Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK's human qualities  (Read 16907 times)

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
Re: MK's human qualities
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 08:46:53 PM »
And the sausages story?

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 09:42:48 PM »
Also, living in Russia I can tell like no one else how money can change people in a very bad way.

There's Range Rovers and Rolls-Royces all over the place, corrupted politicians buying 2000 m² houses decorated like The Sultan's Palace and so on.

I mean I can perfectly understand all the trouble Mark went through his highest points and all I can say about him surviving it — BRAVO! :clap

Also, Mark is the most optimistic guy I ever seen, this is the key to ALL of his success right from his birth. He's an optimist to the bone.

Love Expresso

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 09:45:03 PM »
Thanks for this story. Cool one. Makes MK bigger in my eyes!

Wasn't it during the last 2013 show with that many technical problems that made MK lose his temper for a second? Have to check the entry of that day. Everything very well documented at the concert thread.

LE

if you find it, please share!  ;D

Not able to copy the thread somehow with my phone. It was concert # 70 Cap Roig 2013. Also Isaac had an detailed entry. In our thread it is from Page 6 on. Read it yourself! :lol  ;D

LE

OfflineMelcuer

• Guitar George
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 10:10:54 PM »
And the sausages story?

Please, someone tell this story....i didn't know there was a sausages story....

OfflineWaterofLove

• Local Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 10:14:19 PM »
Yes MK is a private person, but we can still infer interesting points from what we see.
I think MK is a very human person in the sense that he can be contradictory depending on circumstances, which fascinates me. He has a light side and a bright side. Examples:
-He said in 1980 (BBC arena documentary) in response to the question "To which extent DS is just an extension of you, MK ?":"To no extent. It is all about the band". We all know that this was not the case and that going solo was more honest - in both cases the band is a vehicle to play MK'songs.
- He renounced stardom by ending DS, but can act like a diva with the infamous sausages story, in which he was ready to fire somebody for almost nothing.
-He can sustain very long relationships, but was able to fire his long term friend Ed Bicknel over a disagreement (the infamous Helmet story).
-He could care for his brother even after he left DS (je helped on his first solo album), yet over the years they did not reconcile, and it seems Mark did not care to fix the royalties issues.
-He says he likes it when people record his concerts, but in 2008 we go the infamous "finger of death" attitude.
-He generally shows love and respect for fans but not always (I remember some rude comments on a fan at the very end of the 2013 tour)
-Last but not least, MFN was to mock MTV and was the most successful hit on MTV :)
-etc...
I find this "Darth Vader" trend (has been to the dark side, but there's still good in him) fascinating :)

what about the dentist that was paid with bags of coins because MK thought the price was too high

Seriously? :o

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 10:28:21 PM »
And the sausages story?

Search for the sausages section in there:
https://olipalmer1.wordpress.com/2013/06/13/interview-with-phil-palmer-180213/

Offlinebinone

• Lady writer
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 11:30:32 PM »
And the sausages story?

Search for the sausages section in there:
https://olipalmer1.wordpress.com/2013/06/13/interview-with-phil-palmer-180213/
Lol, It was Pete, Who still works for him.

Also there was a joke with the sausages in  guy's Page when people asked for setlist

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 12:45:43 AM »
Yes, was discussed several times on the forum, it happened in 1991

it was public news on newspapers, I guess cause the dentist let the press know

LOL got paid in full by Mark Knopfler himself and still complain, this tells you everything you need to know about this dentist's human qualities indeed.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 01:17:30 AM »
I'm not Mark Knopfler's lawyer or something, but I believe all this stories about Mark being rude are hugely, deeply exaggerated.
You can check out this cool video of Penn Jillette from Penn & Teller, where he discuss how being famous and rude can collide:

(contains bad words, you've been warned)

So, maybe the dentist was really bad and deserved a bag of coins, maybe Manu Katché deserved talking to him in third person or something. Maybe sausages really was "the final straw" of crew's mistakes, we can't know either. We will never know, especially when everybody tend to surprise you with Mark being rude.

As for Mark's brother, I was in exact situation like him — I stopped talking with my brother for like 10 years, or he stopped it, I really don't know to this point. Then, after all these years, all of the sudden we started to talk again, but it was like "Hi, how are you doing?" since then.

What I like to say, is that this tells you nothing about human qualities of both of us. It's just between us, and to others we're just "normal".

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 07:30:52 AM »

So, maybe the dentist was really bad and deserved a bag of coins, maybe Manu Katché deserved talking to him in third person or something. Maybe sausages really was "the final straw" of crew's mistakes, we can't know either. We will never know, especially when everybody tend to surprise you with Mark being rude.

As for Mark's brother, I was in exact situation like him — I stopped talking with my brother for like 10 years, or he stopped it, I really don't know to this point. Then, after all these years, all of the sudden we started to talk again, but it was like "Hi, how are you doing?" since then.

What I like to say, is that this tells you nothing about human qualities of both of us. It's just between us, and to others we're just "normal".
Right on, quizzaciously.  Sometimes, life is like this. 
An impression is made - just like a snapshot - and that is what people remember.  Something that happened in just a moment in time.
And then we see this pictures and make inferences, but we will never know. 
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 08:35:49 AM »

Wasn't it during the last 2013 show with that many technical problems that made MK lose his temper for a second? Have to check the entry of that day. Everything very well documented at the concert thread.

LE

It was in Cap Roig, MK was very agresive with a fan and shouted at him, can´t remember exactly, but that part was deleted from the audio recording of the concert.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Love Expresso

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2016, 08:41:27 AM »

LE

;D :thumbsup :wave

LE

if you find it, please share!  ;D

Not able to copy the thread somehow with my phone. It was concert # 70 Cap Roig 2013. Also Isaac had an detailed entry. In our thread it is from Page 6 on. Read it yourself! :lol  ;D

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2016, 08:41:36 AM »
Oh now things start to get interesting  ;D ... Never heard about the "Helmet Story"?? Could you tell me? If it goes off-topic too far I will also be very happy about pm!  ;)

LE

I heard another version of the helmet story... in what I heard that happened where both MK and Ed used to live (MK doesn´t leave there anymore) and it was a discussion that was just the last drop... MK wanted to lower his profile at STP already, but Ed kept pussing him to make his solo career solid and succesful like Phil Collins, Sting etc that had a famous solo career at the same level that they had with their bands, and as long as I recall a little part of the conversation went like this:

Ed: If you want to do the things that way, I cannot manage you anymore
MK: Well, then I need another manager

And that happened with MK in his motorbike in front of his house, with his helmet.

I repeat, that´s the story I was told, can´t remember but who, but was a reliable source. Doesn´t mean it´s the true story, means it´s the story I was told about, and the one I believe on.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Love Expresso

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2016, 08:45:32 AM »
And the sausages story?

Well, MK has all my sympathy with this ridiculous sausage story, whereas I hate Phil Palmer even more for talking about it.. People of greater character would have answered the "Spinal Tap" question with more discretion, and not speaking about other people like MK who was not in the room. But anyway. I never liked Phil Palmer. Also the way he complained about rehearsing in the summer, as if he was too posh for doing that...

If I am hungry I have a tendency to go ballistic myself if something goes wrong - ask the people at work..   so maybe MK was drooling about the sausages during the complete concert and was VERY hungry and therefore TOTALLY disappointed. Also "stealing" food from the man who pays them all and makes it all possible is quite rude in my opinion!

And wasn't the dentist asking for a lot of more money only because MK was a famous Musician? Makes MK also not looking bad from my point of view.

;)

LE
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 02:11:13 PM by Love Expresso »

OfflineMelcuer

• Guitar George
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2016, 11:00:06 PM »
I I believe all this stories about Mark being rude are hugely, deeply exaggerated

I couldn't agree more

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 42 queries.