Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: A Vinyl Corner?  (Read 24515 times)

Love Expresso

A Vinyl Corner?
« on: July 31, 2016, 12:09:50 PM »
I would like to ask what you folks think about opening a new section or corner about vinyl? I know there are some members very much into it (vgonis, Fletch, Dusty Valentino and a couple of others). I myself must admit that since a few weeks I honestly think about buying a record player again. I found my old LP's from Notting Hillbillies, Dylan, Dire Straits and some others (Shakin' Stevens anyone?) in the vaults of my Mom's house. Together with the nice 180 gr records from the MK box sets I start to love them again. Friends do collect them again, there are many stores selling them again and so on..

It could, but must not necessarily be about MK and DS but of course about any other artist, Sting and Pink Floyd come to mind for example because of current releases. Also hints, information or just drooling could be imaginable.

I was rereading Fletch's nice stories from last year's World Record Day and will go myself on April, 15th 2017. While watching a YouTube Video about vinyl washing machines yesterday a friend called me on the phone about some Tommy Emmanuel tickets in September and he mentioned by the way that he had been washing some dozens of his records during the morning. That coincidence gave me the initial idea for this thread.

So what do you think? ;)

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: A Vinyl Corner?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 06:27:42 PM »
Good idea.  I have a Greek edition LOG LP that requires a severe cleaning.

Also, I have a question maybe someone can help me with.  I am getting some distortion problems with my record player.  I've checked obvious things like connections and everything appears fine. :hmm
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineBrianT

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 08:50:57 PM »
I would like to ask what you folks think about opening a new section or corner about vinyl? I know there are some members very much into it (vgonis, Fletch, Dusty Valentino and a couple of others). I myself must admit that since a few weeks I honestly think about buying a record player again. I found my old LP's from Notting Hillbillies, Dylan, Dire Straits and some others (Shakin' Stevens anyone?) in the vaults of my Mom's house. Together with the nice 180 gr records from the MK box sets I start to love them again. Friends do collect them again, there are many stores selling them again and so on..

LE

I spin a lot of vinyl, I also purchase a lot of new vinyl, it has its own warmth. As for you purchasing a turntable only you can decide
it does take some work to spend a night spinning vinyl as the average side is 20/25 mins, so you have to get up of your butt and clean the next record
and then change it.
I only play a complete side or I would be up and down every 4/5 mins changing tracks, think hard it can be worth it and remember the better the table and cartridge the better the sound.

Also, I have a question maybe someone can help me with.  I am getting some distortion problems with my record player.  I've checked obvious things like connections and everything appears fine. :hmm

DMG

Distortion is normally caused by dirty stylus, misalignment, incorrect VTA,  incorrect tracking weight or a worn out cartridge.

Good luck in tracking you problem and getting it sorted out.

Brian
Devialet 440PRO - Audioprana SP/DIF-AES/EBU cable,
VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, Raysonic 168 CDP, Mac Mini Music Server,
AudioQuest Diamond USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Auditorium 23 Cables, Carver TX11 Tuner.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 11:11:48 AM »
Vinyl Corner is a good idea. Can one of the editors who is able to do it make it possible. I am not an editor who is able to do that technical stuff  :P

Love Expresso

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 11:21:08 AM »
Thanks Ingrid! Hi!

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 11:39:45 AM »

DMG

Distortion is normally caused by dirty stylus, misalignment, incorrect VTA,  incorrect tracking weight or a worn out cartridge.

Good luck in tracking you problem and getting it sorted out.

Brian

Thanks Brian.  Some things to look for there.   :thumbsup

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 12:09:58 PM »
When I was a teenager I used to spend hours and hours digging in my uncle´s vinyl collection. I remember how fascinated I was with some covers, specially "Difficult To Cure" by Rainbow, and many others...

I used to dig also in every record shop, looking at the covers and the back covers... the smell of vinyl  :lol

Last year by my birthday I got a turntable, one quite bad but that works, so I bought some vinyls to play them. I already had the DS and MK ones as there is something very special about vinyls, and having the DS and MK ones was mandatory LOL
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 10:52:30 PM »
Do we need a whole corner? Let's just see how this thread goes. :)

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 11:54:16 PM »
I have just bought a record player funnily enough. It was an education for my kids. I got rid of all my vinyl apart from DS/MK stuff and my first ever single....nellie the elephant by the toy dolls. 😀

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 11:56:28 AM »
I have just bought a record player funnily enough. It was an education for my kids. I got rid of all my vinyl apart from DS/MK stuff and my first ever single....nellie the elephant by the toy dolls. 😀

First single:  I'm Still Standing - Elton John.  Free with a pair of Clarks shoes I got for school!  ;D

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 12:39:00 PM »

First single:  I'm Still Standing - Elton John.  Free with a pair of Clarks shoes I got for school!  ;D

Mine was the Calling Elvis maxisingle... I didn´t have any turntable at the time and I bought it the very same day it was released as, being in the shop, I noticed that "Millionaire Blues" wasn´t at the list of songs I read in a magazine for the next album...

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 12:48:17 PM »
This makes me remember about this other thread about turntables http://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=4134.msg94511#msg94511

I have this one, that it´s not very good, but connected with a RCA (red and white) cable via the aux entry to my home cinema, sounds decent...

I know I should get a proper one but I use it very very rarely so...

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 08:49:56 PM »
A splendid idea LE!
Dmg check if your speakes are too close to your turntable, or on the same piece of furniture. Check your grounding cable. And also check for antiskating adjustment.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 12:57:07 PM »
A splendid idea LE!
Dmg check if your speakes are too close to your turntable, or on the same piece of furniture. Check your grounding cable. And also check for antiskating adjustment.

Thanks.  All done but to no avail. I think it needs professional technical adjustment.  I barely use it so reluctant to spend much money on it.  I've fiddled about with it myself with no success.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 05:36:44 PM »
Contact me with pm or fb with photo.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 40 queries.