Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mk with EC tour in 1988  (Read 4794 times)

Offlineybot

• Camerado
Mk with EC tour in 1988
« on: January 14, 2017, 02:17:58 PM »
Why did Mark(and Alan Clark) tour with EC?
Friendship, money? both?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Mk with EC tour in 1988
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 03:06:24 PM »
Why did Mark(and Alan Clark) tour with EC?
Friendship, money? both?

You'd probably have to ask Mark but he has said in the past that the only way to get better is by playing with other good musicians.  Remember there wasn't an album to promote so he maybe just wanted to keep his hand in.

He actually toured some dates in '87 and a RAH residency in '89 as well.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinexardas

• Local Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 06:48:31 PM »
For me it was strange when i read eric claptons biography and he didnt
mentioned that tour at all. Also Mark was only once breafly mentioned.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 01:59:36 AM »
Exact reason and how these did set up is unknown but it sounds like friendship between both and certainly not a money matter.
Mark being free, and getting an opportunity of touring again without the pressure of DS nor too many concerts to perform.
At the time Mark needed to breathe off Dire Straits.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 10:02:16 PM »
Exact reason and how these did set up is unknown but it sounds like friendship between both and certainly not a money matter.
Mark being free, and getting an opportunity of touring again without the pressure of DS nor too many concerts to perform.

Yes, I heard this too, probably from an interview.  I think off the back of the BIA tour Mark was just looking to keep himself up and running and in good form - also gave him chance to get away from his home situation, which he referred to on the BBC Radio 2 interview, but not this tour specifically.

Clapton can first be traced with MK back on stage in December 1985 where he joined Dire Straits on stage at the Hammersmith Odeon.  Check recordings of 19th December 1985 and 22nd December, both being great.   I read Eric enjoyed playing with younger musicians who had respect for him.

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 10:12:00 PM »
Mk and EC shared some stages at Prince Trust in the 80s and MK was par of the EC band by 1987 1988

I believe, Mark owed Eric one when Eric took Jack Sonni place in Mandela.

Have Jack ever played with DS ever since? No. I guess he had some issue

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 10:26:05 PM »
Besides, at Mandela , EC played WOL solos , MFN and his Wonderful tonite.
Mark introduced him in the interlude of WOL . After this song EC was actually forgotten.
It was like Mark introduced the best guitarrist ever and confined him to petty tasks.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 10:36:44 PM »

Yes, I heard this too, probably from an interview.  I think off the back of the BIA tour Mark was just looking to keep himself up and running and in good form - also gave him chance to get away from his home situation, which he referred to on the BBC Radio 2 interview, but not this tour specifically.

Clapton can first be traced with MK back on stage in December 1985 where he joined Dire Straits on stage at the Hammersmith Odeon.  Check recordings of 19th December 1985 and 22nd December, both being great.   I read Eric enjoyed playing with younger musicians who had respect for him.

Even earlier, Eric was pictured attending Dire Straits during their LOG tour.

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 11:11:48 PM »
LOG tour was at the end of 1982 to 1983
I did not know EC met DS
Did they meet at global concerts?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:22:25 AM by ybot »

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 06:47:20 PM »
In the Michael Oldfield book there is a picture of Clapton with End Bucknell, attending one of the Wembley Arena 1982 shows.

Clapton joined MK on stage at Hammersmith December 1985 concerts, at least the 19th and I think 22nd.

Then Princes Trust 1986 at Wembley Arena, and after that Mk joined Clapton band for some concerts in the UK, Paris, Brussels and maybe some more, then a full tour in 1988 and some RAH dates in 1989, while MK was composing Last Exit to Brooklyn score at home with Guy.

In his biography it just mention that MK was in his band for the 1988 tour, just mention, like if MK was just another random musician hired for the tour.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 12:34:50 AM »
I don't have a BIA album at hand now, if my memory serves me right, MK borrowed a guitar from EC during the BIA recoring session and that is the reason why EC was mentioned in the inner notes of BIA album.  I think they had started their friendship earlier than 1985.
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 02:37:15 PM »
I recall coming across a picture where you could spot Mark, Eric and David Knopfler, plus Robert Plant and others. Having David in I assume that was taken before his departure from DS which means pre-1980.

As for Eric's book I believe he simply respected the fact that Mark is a very private person. That being said it's not clear how close they are, sometimes it seems they are good buddies but sometimes I tend to believe it's just musical camaraderie. For instance, in the JJ Cale tribute promo video he says he never spoke to JJ about Mark. I was shocked.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 03:06:01 PM »
I recall coming across a picture where you could spot Mark, Eric and David Knopfler, plus Robert Plant and others. Having David in I assume that was taken before his departure from DS which means pre-1980.

As for Eric's book I believe he simply respected the fact that Mark is a very private person. That being said it's not clear how close they are, sometimes it seems they are good buddies but sometimes I tend to believe it's just musical camaraderie. For instance, in the JJ Cale tribute promo video he says he never spoke to JJ about Mark. I was shocked.

Interesting relationship indeed.  I think perhaps mutual respect.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 08:10:34 PM »
The strange thing is that at some point Eric and Mark ware sharing the stage but since the 2003 gig that never happened they never crossed their way again, and most surprisingly Mark never performed on any Crossroads event  :think

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 08:58:30 PM »
The strange thing is that at some point Eric and Mark ware sharing the stage but since the 2003 gig that never happened they never crossed their way again, and most surprisingly Mark never performed on any Crossroads event  :think

Not really surprising to me; not since the Monserrat show in 1997 has Mark performed at such a high-profile recorded/televised event with other major stars and it is never going to happen again.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 36 queries.