Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: recent David Gilmour documentary  (Read 5911 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: recent David Gilmour documentary
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 11:50:52 PM »
Check your keyboard, it looks like broken or badly configured.

Have you make consider maybe I am dyslectric and my english languge like piece of sheet? But you make understand, so no problemo.

Any PC, laptop, smartphone has options to check spelling automatically.

For me automatic spell make worse. Believe in me.
all cool. don't worry. we all got it.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 11:53:45 PM »
that documentary had everything i had always hoped one day to see from mark.
also, DG's tours were far more exciting, especially this last one, great show, amazing lights, AND a guitar sound that is simply mindblowing. add to that the fucktastic songs of his back catalogue, as well as a (far better then on an island) great new solo album. the man is kind, gentle to fans.
not a bad word about DG pls. thank you.
@LE: even if you do not like the man, check the docu, and then wonder if you have not always wanted to see this from mark? am really interested in your unbiased opinion
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Love Expresso

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 08:31:50 AM »
Hey Pottel, thanks, I will! Will watch the docu when I find time (which is a little of a problem these days.) Will report back.

Unbiased: Regardless of what I said, every single time I hear the outro guitar solo of "Another Brick in The Wall" on the radio, which is played played regularly here in Germany, I really think that this (to me!) is definitely the most genious guitar solo of all time, and MK has not delivered such a solo. Well, not one that touches me this way. Pure Strat sound (EDITED: Les Paul Gold Top  ;D ), even the twiddly bits on the Sultans album versions cannot stand against this. The outro of Sultans until 1996 of course was from another planet, and Brothers in Arms sounds fabulous, but a "solo" in terms of a "part" - this one beats them all.

Have a nice day all!

LE
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 12:23:55 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 11:25:02 AM »
Wasn't Another Brick In The Wall played with a Les Paul Gold Top?
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Love Expresso

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 12:22:33 PM »
I asked Wikipedia ad you are right of course. How could I possibly know? I never was too much into these things. To me, it sounds like a Strat actually. Thanks for the corrections.  :wave  :smack

LE

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 04:19:51 PM »
I absolutely love Get Lucky, Privateering and Tracker but I don't let it cloud my judgement on his playing. It's not about playing fast or slow, it's about passion. As a guitarrist I promise you all Mark no longer cares about the guitar ace thing. When he plays SoS or BiA it's like he's being forced into the solos and licks. He simply doesn't enjoy it anymore. The vibratos are there, the bends are there, the touch is there, the tones are there, but he lacks fluidity, passion... You don't see him go for those percussion like licks anymore for example. The solos are unconnected, abrupt, there are no dynamics, surprises, little treats. Don't get me wrong, I still love Mark's work as a whole, but his guitar playing as we once loved is far gone.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinejeffreyvr

• Local Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 05:05:45 PM »
I absolutely love Get Lucky, Privateering and Tracker but I don't let it cloud my judgement on his playing. It's not about playing fast or slow, it's about passion. As a guitarrist I promise you all Mark no longer cares about the guitar ace thing. When he plays SoS or BiA it's like he's being forced into the solos and licks. He simply doesn't enjoy it anymore. The vibratos are there, the bends are there, the touch is there, the tones are there, but he lacks fluidity, passion... You don't see him go for those percussion like licks anymore for example. The solos are unconnected, abrupt, there are no dynamics, surprises, little treats. Don't get me wrong, I still love Mark's work as a whole, but his guitar playing as we once loved is far gone.

I think you're on the money here.

And I understand it to be honest, if you're touring and you play the same songs just about every day, it gets old. Especially after so many years. So I get why he sometimes does not feel like playing Sultans, Brothers - Romeo & Juliet - but when touring most people seem to expect and look forward to those songs to come along.
Hey, don't forget your hat.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2016, 05:34:26 PM »

I think you're on the money here.

And I understand it to be honest, if you're touring and you play the same songs just about every day, it gets old. Especially after so many years. So I get why he sometimes does not feel like playing Sultans, Brothers - Romeo & Juliet - but when touring most people seem to expect and look forward to those songs to come along.

Most likely, but his playing is blend when he does his new stuff as well. I don't know if it's because he can't bother practicing or maybe his brain doesn't talk much with his hands these days, but the fact is his playing has been affected and it doesn't look like it's getting better any time soon.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.029 seconds with 40 queries.