Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Recordings  (Read 35577 times)

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
Re: Wireless Recordings
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 03:21:47 PM »
Since Guy started describing what IEM are in his Tour Diaries, I always wondered what kind of sound / mix it is that they hear, so it was VERY interesting to listen to such a recording and I enjoyed it a lot. The 2001 LA show is one of my favorites, and it sounds pretty good to me, actually better than some of SDB recordings from that tour. I treat this recording as a curiosity but I understand the band's view too.
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

OfflineJeroenvG

• Lady writer
  • Follow me on "twitter.com/vanDiemensLand"
    • Alles Muziek (Dutch)
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 03:51:26 PM »
IEM recording is the worst recording. I have 1 IEM recording from the last U2 tour and you can hear a computer voice counting down from 10 to 1. And thru the whole song that computer voice is saying when to start a song and when the bass comes in etc etc.

I prefer audience recording to feel the concert atmosphere.

That's very interesting. Shows that a U2 show is hardly "live" at all, just pre-programmed for them to play along with and fit in with light shows etc. With MK there is scope for improvisation and change, even if it doesn't happen very often.

Also, as far as I am aware, nobody knows for sure if Boothbay was IEM.

If anyone is interested in how it sounds. I think it is terrible, it is Mono and during the whole song you can hear some sort of shaking instrument to give the tempo for Adam. This IEM is from the bassplayer and it is not made by me.

http://rapidshare.com/files/308785272/03-Breathe.flac.html
"I could play my accordion And charm all of the women And dance round the taproom With a chair in my teeth"

Offlinerudiger

• Camerado
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 03:55:15 PM »
The 2001 LA show is one of my favorites, and it sounds pretty good to me....

very nice recording indeed  ;)

Onlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 05:29:14 PM »
If anyone is interested in how it sounds. I think it is terrible, it is Mono and during the whole song you can hear some sort of shaking instrument to give the tempo for Adam. This IEM is from the bassplayer and it is not made by me.

Just like I thought, it IS indeed terrible... :-\

OfflineJeroenvG

• Lady writer
  • Follow me on "twitter.com/vanDiemensLand"
    • Alles Muziek (Dutch)
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 06:28:39 PM »

Just like I thought, it IS indeed terrible... :-\

Yes you are right. If you listen to the same recording from audience it sounds much better.
"I could play my accordion And charm all of the women And dance round the taproom With a chair in my teeth"

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 04:47:56 AM »
"Tits up"?      Suppose that's like "belly up." ;D
I was just going to post that this was the first I'd heard that Boothbay was iem.    But it's the first time I've heard "tits up."     Regional?   Is there an alternate gender version?
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 08:44:49 AM »
Well, sort of. When something has gone wrong, it has gone "tits up". Sligtly different, butwhen you make a mistake you could call it a "cock up" or a "balls up". But you wouldn't say that it's "gone cock up", you would say "That was a cock up."

With me?  :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
Re: Recordings
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 08:21:30 PM »
I think if the recording is good or not has something to do with the way it`s recorded for instance the LA 2001 recording sounds great, I have several U2 IEM`S and a lot of them sound crap.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 06:32:31 PM »
Nice editing of the subject, by the way.

Most of my curiosity regarding about this kind of recording has more to do with the fact that to record the whole show with an IEM recorder you should know the frequency of the actual IEM you want to record, or at least to know one of the frequencies being used, and that means you have to scan before the show beguins...

How that is done by those who record the shows in that way?

With the Knopfler RAH shows it
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 11:57:43 PM »
I am perplexed as to why it is thought that the IEM recordings are made wirelessly. It is quite simple to take a line out from the soundboard of the actual IEM mix and record it that way (if you are friends with the engineer that is!).

IEM mixes are purely for each individual band member and are not made for recording. They act as prompts, keep time and also allow the musicians to hear how they sound. There is no need for them to be of a high enough quality to enable recording so when people say they sound terrible - that is actually how they were probably meant to sound and therefore to the on-stage musician they actually sound good!  :)

Onlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 12:00:36 AM »
I am perplexed as to why it is thought that the IEM recordings are made wirelessly. It is quite simple to take a line out from the soundboard of the actual IEM mix and record it that way (if you are friends with the engineer that is!).

I can't imagine most of the fans are friends with the sound engineer... Therefore, the only possibility for IEM recordings is wireless...

*I still hate the idiot who broke in in London few years ago* >:(

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 02:14:35 AM »
I presume you are still looking for answers via PM jbaent, as you originally said you were...as the people with the information you are fishing for would never post it here on the open forum.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2010, 02:50:48 PM »
I presume you are still looking for answers via PM jbaent, as you originally said you were...as the people with the information you are fishing for would never post it here on the open forum.

Dan, You are always so sharp  ;)

However, what
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 04:49:39 PM »
>> I
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 07:18:32 PM »
If no one has friends on the mixing desk where does one think all the soundboard recordings come from? An IEM feed from the soundboard is no different to taking a live mix feed from it too. That's all i was getting at.

Every bootleg that came via a soundboard in the history of music came via an unscrupulous sound technician :)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 36 queries.