Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Does MK respekt his guitar talent?  (Read 9480 times)

OfflineCrusty

• Banned
  • Camerado
Does MK respekt his guitar talent?
« on: November 05, 2016, 10:12:14 PM »
Mark say in interview it is important respect your talent and maybe he don't do this when he was younger. Maybe he was thinking about talent of sognwriting?

But I think is sad or like kontradiction that he makes not so strong effort for guitar play now. I do not mean 20 minute solo, that is old and boring. But he play very simple now. No developmend or a finesse. I think he is not respect his gitar talent.

:(

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
Re: Does MK respekt his guitar talent?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 11:24:02 PM »
Mark say in interview it is important respect your talent and maybe he don't do this when he was younger. Maybe he was thinking about talent of sognwriting?

But I think is sad or like kontradiction that he makes not so strong effort for guitar play now. I do not mean 20 minute solo, that is old and boring. But he play very simple now. No developmend or a finesse. I think he is not respect his gitar talent.

:(

Learn what does "struggling" means.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 12:14:59 AM »
I think for Mark its more about respecting the song now. I'm sure if he deemed that a new song required a 28 minute guitar solo he would do so accordingly.

Incidentally I don't buy into the idea that he is no longer capable on the instrument, listen to the first 12 bars of Playtime Deluxe, as a guitar player myself I can safely say that there are still some awesome 'chops' lurking in those fingers  :).....

OfflineCrusty

• Banned
  • Camerado
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 12:21:29 AM »

?

OfflineCrusty

• Banned
  • Camerado
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 12:28:08 AM »
I think for Mark its more about respecting the song now. I'm sure if he deemed that a new song required a 28 minute guitar solo he would do so accordingly.

Incidentally I don't buy into the idea that he is no longer capable on the instrument, listen to the first 12 bars of Playtime Deluxe, as a guitar player myself I can safely say that there are still some awesome 'chops' lurking in those fingers  :).....

I disagree. He play strong, with good passion, which is always a good thing. But if we look at smmooth playing, it is not. I am honest, I hear better guitarist at local jam sessien. MK is world class artist, but I think he neglecting his guitar talent. He has not growed in guitar for many years. He need new Chet Adkins.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 12:47:33 AM »
Mark once said clearly that "Song is king", although over the years he surely developed a strong facility both for writing AND for playing.

He answered your question in this golden and low-resolution video from 2001:

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 11:19:49 AM »
I tend to agree with Polizei's point to an extent and have said so in the past, although not with those words.  I do not recall the interview where he said this "respect your talent" quote, but Mark has been known to contradict himself.  IMHO he simply doesn't practice often enough and this is probably due to his love-affair with the guitar being over.  This became apparent to me when I heard him say "the song is king."  The irony is that I don't think he is as good a songwriter these days.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 11:21:09 AM »

?

eins_zwei_polizei, Oxford english dictonary is your friend : struggle

@2manyguitars : There is a difference between playing a one off 30 minutes long gig and doing an 80 times x 2 hours longs.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 04:13:35 PM »
The "respect your talent" quote came from a interview during the Golden Heart area I believe, I'll try to find it.

OfflineCrusty

• Banned
  • Camerado
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 06:48:16 PM »

?

eins_zwei_polizei, Oxford english dictonary is your friend : struggle

I know meaning struggle, but who struggle? MK? Me? You?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 06:54:08 PM »
I tend to agree with Polizei's point to an extent and have said so in the past, although not with those words.  I do not recall the interview where he said this "respect your talent" quote, but Mark has been known to contradict himself.  IMHO he simply doesn't practice often enough and this is probably due to his love-affair with the guitar being over.  This became apparent to me when I heard him say "the song is king."  The irony is that I don't think he is as good a songwriter these days.

The main problem is not pratice, believe me.
The main problem is that his classics like Sultans or Telegraph were played extremely fast in the Dire Straits years up to 1992.

The more the time passes the more he is uncapable of playing that fast, it's just normal and physiological at his age.
There's absolutely nothing he can do.

Perhaps physically that is the case (and that doesn't necessarily bother me) but he can still practise more I believe and make his playing better.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineCrusty

• Banned
  • Camerado
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 06:58:10 PM »

The main problem is that his classics like Sultans or Telegraph were played extremely fast in the Dire Straits years up to 1992.

The more the time passes the more he is uncapable of playing that fast, it's just normal and physiological at his age.

I don't talk about long solo, or faster solo, but new repertoar. About 1990 MK had many time together Chet Atkins and many new licks for On Evry Street CD. In 1982 about he learnt jazz. What new he learn from 2000? He has megatalent for guitar but does not make developmend.

He get older, it is no problem for me. I eccept he is not fast or less strong then before, but I hear he play same licks as always before.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 07:02:11 PM by eins_zwei_polizei »

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 08:27:18 PM »

I don't talk about long solo, or faster solo, but new repertoar. About 1990 MK had many time together Chet Atkins and many new licks for On Evry Street CD. In 1982 about he learnt jazz. What new he learn from 2000? He has megatalent for guitar but does not make developmend.

He get older, it is no problem for me. I eccept he is not fast or less strong then before, but I hear he play same licks as always before.
Great words but I'm just not sure... I believe he CAN play, only is what HE wants or like to play now. Who can say what would one like when come to his age? My advice is just to enjoy in what he gives as a Great Artist in the given moment.
Anyway "He don't care if we like it or if we not, never did much care about if we will or won't."
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 08:28:39 PM »
 :)
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

OfflineCrusty

• Banned
  • Camerado
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2016, 08:42:41 PM »
So my teori is that he don't give respect to guitar talent and make contradiction.

It is ok. He has a right. But for me it is irritation.  :)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 38 queries.