Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 25 Years On Every Street  (Read 17402 times)

Love Expresso

Re: 25 Years On Every Street
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 11:11:18 AM »
 :thumbsup

THAT'S the spirit!

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016, 11:40:33 AM »
It was Friday the 13th of September.  No superstitions!  I wasn't overly familiar with all of the new songs because I only had the album a few days and it was a school week but I did get ToL and PONO which was a favourite from the start.
one of my favourte OES shows.

Cool!  I vividly remember PONO being a highlight and goosebumps moment.  Oh, and also giving a lift home to the son and daughter of my then English teacher.  The next week he asked me if I enjoyed the show and of course DS weren't cool so I just said "it was alright!" :lol
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Love Expresso

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2016, 11:55:29 AM »
And maybe you can't imagine it today but I did not know a thing about the set list and also not about that cool curtain effekt at the beginning. That moment when it "exploded" away and Mark stood there in the light, grinning, was almost too much! And boy did they sound great!

LE

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 06:03:33 AM »
When I was first exploring the DS albums I didn't care for several of the tracks on OES. Then I got a hold of the Japanese SHM version a while back which has a different mastering from both the original release as well as the remaster and I heard it differently. I now think it's a very underrated album and contains some of MK's best guitar work, particularly in songs like How Long or When it Comes to You. I think it's great that MK did something different with the follow up to BiA instead of just releasing a bunch of reworked BiA B-sides.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 06:32:41 PM »
I was 1 year old when "On Every Street" came out. I can't remember much, but I remember I was smiling a lot on that day :lol
honorary AMIT member!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2016, 06:33:34 PM »
When I was first exploring the DS albums I didn't care for several of the tracks on OES. Then I got a hold of the Japanese SHM version a while back which has a different mastering from both the original release as well as the remaster and I heard it differently. I now think it's a very underrated album and contains some of MK's best guitar work, particularly in songs like How Long or When it Comes to You. I think it's great that MK did something different with the follow up to BiA instead of just releasing a bunch of reworked BiA B-sides.
how long indeed!!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2016, 07:07:38 PM »
how long indeed!!

I heard a rumour that after pioneering the CD technology, Mark needed to do something else, something special next time. So, in conjunction with Philips he decided to create a perfect song for the "Loop" button on CD-players, and this is like "How Long" was actually born. True story!

Also, I heard a rumour that this song became the first song to reach 1,000,000 loops by a single human being. And I can perfectly understand him!

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 01:07:36 PM »
I was on holiday in southern France when the album came out. (I was already very familiar with 'Calling Elvis' which had come out as a single a couple of weeks before.) So I bought the album in a shop in Carcassonne. I remember listening to 'You and Your Friend' for the first time in the hills overlooking Carcassonne, and loving it immediately, especially in that environment. As usual with MK's work, some of the other songs took a while to grow on me. But YAYF hit me immediately. A couple of weeks later, Wembley Arena with the 'Sold Out' sign flashing. Happy Memories!

Offlinelfblaauw

• Camerado
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 04:20:53 PM »
1991! Good memories. Remembering the first time seeing 'Calling Elvis' on MTV Europe (which was a proper music station at that time, instead of airing al kind of series with bored American teenagers).  And some snippets of the tour-rehearsals. So the 'curtain-effect' wasn't a suprise anymore to me.  My first MK/DS-gig was at the last Sunday of September 1991, Rotterdam.  A great show. Never saw MK with that kind of energy anymore.  With Planet of New Orleans, and yes, Tunnel of Love.  The band was full of energy.  Much more than in the summer of 1992.  They looked more tired and bored with it.  Back to 1991: no internet...so the setlist was a surprise.  Surprised to hear 'Two Young Lovers'. Didn't expect that one!  And in 1991...queuing for tickets for the 1992 Rotterdam concerts.  One of the streets in Groningen was so crowded with fans with the busses and other traffic having troubles getting through! So, good and special memories!

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2016, 04:52:33 PM »
Great to read your memories! Thank you and more please :) I had never the opportunity too see Dire Straits live.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 05:09:26 PM by Silvertown »

Offlinelfblaauw

• Camerado
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2016, 09:10:00 PM »
And in 1991...queuing for tickets for the 1992 Rotterdam concerts.  One of the streets in Groningen was so crowded with fans with the busses and other traffic having troubles getting through! So, good and special memories!

I've found an old Dutch artile with the crowd queuing in Groningen for tickets:

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Offlinecaci99

• Guitar George
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2016, 11:54:12 AM »
I remember a friend of mine had a kind of demo tape of this album. All the songs were cut short by 1 minute and half or two minutes. The tape length was something like 40 minutes. I think this tape was released in Italy. Used to listen to it a lot. Those days in my country (Albania) was not easy at all to put hands on original tapes. When I got a copy tape of full length I was so surprised by the songs, was as rediscovering them. I loved that album, really a lot (still do).
I remember I used to sit in my balcony late at night, with not to much city lights, putting the tape on and listening to it at full length while enjoying the breeze of the night. I miss so much those nights :)
don't crash the ambulance, whatever you do

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2016, 12:05:19 PM »
That tape were the versions that finally ended at the cd or were demos?

There is a bootleg called "Brothers in Mark" that had "monitor mixes" that I don´t know if can be considered as demos, of Heavy fuel, The Bug and On every street, and I always wondered if somewhere there are a complete OES demos tape or something...

This is the information in that bootleg:

On Every Street - Monitor Mixes, 05-02-1991

The Bug 4:04

Heavy Fuel 4:52

On Every Street 4:51
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinecaci99

• Guitar George
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2016, 12:20:04 PM »
I used the word "demo", but the right word should probably be promo. It had all the songs, just cut off the endings fading out. Although I don't understand how that could have worked as promo considering most of the songs have a beautiful ending after a nice build up.
don't crash the ambulance, whatever you do

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2016, 01:29:09 PM »
I used the word "demo", but the right word should probably be promo. It had all the songs, just cut off the endings fading out. Although I don't understand how that could have worked as promo considering most of the songs have a beautiful ending after a nice build up.

It´s what today is called teasers... you have them in site like Amazon or itunes this days, before release date, they put snippets of 30 seconds or maybe a little more of every song.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 42 queries.