Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Best DIGITAL RECORDINGS- (2010-2013-2015)  (Read 8948 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Best DIGITAL RECORDINGS- (2010-2013-2015)
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 07:21:00 PM »
Paris 2010 is the king. After that one I hardly can listen to the recent tour bootlegs. In fact, after 2015 shows sticks 2010 sounds like a live album.

Yes, that is a great concert.  Mark was on fire here with some fine improvisation. 

@LE:  Yes Dr. Expresso.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 09:30:24 AM »
Paris 2010 is the king. After that one I hardly can listen to the recent tour bootlegs. In fact, after 2015 shows sticks 2010 sounds like a live album.

Yes, that is a great concert.  Mark was on fire here with some fine improvisation. 

Indeed. Paris 2010 is special to me, my first MK concert since 1992 (I lost touch after DS) so I am biased, and I know that precise people like Elian critized this concert for some mistakes... But to me it was magical, and the only time I had a 14-minute long TR like it was in 2005 !

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 12:06:54 PM »

Indeed. Paris 2010 is special to me, my first MK concert since 1992 (I lost touch after DS) so I am biased, and I know that precise people like Elian critized this concert for some mistakes... But to me it was magical, and the only time I had a 14-minute long TR like it was in 2005 !

The 2008 Paris show was also great.  There are some cities Mark just always puts on a special show don't you think?  I always enjoy the Toronto shows as well.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 12:09:33 PM by dmg »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 01:32:38 PM »

The 2008 Paris show was also great.  There are some cities Mark just always puts on a special show don't you think?  I always enjoy the Toronto shows as well.
Yes, Mark loves Paris !
I'm glad that finally you admit that MK's world did not end in 2001 after all :)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 08:35:40 PM »

Yes, Mark loves Paris !
I'm glad that finally you admit that MK's world did not end in 2001 after all :)

lol

Well, he went on a downward spiral after the highs of the BIA tour in '85/'86 IMHO.  Even on the OES tour he never hit the same level of performance, however it doesn't mean the other tours aren't worth listening to.  :)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 12:33:17 AM »

Yes, Mark loves Paris !

lol

Well, he went on a downward spiral after the highs of the BIA tour in '85/'86 IMHO.  Even on the OES tour he never hit the same level of performance, however it doesn't mean the other tours aren't worth listening to.  :)
In the OES tour his guitar skills were the finest ever, but this was somehow spolied by a lack of heart in what he was doing, abuse of Pensa and pedal steel, so I agree that the BIA tour was the highest point in terms of live feeling. There was too much synth on it, though, too much "outdated 80s" feel (even if I like it), and the horrible overdriven to death drums. The LOG tour maybe aged better.
I enjoyed all solo tours but I think TR was best played in 96/01/05. After that, the karaoke mode, and the shorter and slower solos made it less good..But still very enjoyable.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2017, 08:59:28 AM »
I agree, OES tour was MK.playing at its best but on autopilot, with no heart on it...

Maybe GH tour was a mix between playing at its best or near its best and with heart.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineTobben

• Camerado
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2017, 11:25:39 AM »
The Golden Heart tour was awesome. Listen to the recordings from Dublin and Galway  :) wish they would release some old recordings too...

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2017, 11:59:10 AM »
The Golden Heart tour was awesome. Listen to the recordings from Dublin and Galway  :) wish they would release some old recordings too...
It was an excellent tour but...
-i don't always like the arrangements. Sultans with piano was less good than with sax. BIA although played with the Les Paul (welcome back !) was too dark and slow. MFN was less good than in 2001 with the fab intro. Water of love was...Strange. TR was awesome, but so was it in 2001 and 2005.
-The set list was long, but by nature lacked all the classics than came afterwards (Wii, STP, SAN, HFB, WAM,...)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2017, 12:54:15 PM »
-i don't always like the arrangements. Sultans with piano was less good than with sax. BIA although played with the Les Paul (welcome back !) was too dark and slow. MFN was less good than in 2001 with the fab intro. Water of love was...Strange. TR was awesome, but so was it in 2001 and 2005.
-The set list was long, but by nature lacked all the classics than came afterwards (Wii, STP, SAN, HFB, WAM,...)

I'm agreeing with you today Herlock - keep going!!!

Sultans was slowed down by too much pinky-plonk piano; BIA as you say; MFN hasn't really been great since the BIA tour for me; Water of Love I prefer with slide;  TR as you say;  CE sounds terrible with synths instead of pedal steel and solos not as good.

Set, although long, contained too many insignificant film snippets that slowed things down.

The BIA you could say has a certain nostalgic 80s feel, or maybe I'm the only one who can still remember that decade! :lol

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2017, 01:03:27 PM »
agree here with herlock and dmg.
On the OES Tour, my first DS concert 1991, MK played superb but really on autopilot especially in 1992. Look at the Nimes concert.
The 1996 Tour the passion returned. MK was on fire. Very fine solos on Darling pretty and quite a rocky beginning of the concerts with DP, Imelda, The Bug and WOL. Very uptempo.
But also some strange arrangement like on Sultans, BIA and Calling Elvis. All a bit to slow.
Nice for us fans: Long setlists with nearly 3 hours of MK Music. and cool tiny venues.
But until now the STP Tour is my favourite. Still MK on Fire and cool new songs in the set. Love it
Love will find a Way

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2017, 01:33:33 PM »

I'm agreeing with you today Herlock - keep going!!!

Sultans was slowed down by too much pinky-plonk piano; BIA as you say; MFN hasn't really been great since the BIA tour for me; Water of Love I prefer with slide;  TR as you say;  CE sounds terrible with synths instead of pedal steel and solos not as good.

Set, although long, contained too many insignificant film snippets that slowed things down.

The BIA you could say has a certain nostalgic 80s feel, or maybe I'm the only one who can still remember that decade! :lol
Great we agree ! :) I acknowledge that Wembley 85 had probably the finest versions ever of the songs that were played. Even BIA, most people prefer Mandela 88 but I don't - the Les Paul, the never done again rocking ending, and even the 80s synth are just awesome. And even Sultans, most people say "overused keyboards" but I just love it.
TR is the only DS song that was played better in solo days than in DS days IMHO. 81 early versions are charming but immature, 83 versions are emotional and rocking but a bit rough and short, OES versions are cut and too fast, and spolied by sax and pedal steel, 2008+ versions are too mellow, but 96/01/05 ones were just perfect !
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 01:37:36 PM by herlock »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2017, 01:35:57 PM »
Maybe another execption maybe, MFN Montserrat 97 with the super group is even better than 85 versions - Dave for the cut intro, sadly...

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2017, 04:04:40 PM »
The first par of the OES tour IMHO feature Mark at its best. A bit rough, still adjusting, very interesting. Once the "settings" found turning into autopilot on the rest of the tour but even in this mode some part of the show were amazing, especially SOS starting played by four and ending full band.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Love Expresso

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2017, 11:09:37 PM »
The first par of the OES tour IMHO feature Mark at its best. A bit rough, still adjusting, very interesting. Once the "settings" found turning into autopilot on the rest of the tour but even in this mode some part of the show were amazing, especially SOS starting played by four and ending full band.

Fully agree! 

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 39 queries.