Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 25 Years On Every Street  (Read 17363 times)

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
Re: 25 Years On Every Street
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 08:30:29 AM »
Absolutely fantastic album and the one album which I felt so lucky to have been around to purchase. I was 15 years old and was gutted I'd missed the DS performing live (except for seeing them on TV etc). By the time 1992 hit and June arrived, it was this album and the huge tour  that literally made my life. 16 years old... had dreamed about seeing DS live for so many years after listening to all the other stuff and thinking it would never happen. This album holds so many incredible memories, especially the travel to the gig, tape (oes)  in Walkman and hitting up Earl's Court to see them live. I kind of knew even then that it would be my first and last chance to see them live. As for the album itself, it's just wonderful. It was never gonna hit the 30mill+ sales of BIA but nothing ever would. OES sales of 10mill is not a failure, how many other albums sell that many these days? It was huge and full of some incredible stuff. Go listen.
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

OfflineTobben

• Camerado
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 10:20:20 AM »
Absolutely fantastic album and the one album which I felt so lucky to have been around to purchase. I was 15 years old and was gutted I'd missed the DS performing live (except for seeing them on TV etc). By the time 1992 hit and June arrived, it was this album and the huge tour  that literally made my life. 16 years old... had dreamed about seeing DS live for so many years after listening to all the other stuff and thinking it would never happen. This album holds so many incredible memories, especially the travel to the gig, tape (oes)  in Walkman and hitting up Earl's Court to see them live. I kind of knew even then that it would be my first and last chance to see them live. As for the album itself, it's just wonderful. It was never gonna hit the 30mill+ sales of BIA but nothing ever would. OES sales of 10mill is not a failure, how many other albums sell that many these days? It was huge and full of some incredible stuff. Go listen.

Nice! :)

What do you remeber from the concert? 😊

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 01:36:18 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm new here, even though I've been lurking this forum for a very long time.

On Every Street is probably my favourite Dire Straits album. Songs like How Long, You and Your Friend and On Every Street were among the first I learnt to play on the guitar, so it kind of holds a special place in my heart.

Love Expresso

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 01:05:11 PM »
Hello and welcome!

This shows again how many people got and get inspired by Mark! Do you still play?

LE

Love Expresso

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2017, 01:09:07 PM »
The record that started my obsession, with MK and music in general. After making my way through the DS back catalogue MK brought me, via Chet and the NHB onto a whole pile of country and blues. OES genuinely changed my life.

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

A very strong statement. And when you see what talent was set free here it is just "Wow!" MK inspired so many people that's just great and shows that he is a true artist.  :thumbsup

LE

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2017, 01:19:11 PM »
I remember the tour like it was yesterday. The Earls Court dates were 2 day before my GCSE exams, a tough choice, but of course I made the proper choice!

Probably my first trip up to London on my own as well...

I remember getting in and ending up in the wrong seat, although I was happy when I ended up being moved forward 30 rows or so.

Great album, great days

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2017, 03:45:35 AM »
Hello and welcome!

This shows again how many people got and get inspired by Mark! Do you still play?

LE

Yes, I have a little Dire Straits cover band and they usually feature on the setlist! :)

OfflineTobben

• Camerado
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2019, 10:51:05 AM »
So many nice memories here :)

Does anyone remember if there was broadcasted some live songs from the 1991 part of the On Every street tour? Or the American part of the 1992 tour?

I know about the European broadcast and soundboard recordings from 92, but find it a little strange there wasn’t anything from USA or 1992... 🙂🎸🎸

hunter

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2019, 09:43:11 PM »
My first DS CD. Before that I owned only the MFN compilation cassette and cassette copies of DS, Communique and BIA.

I loved the OES album at the time, lots of good memories. It's a really good album, I think. Better than BIA in my opinion. And lots of great guitar playing. Ah, those days when Mark wasn't afraid of letting loose a little. Miss 'em.

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2019, 12:13:06 AM »
Oh wow, there are some great comments here which I can relate to!
I’d been keen on DS before and had gradually bought their back catalogue; still love Communique even now, so under rated.
In August 1991 I remember the 15 minute channel 4 mini documentary which was about the making of Callling Elvis. Remember saying to mum “that’ll never sell” to which she replied she really liked it and thought it was catchy! So ... I bought the calling elvis cd single on the day of its release and played the three tracks non stop for ages.
When OES came out in sept 1991 I bought it about a week later - and was disappointed. CE, when it comes to you, the bug, heavy fuel and how long were the stand out tracks. Skipped the rest initially then gradually started listening properly. I then discovered what an amazing album this really was - within a month it became my favourite album of all time AND it still is even after all this time. Still listen at least once a month, nothing else comes close!
Then came the tour - I missed the 1991 shows but ordered the tour brochure anyway. My first ever gig was DS at Manchester, 16th June 1992. A gorgeous day. I’d done my final GCSE the day before so I was free! I remember being bowled over by the sheer size of the stage. Watched some of Lyle Lovett, he was ok (grew to like him more afterwards). Was (not was) were a brilliant support band, such energy.
Then came DS. Blimey they were loud. I still get shivers in my spine when listening to private investigations ... despite being stood on a giant football pitch I remember just how much the floor shuck during the electric guitar bit followed by hearing so many local car and burglar alarms going off afterwards. Absolutely brilliant! Hoped to see another gig but with only Ipswich and Woburn Abbey let I didn’t manage it - but I recorded the whole show from radio 1, right from 3pm to 10:30 when it finished (sadly some recordings have gone astray).
Followed MK ever since. Thank you mark and bands, you’ve made my life very happy - liking DS as a 15/16 year old wasn’t trendy at the time but I didn’t care. To me, the live shows since have never hit the energy of the OES tour ... even if mark was bored!
Now if only we had a soundboard recording of PONO and ToL ... wow!
I’ve often wondered what the tour would have been like with jack instead of Phil. V good but different. Jack brought a lot of energy and fun to the BIA tour, the OES tour maybe in comparison was more studied and striving for professional perfection.
On The Night is ok as a souvenir album (you and your friend is superb) but it’s too clean and does miss the passion shows like Basel have.

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2019, 01:47:47 AM »
Oh wow, there are some great comments here which I can relate to!
I’d been keen on DS before and had gradually bought their back catalogue; still love Communique even now, so under rated.
In August 1991 I remember the 15 minute channel 4 mini documentary which was about the making of Callling Elvis. Remember saying to mum “that’ll never sell” to which she replied she really liked it and thought it was catchy! So ... I bought the calling elvis cd single on the day of its release and played the three tracks non stop for ages.
When OES came out in sept 1991 I bought it about a week later - and was disappointed. CE, when it comes to you, the bug, heavy fuel and how long were the stand out tracks. Skipped the rest initially then gradually started listening properly. I then discovered what an amazing album this really was - within a month it became my favourite album of all time AND it still is even after all this time. Still listen at least once a month, nothing else comes close!
Then came the tour - I missed the 1991 shows but ordered the tour brochure anyway. My first ever gig was DS at Manchester, 16th June 1992. A gorgeous day. I’d done my final GCSE the day before so I was free! I remember being bowled over by the sheer size of the stage. Watched some of Lyle Lovett, he was ok (grew to like him more afterwards). Was (not was) were a brilliant support band, such energy.
Then came DS. Blimey they were loud. I still get shivers in my spine when listening to private investigations ... despite being stood on a giant football pitch I remember just how much the floor shuck during the electric guitar bit followed by hearing so many local car and burglar alarms going off afterwards. Absolutely brilliant! Hoped to see another gig but with only Ipswich and Woburn Abbey let I didn’t manage it - but I recorded the whole show from radio 1, right from 3pm to 10:30 when it finished (sadly some recordings have gone astray).
Followed MK ever since. Thank you mark and bands, you’ve made my life very happy - liking DS as a 15/16 year old wasn’t trendy at the time but I didn’t care. To me, the live shows since have never hit the energy of the OES tour ... even if mark was bored!
I’ve often wondered what the tour would have been like with jack instead of Phil. V good but different. Jack brought a lot of energy and fun to the BIA tour, the OES tour maybe in comparison was more studied and striving for professional perfection.
On The Night is ok as a souvenir album (you and your friend is superb) but it’s too clean and does miss the passion shows like Basel have.

Agreed, Y&YF from OTN is (IMHO) magnificent, that interplay between MK and Paul Franklin on his Pedabro leading to a sublime climax.

I would love to hear some more soundboards of Y&YF from other concerts, but have only managed to find a (non soundboard) version from Munich....
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

hunter

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2019, 05:54:48 AM »
Agreed, Y&YF from OTN is (IMHO) magnificent, that interplay between MK and Paul Franklin on his Pedabro leading to a sublime climax.

I would love to hear some more soundboards of Y&YF from other concerts, but have only managed to find a (non soundboard) version from Munich....

I used to put YYF and BIA from the OTN album on repeat and turn off the light. The mood of those songs/versions is sublime. And the solos - Mark's, Paul's and Alan's - are so good. The last part of Mark's solo on YYF I think is his most inspired moment ever. It's as if his soul is plugged straight into the amplifier.

OTN, overall, is a little slick sounding, listening to it in 2019. But it fits the era, I guess, and you get the feeling that DS was a big, top-level band.

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2019, 03:30:36 PM »
Couldn’t agree more!

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2019, 03:59:24 PM »

I am still waiting after so many years for a special edition including all the missing songs...

it's really a farce, it's like MK doesn't want to be too successful
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

hunter

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2019, 07:30:17 PM »
Listening to YYF a lot now. Live version. Can you imagine having David Gilmour playing guest lead guitar on that? OMG.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 46 queries.