Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits Legacy - Jesus Street (New Song) live in Brazil- 2017  (Read 47173 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Dire Straits Legacy - Jesus Street (New Song) live in Brazil- 2017
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2017, 12:52:02 PM »
Gave it one (half) listen. Sounds like Chris Rea trying to sound like Dire Straits. Hurts to see Danny with them.

LE

Gave it half a listen, too. You are offending Chris Rea.
And yes, the only really sad thing about the Legacy is to see Danny getting that low...

He still have to pay his bills, and he losed two bosses recently, Mark Knopfler that decided to substitute him, and George Michael that sadly passed away...

Was he dropped for the recent Blue Club gigs too?  Sure he was.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2017, 01:00:59 PM »
Gave it one (half) listen. Sounds like Chris Rea trying to sound like Dire Straits. Hurts to see Danny with them.

LE

And yes, the only really sad thing about the Legacy is to see Danny getting that low...

He still have to pay his bills, and he losed two bosses recently, Mark Knopfler that decided to substitute him, and George Michael that sadly passed away...

I'm not sure... Guy said Danny had "other things" on that dates, I think that Ingrid (that attended the shows) said he was ill and was replaced... whatever, I´m sure that these Bluesclub gigs are not very well paid, so if anyone needs a percussionist and Danny gets the offer, he will leave the gig for sure.

Danny is still regarded as one of the best percussionist to hire, but gets older, and new and younger musicians are gaining their reputation as well.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2017, 01:05:06 PM »

LE

I'm not sure... Guy said Danny had "other things" on that dates, I think that Ingrid (that attended the shows) said he was ill and was replaced... whatever, I´m sure that these Bluesclub gigs are not very well paid, so if anyone needs a percussionist and Danny gets the offer, he will leave the gig for sure.

Danny is still regarded as one of the best percussionist to hire, but gets older, and new and younger musicians are gaining their reputation as well.

Sounds a bit like the Chad Cromwell "released on family issues" excuse to me.     ;)

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2017, 01:49:50 PM »

LE

Sounds a bit like the Chad Cromwell "released on family issues" excuse to me.     ;)

Yeah...

I guess that proffesional musician´s life is complicated, more than we think. It´s usual that we think that, let´s say Phil Palmer, has to be millionaire because he played for Dire Straits and Eric Clapton, and the truth is that he was just a paid worker, getting well paid but not to be millionaire, so when the job is done, they have to keep working to pay his bills, like anyone else.

I recall an Ian Thomas interview where he said that "overbooking" is very usual in musicians world, as you can´t know if some of that bookings would be cancelled, and you should try to accomodate to those overbookings in order to work.

Guy Fletcher himself has said that he still has a mortgage, when someone suggested in his forum that he might be millionaire has he played with DS and MK... I doubt very much that MK has a mortgage  ;D

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2017, 07:15:04 PM »
Guy Fletcher himself has said that he still has a mortgage, when someone suggested in his forum that he might be millionaire has he played with DS and MK... I doubt very much that MK has a mortgage  ;D

Mark, as a business man he probably has some for his art gallery or his studio.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2017, 07:56:46 PM »

Mark could afford to pay his mortgage off for him and not even notice.  Also, all these artists could well pay their musicians more money.  It's true that the richer you become, the meaner you become.  I wonder how the money was split when DS was a 4-piece...

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2017, 09:11:58 PM »

..for tax reasons?!  ;)
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2017, 10:39:32 AM »

Mark could afford to pay his mortgage off for him and not even notice.  Also, all these artists could well pay their musicians more money.  It's true that the richer you become, the meaner you become.  I wonder how the money was split when DS was a 4-piece...

The fact is that MK gets even more by the copyright of the songs, and DS, the enterprise was really just MK, JI and Ed Bicknell as the manager and director of the enterprise "Dire Straits Overseas", and DS the band, the four of them, so MK gets money for the three parts, JI for two, and AC y GF for one only.

Legally, it´s a mess, but the one that gets almost everything is MK, of course, and John in the second place. AC and GF got far more than Chris White for example, but less than John.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2017, 02:48:26 PM »
such a sad thing to watch this press conference...
and AC, what an narcisistic asswipe.
also, when AC said the better then dire straits thing, Danny was quick to say "watch out" in a protective tone.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Love Expresso

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2017, 03:18:39 PM »
Clark really exactly looks like I expect him to look referring to the way his character shows when it comes to his Dire Straits past.... he sounds like he WAS Dire Straits. Best answer Mark could give really was writing and recording a classy song like TOTT....

LE

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2017, 10:21:22 AM »
Of course this song is no MK or DS material but it's still better than 95% of the rubbish that's thrown at us these days. I reckon that if they had a pro singer it could be a hit but with Marco singing it's going nowhere.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2017, 10:29:54 AM »
Of course this song is no MK or DS material but it's still better than 95% of the rubbish that's thrown at us these days. I reckon that if they had a pro singer it could be a hit but with Marco singing it's going nowhere.

True what you say but to be fair I think Marco has been working hard on his vocal.  I have watched a few videos of recent concerts and he has almost lost the thick accent that puts people off (including myself) and he mumbles a bit less, just as the real Mark mumbles a bit more! 

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2017, 08:59:09 PM »

True what you say but to be fair I think Marco has been working hard on his vocal.  I have watched a few videos of recent concerts and he has almost lost the thick accent that puts people off (including myself) and he mumbles a bit less, just as the real Mark mumbles a bit more!

It always baffled me why so many tribute bands come from countries not the original band was from, but I think I just found one:

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2017, 09:04:13 PM »
Tribute bands come from where there are fans wishing to pay tribute to his idols...

There are some in the UK as well, I saw two with twitter accounts that tour the UK but cannot remember their names.

Offlineriton

• Guitar George
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2017, 10:52:11 PM »
such a sad thing to watch this press conference...
and AC, what an narcisistic asswipe.
also, when AC said the better then dire straits thing, Danny was quick to say "watch out" in a protective tone.

Alan is fantastic on his website (biog), without him DS, MK and EC would not be what are they !!.

But why no head hunter (his sentence) has called upon his services during the last 20 years.

One thing is sure he is much better comic than composer

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 38 queries.