Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Nobel Prize in Literature 2016 for Bob Dylan  (Read 12111 times)

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2016 for Bob Dylan
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2016, 10:19:06 AM »
Bob has declined the Nobel prize..
He will explain more on saturday press conference.

Is there any article, video etc of that press conference?

Sorry, that's fake information. No press conference, no declining. Just Bob beinb Bob.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2016, 10:52:17 AM »
Bob has declined the Nobel prize..
He will explain more on saturday press conference.

Is there any article, video etc of that press conference?

Sorry, that's fake information. No press conference, no declining. Just Bob beinb Bob.

How much I miss that Bob being Bob and Krusty references  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2016, 11:18:20 AM »
Apparently all references to his award have been removed from his website.
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2016, 09:12:44 PM »
The message on the signboard outside Hibbing High School:

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2016, 10:48:57 PM »
In an earlier post, I said that I couldn't recall the precise details of when it was first suggested that Dylan be awarded the Nobel prize for Literature. A friend on the other side of the world has provided the answer. I used to write a Dylan newsletter (indeed, I did so for 28 years) and I was pointed to the correct issue.

It was Item number 3492 (I used to number every news item to allow for ready cross-referencing) in issue number  1197 of THE WICKED MESSENGER (the title of a Dylan song, if you didn't know)  and was written on 28 September 1996. It was published in issue number 69 of a Dylan fanzine called ISIS (still going and a title taken from another Dylan song), which was the October-November 1996 issue. My newsletters in that issue covered the period from 23 August 1996 to 12 October 1996 - 15 pages in all, over less than 2 months !!!!

I can now report that, when I woke that morning, there was a review of the newspapers on the radio and it informed me that there was a report in THE GUARDIAN about Dylan and the Nobel Prize. THE GUARDIAN said that there had been a campaign in Norway and that Professor Gordon Ball of the Virginia Military Institute in the United States, having received a form from the Academy, has sent a letter in support of the campaign saying of Dylan, amongst other things, that "He has restored the oral tradition with his minstrelsy, His work qualifies as both poetry and music".

So, it looks like this started some time in the mid-1990s but was first supported by an academic in late 1996.  It has taken a mere 20 years.

OfflineElise

• Guitar George
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2016, 11:19:51 PM »
I'm so happy a songwriter got the  Nobel prize for literature. I'm an literature student and in my university there's, of course, a lot of debating going on, but I'm always on the 'pro' side. I think it's only logical that poetry can be on music too. It still will be poetry when someone recites a poem on a stage, won't it? So if I sing poetry it will be poetry, still. To top that of, in ancient times poetry was meant to be sung.

I'm happy songwriters get the respect they should get. Although I'm happy, I think there should be a category for Music too. Musical structures take poetry to a whole other level. Let's campaign ;)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A300FU met Tapatalk

...like the Spanish City to me, when we were kids

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2016, 08:46:08 PM »
In an earlier post, I said that I couldn't recall the precise details of when it was first suggested that Dylan be awarded the Nobel prize for Literature. A friend on the other side of the world has provided the answer. I used to write a Dylan newsletter (indeed, I did so for 28 years) and I was pointed to the correct issue.

It was Item number 3492 (I used to number every news item to allow for ready cross-referencing) in issue number  1197 of THE WICKED MESSENGER (the title of a Dylan song, if you didn't know)  and was written on 28 September 1996. It was published in issue number 69 of a Dylan fanzine called ISIS (still going and a title taken from another Dylan song), which was the October-November 1996 issue. My newsletters in that issue covered the period from 23 August 1996 to 12 October 1996 - 15 pages in all, over less than 2 months !!!!

I can now report that, when I woke that morning, there was a review of the newspapers on the radio and it informed me that there was a report in THE GUARDIAN about Dylan and the Nobel Prize. THE GUARDIAN said that there had been a campaign in Norway and that Professor Gordon Ball of the Virginia Military Institute in the United States, having received a form from the Academy, has sent a letter in support of the campaign saying of Dylan, amongst other things, that "He has restored the oral tradition with his minstrelsy, His work qualifies as both poetry and music".
always been flabbergasted by the detailed knowledge of dylan fans.
So, it looks like this started some time in the mid-1990s but was first supported by an academic in late 1996.  It has taken a mere 20 years.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2016, 01:03:35 PM »
Just to let you know that Dylan fanzine I mentioned in a previous post(ISIS) has got to Issue No.188, with No.189 currently being put together. The magazine is A4-size, printed on glossy paper and comes out 6 times a year. Issue No.188 has 54 pages, around 20 of the pages being in full colour.  ISIS

There is also another British Dylan fanzine. It's called THE BRIDGE. It is A5 size, with over 100 glossy pages per issue and is perfect-bound. It comes out three  times a year. It has continued the legacy of THE TELEGRAPH, following the sad death of its editor and principal founder, John Bauldie. THE TELEGRAPH started publishing in November 1981.

Between these two magazines, we fans of "Mr Bob" get over 600 pages per annum of Dylan news, analysis, reviews etc., etc ., etc. This is in addition to a daily on-line news compilation (Expecting Rain) and a seemingly endless supply of books about Dylan.

These things may not be about the literary worthiness or otherwise of Dylan but they do indicate the scope and impact of his output over the years.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2016, 11:31:34 AM »
In this fanzines, there are any references to Knopfler, when they recorded and toured together?

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2016, 07:53:15 PM »
There will be something (at least about INFIDELS and their touring together) I would have thought.  I doubt if there's much about SLOW TRAIN COMING because thatwas before these fanzines really got going.

You should, however, know (if it has not come to your attention already) that the next BOOTLEG SERIES release will likely cover Mr Bob's "Gospel Years" - that is, 1979 to 1981.  I do not know the content but I would like to think that there will be out-takes and alternate takes of songs from the SLOW TRAIN COMING sessions.  For example, they did several complete takes of "Trouble In Mind", "Gotta Serve Somebody", Do Right To Me Baby", "When He Returns" and "Man Gave Names" as well as a song entitled, "Ain't No Man Righteous, No Not One". There were also some overdub sessions that involved MK.

If (and I emphasise "IF") there is a large (and thus quite expensive) collectors' edition, we might even get something like THE CUTTING EDGE (that is, a lot of studio material as they all worked towards the final released version of the album). If so, they'd probably include some concert recordings, from this period, in the Collectors' Edition but these would not include MK, so would be of less interest to AMIT-ers.

This is ALL SPECULATION on my part. I have no inside knowledge so I stress that I have absolutely no idea as to the final content. Indeed, I suspect that those compiling it don't know the content yet either.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2016, 10:01:36 PM »
That would be splendid!  I like those Christian records...

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2016, 10:33:13 PM »
There will be something (at least about INFIDELS and their touring together) I would have thought.  I doubt if there's much about SLOW TRAIN COMING because thatwas before these fanzines really got going.

You should, however, know (if it has not come to your attention already) that the next BOOTLEG SERIES release will likely cover Mr Bob's "Gospel Years" - that is, 1979 to 1981.  I do not know the content but I would like to think that there will be out-takes and alternate takes of songs from the SLOW TRAIN COMING sessions.  For example, they did several complete takes of "Trouble In Mind", "Gotta Serve Somebody", Do Right To Me Baby", "When He Returns" and "Man Gave Names" as well as a song entitled, "Ain't No Man Righteous, No Not One". There were also some overdub sessions that involved MK.

If (and I emphasise "IF") there is a large (and thus quite expensive) collectors' edition, we might even get something like THE CUTTING EDGE (that is, a lot of studio material as they all worked towards the final released version of the album). If so, they'd probably include some concert recordings, from this period, in the Collectors' Edition but these would not include MK, so would be of less interest to AMIT-ers.

This is ALL SPECULATION on my part. I have no inside knowledge so I stress that I have absolutely no idea as to the final content. Indeed, I suspect that those compiling it don't know the content yet either.
slow train coming is one of my absolute favourite BD albums, MK playing so well on it is only a bonus for me..
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2016, 12:27:55 AM »
The Gospel era bootleg is a very strong rumour, and very exciting, the outtakes from Slow Train & Saved and his live passionate concerts at that time, amazing. I've never enjoyed Shot of Love, but the already available alt. version of Every Grain Of Sand is a true masterpiece (on par with Blind Willie) / complete with dog barking in the background. Check it out on vol3 Bootleg series. Would love to hear some new interesting guitar takes from Mark of course.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2016, 10:43:17 AM »
Yes, indeed - and some of the shows in 1980 were professionally filmed (again, no MK, I'm afraid).

Logically, there will be  material from the  SAVED and SHOT OF LOVE sessions, so the MK content may be less than you AMIT-ers would wish but the chances of something "new" (and thus of interest to you) seems pretty high to me.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2016, 10:53:13 AM »
From "slow train" I can't recall many songs left out apart Trouble in mind and some that are already in the bootleg session 1-3, probably TWM knows more about that sessions and how many songs were left out...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 36 queries.