Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Richard Bennett touring with Neil Diamond  (Read 3939 times)

Love Expresso

Richard Bennett touring with Neil Diamond
« on: May 01, 2017, 02:45:02 PM »
After two months of preparation, the tour is up and running, first couple of gigs have been played, as Richard writes in his Notes from the road.

This paragraph in it made me thinking:

"What have I been doing these 30 years?  The short answer is; Nashville, producing and playing on loads of records, recording and touring with Mark Knopfler as well as writing and making five albums under my own name.  Scarcely retired.  Still, when the opportunity to join Neil for this  50th Anniversary Tour came up, coupled with some co-operative scheduling, I leapt at the chance to take another lap around the track with ND and this grand bunch of musicians and friends."

Somewhat I detect a little Farewell in it. Could be wrong. What do you think? Is it possible to have another MK tour without Richard maybe?

LE

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Richard Bennett touring with Neil Diamond
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 03:56:26 PM »
could well read it that way indeed. on the other hand, what does he mean with "coupled with some co-operative scheduling"????
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 05:59:05 PM »
It does indeed sound to me like he intends to wind things down.  Certainly it would appear that he would do bits and bobs, but does not really want another world tour with the schedule Mark does.  :(
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 06:36:53 PM »
I think it depends on how you look at it. I think he said it positively, like he have no plans of retirement, which is always good.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 12:28:17 PM »
Just thinking here, if RB does decide not to tour then who will Mark choose as 2nd guitarist?  A new guy or an old pals act?  :think

David K. - Hmm...not so likely!
Phil Palmer - grey hair and Fender.  And sausages!
Luke Brighty - perhaps, but I doubt it.
Robbie McIntosh - best solution IMO.  Good player, has a friendly stage presence.
any others?

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 12:59:06 PM »
If no Richard, then Robbie McIntosh is the best option.    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 01:26:38 PM »
I don´t believe that Richard is saying goodbye, just that MK is going to be out of touring this year, so he can tour with Neil without problems...

When he says "Scarcely retired" I guess he means that maybe he´s not recording that much as a session player, and that he´s only touring with MK, and there is no MK tour in the pipeline, the "co-operative scheduling" obviously means that he asked MK before just in case he has plans for this 2017 and avoid having to refuse touring with him because he is already touring with Neil Diamond...

To me, that means he wants to tour with MK again, and that probably he knows when MK wants to tour so he can arrange his schedule...

I don´t think that MK ever thought about replacing Richard for a long tour, they are friends and MK values Richard talent a lot, but probably for other kind of gigs, probably McIntosh would be his choice.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 01:46:32 PM by jbaent »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 01:58:36 PM »
I don´t believe that Richard is saying goodbye, just that MK is going to be out of touring this year, so he can tour with Neil without problems...

When he says "Scarcely retired" I guess he means that maybe he´s not recording that much as a session player, and that he´s only touring with MK, and there is no MK tour in the pipeline, the "co-operative scheduling" obviously means that he asked MK before just in case he has plans for this 2017 and avoid having to refuse touring with him because he is already touring with Neil Diamond...

To me, that means he wants to tour with MK again, and that probably he knows when MK wants to tour so he can arrange his schedule...

I don´t think that MK ever thought about replacing Richard for a long tour, they are friends and MK values Richard talent a lot, but probably for other kind of gigs, probably McIntosh would be his choice.

I agree.  If RB wasn't intending to tour any more, he wouldn't have asked permission from MK to join ND on his tour.

Regarding Robbie McIntosh - he is playing at Saltaire on 26th May.  He is mentioned in connection with lots of musicians, but oddly not MK!  It's not too far from me, so I might try to get there.

http://www.crashrecords.co.uk/product/robbie-mcintosh-band-260517-the-live-room-at-carolines-saltaire/

Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 08:04:42 PM »
If RB don't make the next MK tour I doubt (but I would like to be proved wrong) that Robbie would be the one asked.

I would expect an unknown session multi string instrumentalist
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 05:28:13 PM »

I agree.  If RB wasn't intending to tour any more, he wouldn't have asked permission from MK to join ND on his tour.

Regarding Robbie McIntosh - he is playing at Saltaire on 26th May.  He is mentioned in connection with lots of musicians, but oddly not MK!  It's not too far from me, so I might try to get there.

http://www.crashrecords.co.uk/product/robbie-mcintosh-band-260517-the-live-room-at-carolines-saltaire/
Met him after the Dortmund john Illsley gig, nice guy, and really fluid player with a style of his own

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

OfflineCrusty

• Banned
  • Camerado
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 09:05:03 AM »
RM has very nice solo here. MK hapy.
 AvFpxYKylt4

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 01:09:05 PM »
RM has very nice solo here. MK hapy.
 AvFpxYKylt4

Shame on me, I never seen this video :lol
Great solo, the song is tough to solo over.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 01:46:54 PM »
Yeah, i really like robbie and that video is good proof

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 07:43:08 PM »
He did some good work on MFN at these shows too.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 40 queries.