Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK's human qualities  (Read 16992 times)

OfflineWaterofLove

• Local Hero
MK's human qualities
« on: August 30, 2016, 10:10:51 AM »
In the "rare MK pics"-thread Throttle talks about MK's human qualities and thinks no one is interested, it is discussed if it should be started a new thread about it, so here it is! :)

I would love to read what you think about his qualities as a human being, Throttle, why he is emotionally vulnerable and why he needs moral support from his inner circle, as you wrote in the other thread :) And the psychological traumas (3 neurotic traits) is also a very interesting topic.

Love Expresso

Re: MK's human qualities
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 10:42:42 AM »
Why not discuss your human qualities first? Would you mind if we did?

LE

OfflineWaterofLove

• Local Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 11:07:04 AM »
Wooow, so angry! If I was a celebrity I wouldn't mind people speculating, it would only be a compliment that people cared about me enough to discuss me. I think we should allow most kinds of topics here :)

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 12:16:02 PM »
Feel free to discuss. To me it's pretty useless, because no one here knows him personal. So all is speculation, which doesn't add much in my humble opinion.

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 12:18:06 PM »
"Psychological trauma's" my god... You don't know him personal do you? And unless you're a psychiatrist.. Well, feel free to discuss:-)
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 12:27:30 PM »
Mark is a very private person and anything in this topic is pure speculation.  I don't even think it's very polite.  Sorry, but I don't see the point. :)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 12:29:47 PM »
The only thing about this I would dare to comment is that his attitude when he is being interviewed or before fans is not the typical rock star diva, althought I'm sure he might be someone difficult sometimes because of his rock star status, but at least he knows how to behave in public, how he behaves in private when dealing with his record company, tour promoters etc, is something I don't mind...

Traumas whatever? Who cares...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 02:25:59 PM »
My point is that even though he's keeping his private life as sealed as possible, you can clearly see many aspects of his personality.

How? Through his music, lyrics, interviews, attitude on things.

As with music, you can "play" less and give more, with little phrases. For instance, you don't have to ask how Mark sees tribute bands. There's a song, "Oh please" and "Poor souls" comments. Knowing this you can say he love tributes! ;D

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 06:53:45 PM »
Yes MK is a private person, but we can still infer interesting points from what we see.
I think MK is a very human person in the sense that he can be contradictory depending on circumstances, which fascinates me. He has a light side and a bright side. Examples:
-He said in 1980 (BBC arena documentary) in response to the question "To which extent DS is just an extension of you, MK ?":"To no extent. It is all about the band". We all know that this was not the case and that going solo was more honest - in both cases the band is a vehicle to play MK'songs.
- He renounced stardom by ending DS, but can act like a diva with the infamous sausages story, in which he was ready to fire somebody for almost nothing.
-He can sustain very long relationships, but was able to fire his long term friend Ed Bicknel over a disagreement (the infamous Helmet story).
-He could care for his brother even after he left DS (je helped on his first solo album), yet over the years they did not reconcile, and it seems Mark did not care to fix the royalties issues.
-He says he likes it when people record his concerts, but in 2008 we go the infamous "finger of death" attitude.
-He generally shows love and respect for fans but not always (I remember some rude comments on a fan at the very end of the 2013 tour)
-Last but not least, MFN was to mock MTV and was the most successful hit on MTV :)
-etc...
I find this "Darth Vader" trend (has been to the dark side, but there's still good in him) fascinating :)

Love Expresso

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 07:02:11 PM »
Oh now things start to get interesting  ;D ... Never heard about the "Helmet Story"?? Could you tell me? If it goes off-topic too far I will also be very happy about pm!  ;)

LE

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 07:09:22 PM »
Hi Herlock,  :wave

Would you also please share details on the "rude comments on a fan at the very end of the 2013 tour" -- Was this in Spain?  What was said, and what were the circumstances?
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »
It is said that by end of 2000 MK was not happy at all with the way Ed was planning the STP tour. Ed, who never recovered from the end of DS, thought that the GH tour was just a childish passage, and that then MK would go back to normal. In fact Ed wanted to resurrect DS, and started to plan a mega tour like to OES one. He also push the hits on the album, WII and not Red staggering as planned...
One day Mark lost it, entered the office with his motorbike helmet still on, and simply told Ed: you're fired.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 07:13:54 PM »
Hi Herlock,  :wave

Would you also please share details on the "rude comments on a fan at the very end of the 2013 tour" -- Was this in Spain?  What was said, and what were the circumstances?
Yes it was in Spain. I need to dig out, but it was posted in this very forum !

Love Expresso

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 07:16:10 PM »
Thanks for this story. Cool one. Makes MK bigger in my eyes!

Wasn't it during the last 2013 show with that many technical problems that made MK lose his temper for a second? Have to check the entry of that day. Everything very well documented at the concert thread.

LE
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 07:18:30 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 07:37:28 PM »
Thanks for this story. Cool one. Makes MK bigger in my eyes!

Wasn't it during the last 2013 show with that many technical problems that made MK lose his temper for a second? Have to check the entry of that day. Everything very well documented at the concert thread.

LE

if you find it, please share!  ;D
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 44 queries.