Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Deciphering an enigma- Bootleg "Paris 22/06/1983  (Read 11149 times)

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
Re: Deciphering an enigma- Bootleg "Paris 22/06/1983 (version 1)"
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 10:24:54 PM »
The recorder, according to the info is Richard Le besnerais, an audio engineer at that time. He has an FB page: https://www.facebook.com/richard.lebesnerais?fref=ts

I asked if he remembers something.

Dear Binone, where is this information that Richard Le besnerais is the audio engineer at that time and was involved in the album MFN-1988 and specifically in Portobello Belle-live?
The info.txt file but is about the bootleg tape,  no the 1988 album.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 10:27:00 PM by binone »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 09:29:05 PM »
"Richard Le besnerais"....sounds very frenchy to me.... ;)

There is no information in the booklet of the LP or the CD of the MFN collection, informing the place where this recording of Portobello Belle was made, the only information is this: (June 1983), nothing more!

yes you are right, but I remember reading "Paris June 83" somewhere (another edition ? japaneses ? Video disc with clips ? can't remember)

ok I am listening to the whole concert right now, I am going to check your points

for now, can't say why, but i feel all voices sound french (not only one)
my recording is incomplete : I don't have going home. the last clip is named "14 Thank yous Come up and do the next 2 hours"
Is it the same recording ?

I will give back my impressions after listening the whole gig

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 11:29:16 PM »
ok I listened to it entirely, and I heard that :

several french voices audibles during quiet moments
sound a little bit saturated and woobbly at some points

intro in R&J : "I wrote this song when I was down" or something like that

indeed Terry plays his drum intro on Twisting
at the end of twisting by the pool, Mark seems to say "merci"

when Mark introduces the sax at the start of PB (around 2:20) he says something like "Mel sax from Paris"

during intro in TR : again "assis" en "debout" clearly audible on right channel, and not the same voices as on PB (on left channel)
ok they may be tourists, but if so, there would have been lot of french tourists at this dutch gig at that time...

at the end of TR, all the audience shouts "une autre, une autre une autre !" (which means "one more" in french)
 I don't think it's a dutch audience fulled of french tourists... :think

after solid rock Mark seems to say thank you and then "merci"
Alan plays indeed a small melody on piano, but to me it does not fit with Tulpen uit Amsterdam

sorry, but to me this gig sounds like a french audience, so very likely in Paris
or do I not have the same recording ? :hmm

OfflineBrunno Nunes- (Universo Dire Straits)

• Camerado
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 05:06:16 PM »
Today I was analyzing again the mystery that involves the Bootleg Paris 22/06/1983.

Recapping, There are 3 different versions of Paris 22/6, 2 of them, of the same recording, but different generation tape. The other, it is not from this date, for sure, after listening them... Analyzing the version that was wrongly cataloged as Paris 22/06/1983.  (The versions of the songs contained are clearly different, they have characteristics of the song, distinct), considering the fact of the introduction of Twisting by The pool, we can see that she still has that introduction with Terry on Drums. The latest version containing this typical introduction of Twisting by the pool is in the bootleg Paris- 21.06.83. 22.06.83 until the end of the 1983 tour, Twisting by the pool no longer has the intro with Terry.

I come to the conclusion that it is not (as I had thought before) one of the nights in Holland that was not cataloged, 12.06.1983, 14.06.1983 and 17.06.1983,
it seems to me that this is the second night in Paris- June 20, 1983.  (Until now not cataloged)

Note that:

1- In this revered version of bootleg "Paris 22/06/1983" Introduction of Twisting by The pool, we can see that it still has this introduction with Terry on Drums (The last version containing this typical introduction of Twisting by the pool is in the bootleg Paris - 21.06.83, 22.06.83 by the end of the 1983 tour, Twisting by the pool no longer has the introduction with Terry.)

2- The last track, is incomplete, I thought they played a traditional Dutch song (just like they do in the bootlges of the nights Den Bosch 13.06.1983 And Ahoy, 16.06.1983 (Tulpen uit Amsterdam), but really, do not deals with (Tulpen uit Amsterdam).

3 - JF had quoted interesting points as: "everal french voices audible during quiet moments
sound a little bit saturated and woobbly at some points

intro in R & J: "I wrote this song when I was down" or something like that

indeed Terry plays his drum intro on Twisting
at the end of twisting by the pool, Mark seems to say "merci"

when he introduces the sax at the start of PB (around 2:20) he says something like "Mel sax from Paris"

during intro in TR: again "assis" in "debout" clearly audible on right channel, and not the same voices as on PB (on left channel)
ok they may be tourists, but if so, there would have been lot of french tourists at this dutch gig at that time ...

at the end of TR, all the audience shouts "un autre un autre un autre!" (which means "one more" in french)
 I do not think it's a dutch audience filled with french tourists ...: think

after solid rock Mark seems to say thank you and then "merci"
Alan plays indeed a small melody on piano, but he does not fit me with Tulpen uit Amsterdam "

For all this, I can only conclude that this recording is about the show on 20.06.1983 Palais des Sports Paris France.

I will name in my collection this recording as the Second Night in Paris (Palais des Sports, Paris, France) 20.06.1983.

End of the mystery for me!  ;)

« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 05:08:56 PM by wildstraits »
Visit my Blog- Universo dire Straits (Since 2007) http://universodirestraits.blogspot.com.br/

• Camerado
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2018, 05:18:24 PM »
Only by analyzing the points cited in this recording for clarity.

I left it so in my folders.  :wave
Visit my Blog- Universo dire Straits (Since 2007) http://universodirestraits.blogspot.com.br/

• Camerado
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2018, 05:26:21 PM »
Recalling that this same recording already appeared erroneously like Paris 1983-23-06 or 1983-22-06-83

So, if you have this recording with the features quoted in that topic (Introduction to Twisting by The Pool, we can see that it's still introduced with Terry on Drums, the last track, is incomplete, I thought they played a traditional Dutch song (just like they do in the bootlges of the nights Den Bosch 13.06.1983 And Ahoy, 16.06.1983 (Tulpen uit Amsterdam), but really, do not deals with (Tulpen uit Amsterdam) ...

She has EVERYTHING to be Second Night in Paris (Palais des Sports, Paris, France) 20.06.1983.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 06:09:46 PM by Brunno Nunes- (Universo Dire Straits) »

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
Re: Deciphering an enigma- Bootleg "Paris 22/06/1983
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 05:31:39 PM »
You guys are legends, MI6 level  :lol I could never get myself to do that.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineTerry01

• Camerado
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2018, 06:17:45 PM »
Thanks for deciphering this enigma..
Here is a photo from this concert, second night in Paris

• Camerado
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2018, 06:19:18 PM »
Thanks for deciphering this enigma..
Here is a photo from this concert, second night in Paris

It was a pleasure Knopfleriano and Straitsoferico!  ;D

:wave

• Camerado
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2018, 06:39:55 PM »
A few more from the second night in Paris- 20.06.1983.

I believe that tonight was filmed, after all, it's that night that contains the legendary version of Portobello Belle, which was used for the 1988 MFN compilation on LP and CD. Besides that, on the cover of booklet of this collection we have the information that Portobello Belle Live in June of 1983.

• Camerado
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2018, 06:40:50 PM »
More

1983.06.20 - Second Night in Paris (Palais des Sports, Paris, France)

• Camerado
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2018, 06:41:49 PM »
1983.06.20 - Second Night in Paris (Palais des Sports, Paris, France)

• Camerado
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2018, 06:43:06 PM »

Another very important point, I already posted this in another topic, but, another material that confirms that some of the shows in Paris 1983 were filmed and would be used to be Dire Straits' first live album. Notice at 3:18 of this interview, Mark reveals this.

Is there still this recording? It would be a holy grail, could be released, imagine the show in the LOG tour 83.

OfflineTobben

• Camerado
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2018, 07:06:45 PM »
aahh This is nice work! Thank you for the info!

Couldn't Mark just give inn already and release these old Dire Straits recordings... What bad can come out of it?

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2018, 07:31:28 PM »
aahh This is nice work! Thank you for the info!

Couldn't Mark just give inn already and release these old Dire Straits recordings... What bad can come out of it?

He should had to wake up from his sofa and dig into the archives... Too much work.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 37 queries.