Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Any version of Private Dancer, Paradise Is Here - Live with MK and Tina ?  (Read 7245 times)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
TR is a worst track on LOG album I think. Very flat.
Gosh, that's harsh a statement for the best song of all times !
I too prefer the live versions (Alchemy, Vaison, Lyon 2005..) but the studio version is not without merits: lots of subtile sounds, quite long despite the fade-outs...Only the vocals lack emotion compared to Alchemy.

And you get Mark both on the National and the electric on the studio take.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
TR is a worst track on LOG album I think. Very flat.
Gosh, that's harsh a statement for the best song of all times !
I too prefer the live versions (Alchemy, Vaison, Lyon 2005..) but the studio version is not without merits: lots of subtile sounds, quite long despite the fade-outs...Only the vocals lack emotion compared to Alchemy.

And you get Mark both on the National and the electric on the studio take.
Gosh, thanks, that's true, I had never noticed that ! And now I understand the infamous "karaoke mode" in live versions from 2008 onwards a little better: Mark did not replace the electric with the national, he actually made the opposite sacrifice as before, as he obviously cannot play both at the same time..Still, he could hand over the electric part to Richard, who is certainly able to handle that perfectly, and keep the national for himself !

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Sorry to interrupt you all, but Mark changed his National guitar to electric on Telegraph a lot even in the recent tours, am I right? When he took his Pensa guitar and did this "I'm an airplane" thing with his arms. He can change the instruments obviously, but want the karaoke mode because... he's Mark. Anyway, unfortunately I can't stand the 21st century Telegraph not because of Karaoke, nor because of the National guitar, but because of singing :disbelief

The song needs young, high pithed voice, but not the deep bass of an old, wise man, so I hope he wouldn't play this again, leaving precious 15 minutes of the set for other great songs he have in spades. Oh my god, 15 minutes, how many songs you can put here... 3? 4? 5? Come on!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Sorry to interrupt you all, but Mark changed his National guitar to electric on Telegraph a lot even in the recent tours, am I right? When he took his Pensa guitar and did this "I'm an airplane" thing with his arms. He can change the instruments obviously, but want the karaoke mode because... he's Mark. Anyway, unfortunately I can't stand the 21st century Telegraph not because of Karaoke, nor because of the National guitar, but because of singing :disbelief

The song needs young, high pithed voice, but not the deep bass of an old, wise man, so I hope he wouldn't play this again, leaving precious 15 minutes of the set for other great songs he have in spades. Oh my god, 15 minutes, how many songs you can put here... 3? 4? 5? Come on!

I have to disagree here, sorry.  Yes you can fit in a couple of other great songs, but you have to take the concert as a whole and there has to be a climax.  Drop Marbletown for a couple of other songs and that's fine!  Only really TR or ToL fulfilled this "climax" role and we all know that he isn't going to start playing the latter any time soon! 

I'm afraid Speedway just doesn't do it.  Some people are unsure if that's the end of the show and don't initially get to their feet and also it's unknown to some because it isn't a DS song.  TR is a perfect choice due to it's epic length and great solos.  I'm sure Mark could put more effort into the vocal to help if he really wanted to and on that point I agree.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 11:31:13 AM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineMasiakasaurus

• Camerado
quizzaciously: thank you for finding the quote :) !

Guys, you're all wrong! He shouldn't play TR because then he would have time to play Lady Writer, LOG and Lions  ;D

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

Guys, you're all wrong! He shouldn't play TR because then he would have time to play Lady Writer, LOG and Lions  ;D

I've always loved LOG, but it's really the studio production that does it.  The live versions are pretty rubbish and I would imagine it's difficult to recreate the studio version live.  YLT is another example of this in that it has never been performed live anywhere near the standard of the studio version in all of its incarnations.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet

Then you can ditch all versions except Alchemy - where you had emotion in the vocals. From OES tour on, the vocals have been pretty lifeless.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet

I've always loved LOG, but it's really the studio production that does it.  The live versions are pretty rubbish and I would imagine it's difficult to recreate the studio version live.  YLT is another example of this in that it has never been performed live anywhere near the standard of the studio version in all of its incarnations.
Agree ! Same for it never rains,  Solid Rock, MFN intro, WII, STP. Even Sultans to some extent. I love the extended versions, but none of them, and none of the 4-piece versions, reaches the smoothness and groove of the studio version with Pick

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler

This question was already answered by MK himself, on his last NA tour he dropped TR and played JUST On every street instead...

So he rather ends the concert before, instead of play more songs LOL
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
This question was already answered by MK himself, on his last NA tour he dropped TR and played JUST On every street instead...

So he rather ends the concert before, instead of play more songs LOL

This is actually hilarious :lol With that being said, I still can't get why so many people think that Mark will ever play Tunnel Of Love again. I think, there's a bigger chance of Mark dropping a hot rap album this year than of him singing this classic again.

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
Agree ! Same for it never rains,  Solid Rock, MFN intro, WII, STP. Even Sultans to some extent. I love the extended versions, but none of them, and none of the 4-piece versions, reaches the smoothness and groove of the studio version with Pick

The studio version of WII is so perfect and smooth it's almost impossible to play it that way. That said, I like the live versions with Ian on drums the most, the 2005/2008/2010 versions sound so lifeless to me. About Solid Rock, I have to say I never liked the studio version that much, somehow I really like the 91/92 version.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet

The studio version of WII is so perfect and smooth it's almost impossible to play it that way. That said, I like the live versions with Ian on drums the most, the 2005/2008/2010 versions sound so lifeless to me. About Solid Rock, I have to say I never liked the studio version that much, somehow I really like the 91/92 version.
I actually like the 2005 versions best. Ok, no violin, but just raw guitar - the song is overall less good than the studio version, but the faster ending somehow makes up for it.
I HATE to hear flute cover the guitar in 2010+ versions...
As for solid rock, the 91/92 versions are interesting but too "commercial" for me.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
I must admit to being in the camp that prefers the studio version of WII.  The guitar is just so powerful and song so fast-paced.  It was performed well on the promo tours (when he remembered the words lol) and in the charity shows 2002 though, with Chris White.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 38 queries.