Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Recordings  (Read 36386 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Recordings
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2010, 09:25:18 PM »
Every bootleg that came via a soundboard in the history of music came via an unscrupulous sound technician :)

Sorry Simon, but you're talking out of your arse on this one, plenty/most come from radio/TV broadcasts. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2010, 12:18:25 AM »
You are also forgetting that posting the kind of information that you are looking for on the forum or even starting threads like this is very much detrimental to those that go out there and make these kind of recordings so that you can enjoy them. Pretty sure we had a close call back in 2008. But that's a whole other issue that you're not really going to understand...

I
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:35:07 AM by jbaent »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2010, 12:23:36 AM »
Every bootleg that came via a soundboard in the history of music came via an unscrupulous sound technician :)

Sorry Simon, but you're talking out of your arse on this one, plenty/most come from radio/TV broadcasts. :)

Actually the 98% cames from Radio or Tv broadcast, as Dusty said, just a very few comes from "other" sources, like Leeds 78, Newcastle 89, Earl Courts 92, On every planet, Los Angeles 2001 or Boothbay...

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2010, 12:57:32 AM »
swan hunter...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2010, 01:54:20 AM »
You are also forgetting that posting the kind of information that you are looking for on the forum or even starting threads like this is very much detrimental to those that go out there and make these kind of recordings so that you can enjoy them. Pretty sure we had a close call back in 2008. But that's a whole other issue that you're not really going to understand...

I
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »

Nope Dusty I am afraid you are though.

Do you know how many gigs take place in every club, pub, city hall, arena, stadium every minute of every day on every Continent throughout the world? Multiply that by the last 50 years and it is one helluva lot. And you are saying that from all those gigs that the resultant bootlegs came from radio/tv broadcasts? Where did these broadcasting companies suddenly get this mass of wealth and resources to go round doing that sort of thing?

Sorry but the majority of the classic boots of the 60s and 70s were from soundboard engineers. Fans used to ask if they could plug in their tape decks to an output from the mixing desk as there are plenty spare and no one complained. Many times the engineers themselves recorded the shows for their own 'profit'.

Broadcasts are a recent thing and I mean full blown top-end stereo broadcasts (of full length concerts if lucky).

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2010, 03:39:19 PM »
Well we can agree to disagree if you like but if go onto any of the bootleg trading sites like Dime/Traders Den etc, the vast majority of soundboard recordings will have come from broadcast sources.

You initially said "every bootleg in history" came via the soundboard, now you're just talking about the 60s and 70s? Even then, I would say most bootlegs are audience recordings anyway, so no need for TV companies to stretch their resources. :)

Of course some came from engineers, hell, in some cases the band even made outputs from the soundboard available willingly. Sadly MK isn't so enlightened. :(

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2010, 04:01:33 PM »
swan hunter...

I made a mistake with Newcastle 89, as it was Newcastle 93 (Swan Hunter)

Until now Newcastle 89 is a not very good audience recording  :(

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2010, 04:17:39 PM »
If no one has friends on the mixing desk where does one think all the soundboard recordings come from? An IEM feed from the soundboard is no different to taking a live mix feed from it too. That's all i was getting at.

Sometime these are private tape made at the artist request (or record company) for various reason. Then the tape is circulating and someone in the chain let it leak. Among well known "leaker" we can include no other else than John Lennon and The Rolling Stones...

BTW does someone own the complete proshot of the second 2002 summer "Mark and Friends" residency at the Bush?

(not a real enquiry... just kiddin')

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2010, 04:43:14 PM »
My initial post related to soundboard bootlegs - nothing to do with broadcasts which are processed for radio/tv anyway and therefore not what the audience actually hears. The point I was trying to make was that the sound engineer was and is in sole control of his/her mixing desk and that what they choose to plug into or out of it is down to them.

I have never met a soundboard engineer who hasn't been asked for a live feed from his desk. If the request is a positive one then the taper is a lucky person and gets on with their business of making bootlegs.

I am aware that groups make their own recordings but am also aware that a lot of engineers make their own too! Somewhere down the line, an unscrupulous person (be it Jagger or Lennon, but more likely someone to do with sound i.e engineers/techs etc) 'releases' a recording from a soundboard.

There is no other way that a pure soundboard recording - recorded live at the venue through the actual mixing desk - can make it's way into the public domain without some unscrupulous person being involved, somewhere. Because boots as we all know are 'unofficial' recordings and thee release is therefore not official.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2010, 05:02:15 PM »
Well Simon in bootleg circles a "soundboard" recording is a recording that came from the soundboard, whether it came directly from the soundboard in the manner you describe or whether a broadcaster got a soundboard feed. So typically a recording is soundboard (SBD) or audience (AUD). :)

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2010, 05:19:34 PM »
And I doubt a lot than a IEM recording comes from the desk, as Dusty said, SBD comes from the desk, IEM comes from the signal transmited from the monitor mixes to the In Ear Monitors that any musician has.

Also there several pro-shot dvds that comes from a satellite interfered signal from the concerts to certains cinemas that broadcasted live concerts, I remember one by Genesis when they did their last reunion tour. IEM recordings must be the same thing, someone catch the signal transmitted, not plugged in the desk.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2010, 06:11:33 PM »

There is no other way that a pure soundboard recording - recorded live at the venue through the actual mixing desk - can make it's way into the public domain without some unscrupulous person being involved, somewhere. Because boots as we all know are 'unofficial' recordings and thee release is therefore not official.

If we exclude IEM and ALD this is almost true. But there is another exception. Bill Graham did have a CCTV in his venues and did capture many show that way.

Then there are stories that some engineer did privatly play some tape to a famous bootleger* and these were then dubbed without his known (the turntable audio out being discretely double wired with one going to the basement where a tape recorder was running). That how a bunch of bootlegs saw the see of light, to start with the infamous Bob Dylan's "Royal Albert Hall"  in the late 60's early 70's.

* : TMOQ / TAKRL

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2010, 06:34:45 PM »

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2010, 06:46:01 PM »
"Tu aimes mon cul"  :o

"The Trade Mark of Quality Story"

Wikipedia TAKRL

Time to learn about the bootlegging history....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 38 queries.