Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Disappointing Love Over Gold pressing  (Read 309 times)

OnlineLove Expresso

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Disappointing Love Over Gold pressing
« on: March 06, 2024, 02:02:08 PM »
Obviously it is a huge difference reading about this stuff and experience it yourself. I ordered the 2014 vinyl edition of Love Over Gold the other day as I saw that these versions seem to run out, so I thought before they are gone... well, my soul collector took over..   I have all DS albums in first or very early German pressings, but nevertheless I thought that I should go for it.  Well, mistake.

It starts with the first impression of the back sleeve. The bright whitish writing that imitates an early computer screen with the song titles and lengths is now blueish and hard to impossible to read. The cover is not glossy anymore, but I knew that the new editons weren't so that's not a big thing. The paper inner sleeve was damaged on one side, and I could literally feel how the vinyl was suffering when I took it out of the sleeve. More bad, it was covered with finger prints and dirt all over the place as many people and reviewers had already mentioned before. I decided to give it a try without deeper cleaning, only brushing, but after let's say 30 seconds on both sides the decision was made - goes back to refund. Very loud noise, as if my stylus was broken.. I really thought, wow, so no quality control!

(I have Making Movies from the same edition already and that one was pretty nice although it was also noisy, which I think might have to do with the thick 180 gr. vinyl.)

So I agree to all those reviews back then, 10 years later  ;D ;D, those 2014 ediiton generally seems to be crap. Am I right in assuming that these are the pressings that were in the Studio Album Box? So apart from a really cool designed Box (that my sould collector wants badly) it seems it was not a mistake to let that one go.

Those new HQ pressings that come out at the moment are too expensive for me, and my system (and my ears) aren't good enough to hear the clear difference. Thank God we have ebay and other platforms. As these Dire Straits albums were such huge bestselling records, it is easy to find good pressings even from the first year. My Love Over Gold from back then i bought on ebay for around 20 € and it is practically in mint condition. It is a pure joy to watch and look at this one, let alone spin it. No 180 gr., absolutely fantastic pressing and great production over all.

Isn't it interesting that those first albums are still absolutely searched for and the reference for many people until today. Many vinyl people I talk to mention almost everytime that the first two albums and Love Over Gold are among the best pressings they have, really reference, so it seemed that they (maybe Mark already himself?) had a very high claim in everything that had to to with his career already back in the day. Sad that nowadays a re release of these great albums ends up in being such a disappointment. Maybe they are still slow learners.  Guy said that with the new album, they were after the highest quality standards and that vinyl would be the best way to experience the new album. I can't wait to check it out.

LE

« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 03:20:43 PM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Disappointing Love Over Gold pressing
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 02:10:39 PM »
I have the album box and it is magnificent.

I should say however that my partner ordered me the US pressing by mistake (and at great expense!) so not really a direct comparison.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OnlineLove Expresso

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 04:40:28 PM »
Oh I wasn't aware of a US pressing. Good to hear that you got lucky.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 04:56:12 PM »
It's this one. Kind of odd seeing Warner labels on it!

https://www.discogs.com/release/16065308-Dire-Straits-The-Studio-Albums-1978-1991

I also have original pressing of all the albums. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.028 seconds with 38 queries.