Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark Knopfler 1958 Les Paul  (Read 67950 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Mark Knopfler 1958 Les Paul
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 06:56:28 PM »
WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 07:10:40 PM »
I was amazed initially, but since it's Custom Shop, no way I will afford it anyway, as well as any "normal" musician.
As with Martin's "The Ragpicker's Dream" Signature Acoustic, 100 collectors-millionaires would buy it and that's it.

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 08:02:42 PM »
I'd guess that it will be cost more than 10,000 US$.....
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 11:16:33 PM »
By way of comparison, cost of an Ace Frehley model is just shy of 10k...

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/AF034/2015-ace-frehley-1959-les-paul-reissue-vintage-gloss/?cat_id=244

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinediremark86

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 12:49:06 AM »
 :o :o :o :o :o

Given that I have taken a hiatus from social media due to the political season in America, please keep this forum updated if anyone hears information about ordering one... I think I may have to have one!!!

OfflineTobben

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 09:39:09 AM »
It will be two types. One in Aged finish and one in VOS. The price for the VOS guitar will be somewhere around 6500 and the aged will be somewhere around 8000 american dollars.. My local dealer confirmed the two types, but said they didn´t know exactly what the prices would be yet.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 09:40:20 AM »

Given that I have taken a hiatus from social media due to the political season in America, please keep this forum updated if anyone hears information about ordering one... I think I may have to have one!!!

Even for $10,000? :o :o :o :o :o :o

I contacted one of my MK-friends and he said he will buy MK Les Paul regardless of price point, he will put it on a stand to LOOK at it.

So this is definitely the guitar to look at, but not to play on it. Stop the Earth, please, I quit.

Offlinediremark86

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 04:10:14 PM »

I contacted one of my MK-friends and he said he will buy MK Les Paul regardless of price point, he will put it on a stand to LOOK at it.

So this is definitely the guitar to look at, but not to play on it. Stop the Earth, please, I quit.

If they stick to the mold of having a very small number of them actually signed by Mark (it looks like they often do 50 guitars for a run like this, and on some models Gibson claims that the artists personally played them for approval) then yes, even for 10k. 10k just for a piece of paper to say it is a MK Les Paul, no. That having been said, it isn't unheard of for a 58 or 59 reissue to retail between 5-7k without an artist endorsement, especially if it is 'aged'. So, if it specifies somewhere that it is a MK Paul, then 8k isn't out of the question.

All of this having been said, I am perfectly aware that my guitar obsession is, for lack of a better word, a disease lol. I am in the process of building an automated climate controlled room for all of my guitars. I can't wait until it is finished.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 04:18:13 PM by diremark86 »

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 09:48:45 PM »

Most of these Les Paul signature models go to collectors.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 11:22:13 PM »
Best source of info here. Apparently MK is signing 50 in London next month.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?202565-Gibson-Custom-Introduces-Knopfler&p=2729288#post2729288

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 11:35:15 PM »
Best source of info here. Apparently MK is signing 50 in London next month.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?202565-Gibson-Custom-Introduces-Knopfler&p=2729288#post2729288

So frustrating that it needs a truck full of money for buying it. Makes me think how Fender was so much people-oriented STILL releasing a signature guitar, and at the same time one of THE best signature models for ordinary musicians, not collectors. I know it WILL find its buyers, I know all that, but it definitely would not be me in this lifetime and this is a shame. And I know all custom & Signature Les Pauls cost a fortune.

I wonder how Mark finds this? He might as well release his signature Range Rover MK or Omega Speedmaster Mark Knopfler Signature watch.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 07:50:30 AM »
There were interviews years ago where he said that Gibson were interested in doing a signature but he was worried about the cost. But then he also speculated about a Mexican version of the Strat to keep costs down and that never happened.

We can moan about these being out of reach of most of us but the fact is the same is true of the signature Martins and Pensas so nothing's really changed.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 05:55:18 PM »
A perfect buyer right there.

Offlinediremark86

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 03:18:13 PM »
So, the scoop I am getting from my preferred Gibson dealer is that there are three options for the guitar. Two are Standard Historic Models, one aged (limited to 100 worldwide) for roughly 6700 USD and one VOS (limited to 150 worldwide) for roughly 5100 USD. There will also be a True Historic Model, alleged to be hand signed by Mark limited to 50 worldwide, but no one quite knows the price or release on that line yet. The VOS models have already been distributed to dealers. I have one with my name on it while I try to sort this out....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 38 queries.