with almost no bass or equalisation, and are infuriating to listen to.

A heavy pressed double LP based on the UK mix , or mixed from whatever masters exist , would be most welcome and would probably sell well.

yes agree about different mixes.
I don't like the solid rock mix because Mark's guitar is burried, too much dry, with no reverb, and the sax is sometimes here but not always
the first time I heard this gig was on TV, and I presume with the UK mix, which is better imho so I totally agree with you  :)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 12:49:04 PM »

The sound quality of the official release is awesome but BIA is unfortunately edited in 2 ways:
1) 2 notes of the final solo are cut out, probably because the stupid guy thought they sounded strange. They are indeed played out of scale but that was intentional by MK...
2) Crowd noises are added at the end of the final solo which sound very artificial...

Which notes were cut? At the BIA final solo?

indeed, very interesting, I didn't know that. thanks Pensa for this info. which notes ?

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 01:03:00 PM »
I Heard crowd noises at the end 
I did not notice there were added

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 01:39:43 PM »
I Heard crowd noises at the end 
I did not notice there were added

I think Pensa is referring to the ones during the solos and not the applause at the end.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 04:38:53 PM »
Fantastic !  Pensaboy
I did not notice it eventhough I listened it many times in the past and played it with my MK1 réplica
2 notes missing
They were not Mark's mistakes
This Mandela version was the best ever played with the mk1
Up to first solo he filled every gap with a phrase
I believe, Mark had an special day then.
I try to remember any other final solos like that.

OfflineBrunno Nunes- (Universo Dire Straits)

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 12:59:53 AM »
This one has the official release audio
at 5:50 the first 2 notes of the new lick are missing
 5vUDmFjWgVo

this one is not edited and includes the 2 notes at 6:09
 y9Hp8ZvFF4s

about the crowd noises they were added both during the solos and after the end of the final solo

About these two video, I would like to highlight the following details:

1. Observe two interesting points that occur in the official release audio: The Clapton base guitar is quite evident, (which happens to be wonderful in my opinion!), Unlike the other version, the guitar base barely hear.

2 Note the video 1 (official release au) which occurs at the time before ( "Through These fields of destruction"), the camera caught Mark with his hand in the face at point 2:26 seconds, the camera does not get it in another video.

3-The video quality 1 audio is impeccable!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 01:02:44 AM by wildstraits »
Visit my Blog- Universo dire Straits (Since 2007) http://universodirestraits.blogspot.com.br/

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 02:12:13 AM »
Yes, in the 2nd video mark`s scene touching his nose is not there.

There must be different people who edited this concert.

At the 2nd video all instruments sound different, other way to record or copy

Another detail; all through this song the camera shot Mark`s face and right hand. It was at the last part of the final solo which they showed his left hand. No other song of this Concert(or any of DS) camera man or director behave so

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 01:11:15 PM »
Does anyone have any idea why Mark says "sorry" during the opening lines of R&J?  It's just after "you and me babe, how about it [sorry]".  Around the 1:50 mark:

Or does anyone have any idea why I can neither see or upload videos any more?  All of the above are just blank!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 01:15:52 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »
about the 2 notes in BIA, although I find completely stupid to have edited them, I am not sure that it was purely "intentional"
it sounds more like a small slip on the fret, imho
but it deos'nt mean I don't like it, it sounds live and this solos is indeed one of his bests

I agree about EC's guitar, I love it, and I like to hear it clearly, but I prefer Mark's tone on the 2nd video, it's sounds dirtier, I don't like the one on the video 1, too much "round"

on the solid rock bootleg you can hear even more EC. it can be interesting to hear his playing, but not good for the overall sound

I realize that I vere noticed this edit on official video, just because I never listened to it ! I only the video sourcs I recorded on TV, and later the solid rock bootleg. I never bought the official video, but watching this now, I don't regret it

the video1 has a an official mix that feets with the audience point of view : EC is on the right
the video2 seems to be a mix for the band monitoring : EC is on the left

as for the "sorry" in R&J, I don't know. at the end of the song when he sings "you and me", he's smiling/laughing at 7:58. Maybe something wrong/special/technical-issues during this song ?

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 10:33:36 PM »
Friends, I don't know the minutiae of this show as well as you guys clearly do, but i downloaded this version a few years back.

https://mega.nz/#!yAtRUZwS!MRSETzlOTVI9Bgv-0E9OLPGZHM1gXZSqshWPl8IKyi8

Apparently the sound is from the UK radio simulcast of the original broadcast, maybe it's different. :)

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 38 queries.