Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark and coverbands  (Read 2674 times)

Offlineybot

• Camerado
Mark and coverbands
« on: August 22, 2016, 01:20:21 AM »
Has Mark ever made any comment about a DS coverband?

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Mark and coverbands
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 01:36:11 AM »
Has Mark ever made any comment about a DS coverband?

Yes, of course. For instance, in an interview at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club he was asked about cover bands and said "Oh, please". Enough said.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 02:31:11 AM »
I will elaborate and will try to explain what this "Oh, please" mean, knowing Mark through his words more than 10 years.

For me, as an amateur musician, this is a very hard topic. Especially when I try very hard to find some time to record Mark's songs.
In one form, I'm a cover band, or a tribute band if you will, sort of. But with some major differences, though, this is my take on it:

1) My goal is not to copy MK, I just play good songs that happen to suit my voice perfectly as I can't really sing.
2) I never ever earned any money by performing other people's music, and if I performed it live it was free anyway.
3) I don't care about views. I will never do 'Sultans of Swing' because I know it will inevitably gain an attention, a click bait.
4) I believe it's better to do a song with 1 instrument, but do it good, rather than to get 10 musicians and do no justice at all.
5) I believe if one is truly able to play songs of any artist, he would become an artist on his own right, it's just a matter of time.

Nostalgia is a good thing, but my message to all the tribute bands, cover bands and enthusiasts out there, if you are going to tackle songs of a calibre like fine crafted MK songs, check the song, check the chords, double check the chords, check the arrangements, work hard at it.

When I hear songs like "The Ragpicker's Dream" done with a chords taken from a book like "Play Guitar in a Day" it almost offends me. This is not at all how composer intended. If you decide to steal money — steal a million, this is what I'm talking about. Live and breathe it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 02:33:12 AM by quizzaciously »

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 03:46:31 AM »
Most players and singers are professionals.
There is only one MK.
Ds broke up 20 or more years ago, the only chance to listen to a similar band is by its coverbands.
Mark is not the same he used to be.
There are some frontmen and guitarrists from some tribute band who play pretty very well. I mean "dire strats"(wolfgang uhlich), "brothers in band" and "real straits".
I guess, "the straits" has got somo advantage over the others because Alan Clark and Chris White are members. I do not like Terence reis but he plays in a superlative way. I believe, other guitarrists mimic Mark better.

My humble opinion

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 08:37:38 AM »
This all seems pretty legit indeed, although I don't think that "poor souls" remark from Mark is a good compliment for your art.

Coverbands are cool for everybody except Mark and some hardcore nerds like myself. I only accept a tribute band if it's done perfectly.

Which is not the case with all the bands, some have a lousy vocals, some have a lousy guitarists, some have a lousy rhythm-section, and it really hurts. In case with all those "official" tributes some bands can even have a lousy attitude, which hurts even more.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 08:52:02 AM by quizzaciously »

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 09:03:50 PM »

When I hear songs like "The Ragpicker's Dream" done with a chords taken from a book like "Play Guitar in a Day" it almost offends me. This is not at all how composer intended. If you decide to steal money — steal a million, this is what I'm talking about. Live and breathe it.

:-)

I'm just about a million miles away from your musical abilities. But somehow I can relate to your opinion. Perhaps it is because of my goal to improve my playing.
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 09:45:59 PM »

:-)

I'm just about a million miles away from your musical abilities. But somehow I can relate to your opinion. Perhaps it is because of my goal to improve my playing.

It's so great you said it. You don't need no crazy abilities, the actual chords is very elegant, simple and logical thing on closer inspection.
This is like an old saying goes, "the size doesn't matter, it's how you use it that counts". Basically, the same works in music, too ;D
It's not the chords, not the "sound", and many people can get very close to MK sound, but it's touch and dynamics that counts.

In The Ragpicker's Dream there's very simple structure, but its potential unfolds with bass movement and subtle tone changes. Like magic!

I still want to hear RPD played by a proper jazz band, it's like my favourite song, but cover bands only wants to play Sultans of course.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.023 seconds with 36 queries.