Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Analysing “Stretching Out” (Wag The Dog OST)  (Read 3612 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Analysing “Stretching Out” (Wag The Dog OST)
« on: August 10, 2016, 11:57:41 PM »
Yesterday I got an email about this tune, what the chords are? The guy said he learned how to play lead and got in some trouble with chords.
I spent one hour with this beautiful instrumental and will share with you my thoughts on it, as I realised how astonishing the arrangement is.

I know exactly why this tune could possibly make a lot of trouble for people, it's because I believe all the guitars for this track were actually tuned down half step (or semitone) and were played in open positions on the left channel and upper on the neck on the right channel. If you try this tuning, you will realise how simple things will get, but you can play it in a standard tuning as well and with a capo, which is the easiest method.

I'd like to start with the right hand technique. I'll write it down first and explain, so basically rhythm of strumming is this:

??????????

Just slowly follow it symbol by symbol. Upward pointing arrow means to strum toward thinner strings and downward pointing arrow means to strum toward thicker strings respectively. Notice two arrows have an apostrophe above, it's a big deal.

Rhythm obviously recorded with bare fingers, but it's possible to use a pick here, in this case 4th stroke would be an upstroke (??).

All the strokes in this diagram are equal in length. Now, important part — only 1st and 4th strokes (ones with the apostrophe) hit the thicker strings with the thumb, and all the other strokes should be going on higher strings only with the rest of the fingers. Also, you can lift your left hand after those 1st and 4th strokes and mute the strings. This way you will play the rhythm exactly like on the record.

Now, the chords. I'll write down three versions, first chords for half step down tuned guitar, then two for standard tuning.

First chord is A Minor, it was played in open position [x02210] on the left channel and in 5th position [577555] on the right.

It also can trick you, because on the left channel Mark plays it in a sort of boogie-style only on A and D strings with occasional notes on 4th and 5th frets on the D string, which actually turns this one chord vamp into three chord blues vamp — Am, Am6 and Am7. The riff reminds me classic Knopfler's boogie riffs like "Walk Of Life".

Next chord is G Major. Again, in open position on the left [320003] and in 3d position [355433] on the right.

Left guitar continue this kind of boogie rhythm with occasional E on the 2nd fret of the D string. At the end of this chord vamp Mark adds F on the 3d fret of the D strings making this chord G7, which is ideal for transition into C Major.

So next goes C Major. It's open on the left [x32010] and in 3d position on the right [x3555x] as I believe.

On the left channel here Mark adds A on 2nd fret of the G string to continue the boogie pattern.

Next chord is F Major. This one looks similar on both guitars [133211]. Only on the left channel Mark adds open D string here and there to continue the boogie pattern which sounds awesome through the whole song.

C Major again, F Major again, then C Major, G Major into C Major and it goes into the hardest chord in the song.

The chord is Bm7add11 [x2x230]. The other way to play it is in 5th position [7x775x].

Next chord is plain E7 [020130] or [x7675x] to get back to A Minor and that's it, this is the whole thing here, it just repeats over and over.

To summarise, this is the chords:

Am........[x02210] or [577555]
G.........[320003] or [355433]
C.........[x32010] or [x3555x]
F.........[133211]
Bm7add11..[x2x230] or [7x775x]
E7........[020130] or [x7675x]

And the full chart:

| Am | % | % | % |
| Am | % | G | % |
| C | F | C | F |
| C | G | C | Bm7add11 E7 |

Now, if you want to play it in standard tuning, use these chords:

Abm........[466444]
Gb.........[244322]
B..........[x2444x] or [799877]
E..........[022100] or [x7645x]
Bbm7add11..[6x664x]
Eb7........[x6564x]

| Abm | % | % | % |
| Abm | % | Gb | % |
| B | E | B | E |
| B | Gb | B | Bbm7add11 Eb7 |

The easiest way to play it is by using a capo on the 4th fret, now chords will look like this (simple!):

Em.........[022000]
D..........[x00232]
G..........[320003]
C..........[x32010]
F#m7add11..[2x220x]
B7.........[x21202]

| Em | % | % | % |
| Em | % | D | % |
| G | C | G | C |
| G | D | G | F#m7add11 B7 |

What's also beautiful about this arrangement, is that it switches seamlessly between A Minor Pentatonic an C Major Pentatonic.

I would want to thank Lee for this request and thanks to all of you out there, who wasn't bored by reading this.

Pavel
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 12:24:48 PM by quizzaciously »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Analysing “Stretching Out” (Wag The Dog OST)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 01:02:52 AM »
You may ask, "well maybe this was recorded in A Minor and then just shifted half step down"? Well, this is possible, but I can't hear any shifting effects here, organ sounds natural and the thing is, it just easier to play in A Minor, and his musicians are capable of playing in any keys given. And most importantly, Mark already did the exact opposite thing live for "Junkie Doll", tuning his guitar halfstep UP, which is very rare occasion indeed, but it gives him a chance to play freely and easily in A Minor while being in B-Flat Minor at the same time. Genius!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 01:09:07 AM by quizzaciously »

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 01:18:41 AM »
I doubt the guitars were tuned down. Both Mark and Richard are capable of playing a song in G# minor without messing around with the tuning. BIA is also in G#m and MK never used a capo or different tuning on that song.

Very nice tune though, always loved it (the whole WTD album btw)!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 01:37:54 AM »
I doubt the guitars were tuned down. Both Mark and Richard are capable of playing a song in G# minor without messing around with the tuning. BIA is also in G#m and MK never used a capo or different tuning on that song.

The tune is kind of awkward to play in standard tuning, even though chords are quite simple, also guitar on the left channel is 100% tuned down, no doubts about it whatsoever, so it just might as well be the case on other guitars as well. You mentioned "Brothers In Arms", but there's no rhythm guitar on it, and in live situations in both of Mark's bands (solo and promo) rhythm guitar player plays with a capo.

By the way, playing "Brothers In Arms" in half step down tuning on acoustic is very enjoyable experience (I tried).

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 08:08:12 AM »
Nice work Pavel!

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 08:58:30 AM »

The tune is kind of awkward to play in standard tuning, even though chords are quite simple, also guitar on the left channel is 100% tuned down, no doubts about it whatsoever, so it just might as well be the case on other guitars as well. You mentioned "Brothers In Arms", but there's no rhythm guitar on it, and in live situations in both of Mark's bands (solo and promo) rhythm guitar player plays with a capo.

By the way, playing "Brothers In Arms" in half step down tuning on acoustic is very enjoyable experience (I tried).

I'll give it another listen when I get home tonight :)

Love Expresso

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 11:16:32 AM »
Well, I have not the slightest idea about minor or major chords, but this thread made me listen to this soundtrack completely again  for the first time in years. It's probably among his best works. Has some very improvised-fast-made-looseness-character on it which I would love to hear on his solo albums much more! Go into the Studio for a WEEK, take the band in and just play...

LE
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 11:33:20 AM by Love Expresso »

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 11:31:12 AM »
My fab on this OST is "working on It"

Love Expresso

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 11:35:58 AM »
Agree. And We're Going To War. Perfect album to listen to on heavy Rotation with endless repeat. Funny enough I never really liked the Wag The Dog song. But the rest is great. Sounds so easy but contains some tricky and genious guitar playing according to Foma.

LE
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 12:10:02 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 11:56:24 AM »
What a very nice analysis! And what a wonderful album this is, the best MK soundtrack imho.
Always thought the tricky chord was a Bm7b5.
Would love to hear some of this material live and also the song Wag The Dog just for the outstanding Hammond playing by Jim Cox.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 12:22:56 PM »
Yeah, LE, I enjoy that kind of deception very much — seems easy, but very complex inside. It's like a magic trick, I love magic, and some tricks have beautiful explanations to it, some tricks have ugly explanations. In this case explanation is beautiful, and if you want ugly explanations, go to jazz shredders with their Phrygian and Locrian scale patterns. Mark's magic is just arrangement, musicians and sound.

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 08:59:05 PM »
Thanks for your precious analysis, Pavel!  :wave
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 12:46:16 AM »
You mentioned "Brothers In Arms", but there's no rhythm guitar on it, and in live situations in both of Mark's bands (solo and promo) rhythm guitar player plays with a capo.

During DS days, Sonni, Palmer and Clapton never used capo. Only Richard uses one
And if I remember well, Mark played BIA in Am shape with the guitar tuned half step down in 2011 (or 2013 ? not sure) on the blue LP. it was mentioned on Guy's forum

these details apart, another great job Foma !  :thumbsup :clap

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 11:07:01 PM »
Only idiots criticise the use of a capo. It allows you to play things you wouldn't otherwise be able to play.

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 42 queries.