Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Bonus Track Policy  (Read 5603 times)

surferboy

Bonus Track Policy
« on: March 20, 2015, 10:36:25 AM »
I want to add a thought that is on my mind for many months.
I think in all the discussions about why a song is only released as a bonus track and about how they are released in so many exclusive, deluxe and whatever versions the most important thing is being forgotten:

That they are released at all!

RPD and SL only had one and KTGC had none at all.
Who knows what pearls have been recorded and put away forever.

I'm so grateful that we have this irrational deluxe box strategy and I'm willing to pay for it, because to me the bonus tracks mean sooo much.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:47:32 AM by surferboy »

LoveExpresso

Re: Bonus Track Policy
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 10:49:21 AM »
After reading the thread title I expected another content: More about how to deal with those PM questions after COPYRIGHTED material here on AMIT..

LE

surferboy

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 10:54:30 AM »
This is another matter I didn't intend to be discussed here and I hope this thread does not hopelessly carried away with.
So please, this would be another thread "Copyright infringement on the forum?" not this one.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:59:51 AM by surferboy »

LoveExpresso

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 10:56:18 AM »
It's great of course to have 18 New tracks. After the Privateering Double I never expected so much new stuff from Mark.  :thumbsup

LE

foma

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 10:57:41 AM »
After reading the thread title I expected another content: More about how to deal with those PM questions after COPYRIGHTED material here on AMIT..

LE

Since you mentioned that, I think AMIT copyright policy is complete tilting at windmills. When this stuff is all over Internet already, why bother?

Nobody can beat that. But, I know German laws are very bad at this, so I believe it's OK for Germany.

As for topic goes, why you can say what there WAS bonus tracks for RPD or Shangri-La theoretically? I think there was no leftovers at all exept Summer of Love.

foma

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 10:59:05 AM »
Even my chords is all over the internet with different authors name on it. People just take it, delete my email and write theirs. I don't know why.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 11:23:51 AM »
Welcome to the real world - not like it used to be.. :disbelief
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

foma

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 11:57:01 AM »
Welcome to the real world - not like it used to be.. :disbelief

It's not really a bad thing, when used right. I believe Monty Python was managed to multiply their DVD sales just by putting it in its completeness on YouTube officially with buying links. And there was huge burst of sales then. I think this — is the future. Not trying to avoid piracy, but to be a pirate himself.

It's like old saying: to beat something, just lead it.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 12:35:40 PM »

LE

Me too  :think
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 02:34:29 PM »

LE

Me too  :think

Me too (45)

As for the topic subject itself, I'm grateful there's a lot of releases. Being from Brazil, before the facilities of Internet times I didn't have access to singls b-sides, special editions of whatever. To get DS leftovers or b-sides, for instance, I had to dig a lot.

Last but not least, I don't know if there were many unreleased songs from DS times, but can you imagine if the policy back then was to release everything? I don't have the information of BiA leftovers, but I guess they didn't record only nine songs at that time.
Love over gold, mind over matter

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 06:48:44 PM »
I don't have the information of BiA leftovers, but I guess they didn't record only nine songs at that time.

BIA was a bit of a mess to record, I am not sure about leftover. But Making Movies was at first intended by Mark to be a double album. So there was many songs leftover at that time without knowing how many were actually rehearsed, then demoed, and then recorded to finally being outtaked before being recycled into the LOG album or DbTP Ep.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineH97

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 11:28:48 AM »
I think a lot more was written, but not recorded and recorded as a just demo solo by MK around that time, instead of recording it with the entire band.. Very well possible we know almost all recorded songs from that era.

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 03:39:49 AM »
I think a lot more was written, but not recorded and recorded as a just demo solo by MK around that time, instead of recording it with the entire band.. Very well possible we know almost all recorded songs from that era.

This is what makes more sense to me. I think it's impossible that he had written just nine songs.
Love over gold, mind over matter

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 11:41:18 AM »
RPD and SL only had one and KTGC had none at all.
Who knows what pearls have been recorded and put away forever.

Maybe if someone had thought about release boxes like now, some songs that were out from that records and forgot God knows where would had seen the light of day...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 52 queries.