Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: David Knopfler to tour with Alan Clark  (Read 9543 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: David Knopfler to tour with Alan Clark
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 05:25:25 PM »
David is touring as a solo artists with many solo records released under his name...

???
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 05:32:30 PM »
David is touring as a solo artists with many solo records released under his name...

???

And using the DS brand to boost it, including having another former member he barely played with in his band and so called unreleased DS songs.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Love Expresso

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2017, 05:34:58 PM »
Took 6 posts in before things got negative but hey this is a discussion forum.

David was the founder of Dire Straits right?

So you think we HAVE TO go? For me, it is an very easy decision. It is the same level of asking me if I would go to any "fill name of top 10 which I haven't clue about". I wouldn't. Has not much to do with hate. Just total lack of interest. 

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2017, 05:41:58 PM »
Lack of interest is totally respectable and a good reason :)

David doesn't use the brand, but the promoter, same as promoters that announce MK.

And the promoter is not lying about anything...

This is not a DS tribute band like DSL, it's David playing his songs and 3 or 4 of his years in DS with another musician that is a friend of him and played with him in two of his solo records.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 05:44:01 PM by jbaent »

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 06:20:49 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I actually like some of David's albums, but to me it sounds opportunistic to use the name of a band you repeatedly bitch about. You dart out at your band, spend years and years of your life badmouthing it and all of a sudden you invite another member from band incarnations you've never been in and announce you'll play unreleased songs from that band. I don't know.

I respect David for leaving the band in pursuit of a dream and all that - and he actually stuck to his guns for a long time there - but what he's doing now is different. It's just my opinion, nobody needs to agree.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2017, 07:05:37 PM »
He's doing the same has done for years

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2017, 08:50:07 PM »
Two reasons not to go!

LE

Or two very good reasons to go!

I have all DK records and I like them, specially "The Giver", "Small Mercies", "Wishbones" and "Ship Of Dreams". I saw him live and it´s a nice and intimate show, and Alan Clark, he still has that touch that he used to have when Dire Straits, so both together are a good pair!

Alan work on "Wishbones" and "Ship Of Dreams" is very very good, they fit very well.
i went, kinda did not not like it. got a few of his albums. never played. he just does not have that touch mark has. simple as that imho...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 08:53:06 PM »
Lack of interest is totally respectable and a good reason :)

David doesn't use the brand, but the promoter, same as promoters that announce MK.

And the promoter is not lying about anything...

This is not a DS tribute band like DSL, it's David playing his songs and 3 or 4 of his years in DS with another musician that is a friend of him and played with him in two of his solo records.

FULLY AGREE
same happens with Mark, same happens with Gilmour.

Onlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2017, 09:01:50 PM »

So you think we HAVE TO go? For me, it is an very easy decision. It is the same level of asking me if I would go to any "fill name of top 10 which I haven't clue about". I wouldn't. Has not much to do with hate. Just total lack of interest. 

LE

I think you jumped a few steps there. I didn't make any mention of anyone going anywhere. I think lively debate on this topic is a good thing.

What is so interesting for me here is that we now have a situation where a bone fide founder member of the band wants to tour and play early tunes. To me that can only be a good thing and is a league above the various incarnations of the band (tribute or valid) that we have seen to date.   Will I go? If in my hometown, probably, not another country though.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2017, 09:06:27 PM »

LE

I think you jumped a few steps there. I didn't make any mention of anyone going anywhere. I think lively debate on this topic is a good thing.

What is so interesting for me here is that we now have a situation where a bone fide founder member of the band wants to tour and play early tunes. To me that can only be a good thing and is a league above the various incarnations of the band (tribute or valid) that we have seen to date.   Will I go? If in my hometown, probably, not another country though.
agree, with the founder bit.
still, would not go, anymore. been there, done that, and it was not exciting. i prefer following him on FB, he does come up with interesting things at times.

OfflineCrusty

• Banned
  • Camerado
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2017, 10:35:09 PM »
Dire Straits is like the huge cow with 200 tittis with milk for every one. It is joke. J O K E. David sing like duck sucking frog, say he dont like DS and MK, but like to milk DS. J O K E. Like with Alan Clark.

Onlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2017, 11:38:26 PM »

LE

still, would not go, anymore. been there, done that, and it was not exciting. i prefer following him on FB, he does come up with interesting things at times.

Fair enough. I've got to admit I'd probably think twice : haven't really shaken the image of DK in the Arena documentary and have never listened to any of his albums

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2017, 01:43:03 AM »

LE

Fair enough. I've got to admit I'd probably think twice : haven't really shaken the image of DK in the Arena documentary and have never listened to any of his albums
You're not missing much.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2017, 02:48:15 AM »
Dire Straits is like the huge cow with 200 tittis with milk for every one. It is joke. J O K E. David sing like duck sucking frog, say he dont like DS and MK, but like to milk DS. J O K E. Like with Alan Clark.

This could be a Donald Trump tweet, really made me laugh! :)
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinemitchellneil

• Guitar George
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2017, 03:24:33 PM »
I wouldn't waste my money. I was go to watch Alan Clark but DK is so boring

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 40 queries.