Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 25 Years On Every Street  (Read 17368 times)

Love Expresso

25 Years On Every Street
« on: September 19, 2016, 03:22:51 PM »
Should we really have missed the 25th anniversary of this great last Dire Straits album? The one that will always be underrated (because it cannot be rated high enough from my point of view), the first one I was eagerly awaiting as the fan that I had become in early 1985 shortly after the Brothers In Arms release. These days around September 1991 brought s lot of Radio and TV promo and my anticipation was nothing short of totally insane. I remember those great days with much warmth and love. No album ever since has been awaited with more craziness and impatience than this one.

Next week will mark my first Dire Straits concert ever, 25 years ago. Great memories! Will give the album a complete spin tonight.

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: 25 Years On Every Street
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 04:13:47 PM »
Should we really have missed the 25th anniversary of this great last Dire Straits album? The one that will always be underrated (because it cannot be rated high enough from my point of view), the first one I was eagerly awaiting as the fan that I had become in early 1985 shortly after the Brothers In Arms release. These days around September 1991 brought s lot of Radio and TV promo and my anticipation was nothing short of totally insane. I remember those great days with much warmth and love. No album ever since has been awaited with more craziness and impatience than this one.

Next week will mark my first Dire Straits concert ever, 25 years ago. Great memories! Will give the album a complete spin tonight.

LE

I remember that day very clearly.  I had waited six years, very patiently and could hardly restrain my excitement as I went into town to buy the album.   

When I returned home, my husband was painting the front door, a nice shade of Oxford blue and I played the album so loud that I'm sure the whole street would have heard it through the open front door!    Strange the things that stick in one's memory.    :)   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedarkshiver

• Camerado
  • Rockaway rockaway from Cullercoats and Whitley bay
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 04:56:47 PM »
I also remember that day clearly. A couple of years before (1989) I also remember , that I was in shok because I heart the first songs of Mark with the NHB , and the dj said these words on the radio: " and now will hear new songs of Mark Knopfler with his new band ... " . And I thought : WTF !!!! a new band ??? and what about dire straits ?? I thought I could never see on stage the band, because when they came to Barcelona in 1985 I was 14 years old and my mother said to me that only in my dreams could enjoy a Dire Straits show... Fortunately in 1991 the band published On every street and the 10th september I went to the main record shops’ street in Barcelona to buy the album. In every record shop you went into, you listen on every street from speakers. It’s a very good memory.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 07:35:24 PM »
I remember my brother coming home with the CD. He said "the first song sucks but the rest of it is brilliant". I grabbed that and couldn't help going through the entire album I don't know how many times. I also remember that there was a Philips TV advertising being aired all day long featuring Calling Elvis and The Bug if I'm not mistaken. Good times.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 08:14:31 PM »
Great memories!!! Unfortunately, I was living under a rock at the time.  ::)
Hoping to hear more wonderful memories form AMITers.  :D
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

Love Expresso

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 08:24:43 PM »
The Calling Elvis Single had Iron Hand and Millionare Blues as bonus-tracks. Imagine that. I remember it had some global kind of promotion  with a 2-hour-radio-show that had a famous American speaking voice and contained parts of 8 or 10 of the songs. That was broadcasted a couple of days before release and was SO exiting...

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 08:36:20 PM »
I have very clear memories of this release and for pretty much the same reasons as LE.  Looking through the papers, the magazines and in touch with local media channels was really the only way back then to find out when releases were upcoming.  I wasn't a member of DSIS since I never knew of its existence. 

So the band were playing Birmingham NEC on the OES tour for four nights.  On one of those the album was released.  I bought mine from Woolworths, a store now out of business.  They gave away a free badge with every album which has the 'crossed feet' logo on it, which I still have.  After having the album only a couple of days it was time for my concert at the SECC in Glasgow. 

It was Friday the 13th of September.  No superstitions!  I wasn't overly familiar with all of the new songs because I only had the album a few days and it was a school week but I did get ToL and PONO which was a favourite from the start.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 08:39:33 PM »
The Calling Elvis Single had Iron Hand and Millionare Blues as bonus-tracks. Imagine that. I remember it had some global kind of promotion  with a 2-hour-radio-show that had a famous American speaking voice and contained parts of 8 or 10 of the songs. That was broadcasted a couple of days before release and was SO exiting...

LE

I remember buying that and being a little underwhelmed at the time.  I can't recall where I bought it but I stopped off at my Aunts on the way home and played it first on her CD player!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 09:06:04 PM »
I bought the cassette apart from the CD, to have a first listening in the car (hadn´t cd player in the car at that time) during my 55 km journey to home.

I also bought a second CD at the same time for a friend. So I went out the records shop with 3 legal copys of the same album.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 09:19:28 PM »
I remember it as it it was yesterday ! I was then a student, the first year as an independent grown-up without my parents... My roommate and I, both fans of fire straits, had eagerly waited for the release. For him it was a disappointment, he did not like the country feel of it, and wanted to return the CD ! For me it was love at first sight. I did not like much some country songs like When it comes to you, but I fell in love so much with the title track, IH and PONO, and even CE, that this more than made up for it. The title track is associated with fond memories from my youth, it is very special to me. The following year I attended my first (and last) DS concert ever, in Lyon... Will never forget it, although I started the concert at the front row (8 hours of queuing...) and ended up in the last row... People at the time were so pushy and aggressive that I could not breathe any more !

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 09:27:26 PM »
The record that started my obsession, with MK and music in general. After making my way through the DS back catalogue MK brought me, via Chet and the NHB onto a whole pile of country and blues. OES genuinely changed my life.

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 09:58:26 PM »
It was Friday the 13th of September.  No superstitions!  I wasn't overly familiar with all of the new songs because I only had the album a few days and it was a school week but I did get ToL and PONO which was a favourite from the start.
one of my favourte OES shows.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 10:01:12 PM »
OES was not my first love (MM was) but boy did i look forward to it. i vividly remember being at some family party and forcing everyone to listen to the videoclip world premiere of CE (which everyone liked i remember)
after that, i did not really like the album. it is only of late that i have come to really appreciate it. my favourite track is How long. when i play the cd in my car (for weeks on end) i tend to have how long on endless repeat...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 05:24:10 AM »
I was at the camping and a Spanish radio station (Cadena 100) aired "Calling Elvis" and it was a choc for me, I mean the sound of the album was mindblowing and especially, the sound of the Pensa Shur, wow. I didn't like the sound of the Pedal Steel at the beginning but it became clear that the whole album atmosphere was painted with that incredible instrument thanks to Maestro Paul Franklin.

it took me about a month to really appreciate the album, the highlights were "Calling Elvis, When it comes to you, Heavy fuel, You and your friend and the masterpiece Planet of new Orleans.

at that time, I felt that it was the end of the Straits and that OES was a transition album to the solo career. 5 stars Album.
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 10:42:47 AM »
I was 1 year old when "On Every Street" came out. I can't remember much, but I remember I was smiling a lot on that day :lol

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 40 queries.