Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: RIP Chuck Berry  (Read 6398 times)

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
RIP Chuck Berry
« on: March 19, 2017, 08:13:03 PM »
Surely the inspiration for Two Young Lovers, Used to Could and a whole lot else, Chuck Berry passed away today.

Undoubtedly a massive influence on MK.

Rest in peace Mr Berry.

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
Re: RIP Chuck Berry
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 08:40:45 PM »
Truly saddened by Chuck Berry's death. He was really the Rock and Roll Master!! Rest In Peace.

Envoyé de mon HUAWEI Y560-L01 en utilisant Tapatalk

But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 01:59:15 PM »
Big loss

sent from my galaxy s7 edge

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 02:38:04 PM »
A genius musician but apparently a real douchebag in life. At least that's what Clapton and Richards said so... RIP anyway.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 03:07:15 PM »
Probably. Clearly didn't stop them making a career out of the basis of his music

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 10:38:41 PM »
A genius musician but apparently a real douchebag in life. At least that's what Clapton and Richards said so... RIP anyway.

I think you've made a couple of mistakes in the words "honest man". He was just open and straight with life. He said he writes songs for money and get paid only before stepping up on stage. And so what? All the top-level musicians actually make a living out of their music, but who can say it straight in you face? I guess, the same amount of people can create rock-n-roll almost single-handedly. So he was a hero, really.

Onlinedannr1

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 11:41:11 AM »

I think you've made a couple of mistakes in the words "honest man". He was just open and straight with life. He said he writes songs for money and get paid only before stepping up on stage. And so what? All the top-level musicians actually make a living out of their music, but who can say it straight in you face? I guess, the same amount of people can create rock-n-roll almost single-handedly. So he was a hero, really.
It might refer more to his history with women over the years

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 06:51:43 PM »

You took it personally, didn't you? What I said was based on what Clapton and Richards stated. Apparently he treated everyone around him like shit. As for his reasoning for writing music I couldn't care less about it.

Onlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 10:34:54 AM »

You took it personally, didn't you? What I said was based on what Clapton and Richards stated. Apparently he treated everyone around him like shit. As for his reasoning for writing music I couldn't care less about it.

Exactly, you can even see an example of the douche-bag in the film "Hail Hail" when a sound engineer try to fix a problem on Chuck amp during a rehearsal. And Richards makes no secret that the project turned quite weird with Berry's behaviour.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 08:46:01 PM »

I take EVERYTHING personally, don't you know :lol

No, it just feels to me weird to call somebody who you never knew a douchebag because such and such said this and that.

It's like reading the comments under every video of Buddy Rich, about him being a douchebag. Maybe he was, but it's music that matters.

OfflineMasiakasaurus

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 11:03:47 AM »
Surely there have been people throughout history whom you've never met personally but you still view them as douchebags (or evil)?

I think it's an interesting subject, and I don't think anyone is denying the impact of Chuck on rock history?

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 04:40:59 PM »

I take EVERYTHING personally, don't you know :lol

No, it just feels to me weird to call somebody who you never knew a douchebag because such and such said this and that.

It's like reading the comments under every video of Buddy Rich, about him being a douchebag. Maybe he was, but it's music that matters.

I partially agree with you. I mentioned Clapton and Richards because they're musicians who I really look up to, especially Eric, but the statements about Chuck's douchebagness are endless. As a musician hats off to him, but as a human being I despise him. I don't know, I can separate things but in this specific case for me the fact that he was such an asshole suppresses his music. Again, it's me, just my opinion.

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 11:23:18 PM »
Talking about Eric, I'm not sure he has a clean track record:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1018281902

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 01:24:47 AM »
Eric Clapton? A racist? A guy who worships black bluesmen, whose band has always had at least two black musicians and has dated Naomi Campbell? That's laughable, sorry.

Love Expresso

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 09:46:33 AM »
That speech of him does hardly give any room for doubts that he is NOT racist, don't you think so?
But it's an old story and I think we already had a thread about it years ago.

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 38 queries.