Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: A new MK collaboration...  (Read 8667 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: A new MK collaboration...
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 05:20:26 PM »
I never get remotely excited by a collaboration these days.  In the old days it used to be an event, but when they become so frequent that he just mails them in then it's not worth it.  In saying that, that's how All the Roadrunning was recorded.

Actually All the road running was recorded during the RPD sessions, and some of them in special sesssions for it in Nashville

Well, at least that makes my point valid! 

I thought it had been discussed on here before though; that it was "phoned in."  Or at least bits of it.  Hmm...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 05:57:57 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Love Expresso

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 05:42:40 PM »
This dude is from the Black Keys and if I'm not mistaken his band is heavily influenced by DS - I think they've been mentioned a few times on Guy's forum. If that's the case it's very nice of Mark to contribute.

The gesture itself is nice and it is MK's "daily" work to play music. It is not that I judge his contribution to this band as such. It is just that in terms of our expectations regarding a possible "secret" very thrilling thing that happens at BG at the moment hardly can be explained with this thing. That is what I meant with my post saying that it does not deserve much attention. From us I should have added.

LE

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 05:45:08 PM »
If I remember well "All the road running" was recorded during different sessions over the years, the first one(s) being at the time of STP.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 06:15:13 PM »
I think I read that B.B.King collaboration with MK was FedEx and they didn't see each other. I don't know if it was like that or.my memory fails but when one of your heroes wants you in his record, it doesn't matter how busy you are... Do an effort... It's your hero! When schedule is more important... Something is missed.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 06:20:18 PM »
If I remember well "All the road running" was recorded during different sessions over the years, the first one(s) being at the time of STP.

Yes, as far as I recall, Red Stagerwing and Donkeytown comes from STP sessions, If This Is Goodbye and some others comes from the RPD sessions, some comes from SL sessions (they recorded a version of All that matters with Emmylou that was not used) and there were some sessions in Nashville, I think that it were two weeks with Emmylou in 2004 or 2005... And at the end of 2005 everything was put together, mixed etc in the then brand new British Grove Studios...

It's easy to know from when the songs comes looking at the copyright of each one in the booklet.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 06:23:15 PM by jbaent »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 08:43:11 PM »
Mark said in an interview that his collaboration with Chet Atkins was recorded over the phone, too.
You can imagine how these guys was busy back then in London and Nashville respectively. Ouch! ;D

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 10:48:58 PM »
Everyone went to the studio in Nashville to play in the record except Knopfler who sent the track from London...

Well done Mark!

And he probably doesn't even know the man in question personally, I like that :lol :lol :lol

Mark doesn't know David Crosby either, but David was over the moon with Mark's contribution to his song!!

I find that extremely hard to believe. (part 1)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 10:51:24 PM »
I think I read that B.B.King collaboration with MK was FedEx and they didn't see each other. I don't know if it was like that or.my memory fails but when one of your heroes wants you in his record, it doesn't matter how busy you are... Do an effort... It's your hero! When schedule is more important... Something is missed.
true, is his "Live at the regal" not his favourite record of all time?

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016, 11:40:03 PM »

This record is quite legendary in blues cycles, it features outstanding guitar playing from BB which you can explore like a textbook. Mark always mention this "triangle" between the voice, guitar and the audience and I always wandered if Mark knows that this concert was actually recorded in a mostly black club, so BB was playing here for black people, and you can imagine how well they would love their famous brother playing top-notch blues there. And all the screaming and audience chemistry has a very clear and reasonable explanation to it.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2016, 12:41:07 AM »

This record is quite legendary in blues cycles, it features outstanding guitar playing from BB which you can explore like a textbook. Mark always mention this "triangle" between the voice, guitar and the audience and I always wandered if Mark knows that this concert was actually recorded in a mostly black club, so BB was playing here for black people, and you can imagine how well they would love their famous brother playing top-notch blues there. And all the screaming and audience chemistry has a very clear and reasonable explanation to it.

In 1964, in the US the white audience for blues club concert was certainly not a massive one.
Add that BB King gained popularity according to him when in the early seventies he switched from the usual club circuit to play college and universities circuit and thus reaching a white audience.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2017, 09:06:00 AM »
Either way I am looking forward to hearing the track wherever MK's contribution was recorded......
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2017, 10:42:14 AM »
Looks like it wasn't Mark's choice to not go to Nashville if you read the quote below from Rolling Stone magazine:

9. For the new song "Shine on Me," Auerbach recruited Mark Knopfler – with a simple email.
"I sent him an email with the song saying, 'I thought of you. If you'd like to contribute, here it is,'" recalls Auerbach, who asked the Dire Straits founder-guitarist for just some simple rhythm playing. "A day and a half later, he sent me audio files. He was home in London, and has a studio there. I called him to thank him."
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2017, 10:56:06 AM »
Looks like it wasn't Mark's choice to not go to Nashville if you read the quote below from Rolling Stone magazine:

9. For the new song "Shine on Me," Auerbach recruited Mark Knopfler – with a simple email.
"I sent him an email with the song saying, 'I thought of you. If you'd like to contribute, here it is,'" recalls Auerbach, who asked the Dire Straits founder-guitarist for just some simple rhythm playing. "A day and a half later, he sent me audio files. He was home in London, and has a studio there. I called him to thank him."

Nice!

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2017, 08:04:41 PM »
Another collaboration of a well known singer to us...

https://americansongwriter.com/2017/01/pieta-brown-readies-new-album-postcards/

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2017, 10:13:26 PM »
mk can clearly be heard in the video on that link.
song is street tracker.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 40 queries.