Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Classic Albums  (Read 2916 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Classic Albums
« on: March 07, 2017, 02:23:06 PM »
As you might now, it exists a series of dvds called "Classic Albums" where the artists talk about how that album were recorded, including some of Jimi Hendrix, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd etc etc

My surprise was to know that the original series came from a BBC Radio 1 programme of the same name, and its first episode was in 1989, about "Brothers In arms" record.

Did any of you knew about this? Is there any recording of it? With all the information we read in press and interviews about the BIA recording, it would had been so great to have a video documentary of it, but a radio one would be quite nice too..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Albums

http://z7.invisionfree.com/Silvertown_Blues/ar/t834.htm
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:25:14 PM by jbaent »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
Re: Classic Albums
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 02:54:14 PM »
I always wondered why there are so many pictures of the recording process of BIA and its surroundings out there whereas you barely find any from the others. That might be the answer. I'm very curious now.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 07:38:05 PM »
http://www.oneverybootleg.nl/classicbrothers.htm

Here

Can someone put on the tracker please

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 07:41:15 PM »
http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/radio1/england/1989-05-20

Appears the originak version is one hour long on Radio 1. The Radio 2 must be an edit

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 11:15:28 PM »
I have mentioned this radio program before. I'm sure Dusty says that he has a recording of it.
*the only other show I heard in this series, was a happy Brian Wilson raving about Pet Sounds!

For what it's worth (I'm remembering back to '80s when it was on..) MK trashes the whole album, he says things like So Far Away, Why Worry and MFN are all "too long", that One World is "..a terrible song.." - i recall him saying that Your Latest Trick had meaningless lyrics (paraphrasing) and that the only thing he thought worked out ok was the title track... at least he's consistent eh? :)
At the time i was a DS fan but by no means nuts about them (i was young!) and i kind of remember thinking 'that was an odd interview, who says things like that about a classic record everyone loves?'
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 11:19:07 PM »
I have mentioned this radio program before. I'm sure Dusty says that he has a recording of it.
*the only other show I heard in this series, was a happy Brian Wilson raving about Pet Sounds!

For what it's worth (I'm remembering back to '80s when it was on..) MK trashes the whole album, he says things like So Far Away, Why Worry and MFN are all "too long", that One World is "..a terrible song.." - i recall him saying that Your Latest Trick had meaningless lyrics (paraphrasing) and that the only thing he thought worked out ok was the title track... at least he's consistent eh? :)
At the time i was a DS fan but by no means nuts about them (i was young!) and i kind of remember thinking 'that was an odd interview, who says things like that about a classic record everyone loves?'

This program should be called CLASSIC MARK then :lol

I love when he just crashes his own creations, but to be absolutely fair, there's actually exist an element of truth in his self-criticism.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 11:21:31 PM by quizzaciously »

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 03:33:48 AM »
Well it's quite interesting, because at the time (although Cds were gaining in popularity) i had only ever heard the LP, and of course all 3 "too long" songs are much shorter on the LP. So i was even more bemused thinking, 'what is he on about?' - you can be sure Radio 1 only played short versions of tracks as well.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 12:36:50 PM »

It would be interesting to hear the complete broadcast then...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineMasiakasaurus

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 02:03:42 PM »

It would be interesting to hear the complete broadcast then...
I agree! I guess Marks grumpyness and self loathing (that I hear during the OES era) had begun by then  :P . I may be reading in too much on his interviews though.

Note, this is not really critizism from me, I kind of like great artists who don't like their own creations  ;D

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 01:02:42 AM »
Had the radio 2 edit, lost now i fear...
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.031 seconds with 37 queries.