Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Knopfler at Chalke Valley History Fest 2016  (Read 33552 times)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
Re: Knopfler at Chalke Valley History Fest 2016
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2016, 04:27:07 PM »
Please allow me a little personal indulgence. This weekend in Chalke Valley, I kept being reminded of a song from my youth,"The Hippopotamus Song", and its chorus, which went thus:

Mud, mud, glorious mud
Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood
So follow me, follow
Down to the hollow,
And there let us wallow,
In glo-o-o-o-o-o-rius MUD!

Brits of a certain age may recall this song, written by Flanders and Swann but memorably performed by Ian Wallace.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2016, 04:51:55 PM »
Please allow me a little personal indulgence. This weekend in Chalke Valley, I kept being reminded of a song from my youth,"The Hippopotamus Song", and its chorus, which went thus:

Mud, mud, glorious mud
Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood
So follow me, follow
Down to the hollow,
And there let us wallow,
In glo-o-o-o-o-o-rius MUD!

Brits of a certain age may recall this song, written by Flanders and Swann but memorably performed by Ian Wallace.

Yes, of course!   Ian Wallace's face and voice comes to mind immediately - and Flanders and Swann too!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2016, 06:20:10 PM »
in french, we have "la gadoue"  :lol

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2016, 07:11:10 PM »
Uncle Freddy:  I think MK said he was described as "a piper to the end". And the "Rifleman" book had a description of a soldier, erect and stalwart, marching into battle at Alamein playing the pipers.

Victor Gregg: I've seen a photo of him taken at CVHF this year, so it could well have been him at the front. We owe so much to that generation and the generation before that.

Glen Michael : Oh yes, Glen Michael's Cartoon Cavalcade - a TV staple on a Sunday afternoon for our kids, who just loved the programme - Bugs Bunny, Spiderman and all the rest. We were once looking to move house and went to view one property and who should be the owners but Glen Michael and his wife, who showed us round. I seem to recall that the house had (sort-of) purple and burgundy walls - a nice home but too much redecorating for us.  I should add that purple was a popular (trendy?) colour then - we had a purple carpet in one of our main rooms! Glen Michael's wife ran a small dress shop on the road from Prestwick to Ayr, as I recall.

North Ayrshire : I lived in Central Ayrshire but have so many memories of North Ayrshire - Ardrossan and the ferry to Arran; Largs, Nardini's, Kelburn Country Park and popping over to Millport; the sweep of the train station at Wemyss Bay down to the Rothesay ferry; dancing at the Seamill Hydro to "Lily The Pink"; a lock-in at a pub/hotel in West Kilbride when the police arrived and joined everyone for a drink; the Co-op butchers in Kilwinning with an old sign that said "Fleshing". One of my favourite views was  when, having worked late, I would drive off my normal route and through Loans, to come down the hill towards Troon, with the sun going down behind Arran and the whole Firth of Clyde in front of me, from Ailsa Craig to the Cumbraes.

Flanders and Swannn/Ian Wallace : For superval : The Gnu Song (another about an animal); Transport of Delight (about London buses), Down Below (about London sewers); and The Gasman Cometh - more memories from the past.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2016, 07:43:47 PM »

Flanders and Swannn/Ian Wallace : For superval : The Gnu Song (another about an animal); Transport of Delight (about London buses), Down Below (about London sewers); and The Gasman Cometh - more memories from the past.

Thanks, twm!   I remember all of those - my favourite was The Gasman Cometh.   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineknopfler1

• Camerado
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2016, 08:31:38 PM »
Hi all,

Finally home after a long drive.

I've uploaded my files to dropbox, you can get them with this link - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/es4blhzv3jtc75y/AAAtHxSkItGQkfU5wGzjX7_sa?dl=0

As mentioned, the audio was lower than a normal show so my creaky chair sometimes takes over the mix! sorry about that!

Offlineknopfler1

• Camerado
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2016, 09:19:18 PM »
North Ayrshire : I lived in Central Ayrshire but have so many memories of North Ayrshire - Ardrossan and the ferry to Arran; Largs, Nardini's, Kelburn Country Park and popping over to Millport; the sweep of the train station at Wemyss Bay down to the Rothesay ferry; dancing at the Seamill Hydro to "Lily The Pink"; a lock-in at a pub/hotel in West Kilbride when the police arrived and joined everyone for a drink; the Co-op butchers in Kilwinning with an old sign that said "Fleshing". One of my favourite views was  when, having worked late, I would drive off my normal route and through Loans, to come down the hill towards Troon, with the sun going down behind Arran and the whole Firth of Clyde in front of me, from Ailsa Craig to the Cumbraes.

Ardrossan is where I live, I spend most of my time between there and West Kilbride where my other half lives! Some of the views we get here looking on to Arran are spectacular. It always strikes me how lucky we are to live here when I return home after a trip to see the view as I drive over the hills.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2016, 09:51:08 PM »
I worked for a year or so between Kilwinning and Stevenston, in a first floor office with a large window looking across the rooftops to Arran, Goat Fell snow-capped for weeks on end.  I wouldn't describe Ardrossan as the most scenic of towns but I always appreciated the drive up the coast road going north.

Many years ago, when we lived elsewhere, we booked a trip to New York via Frankfurt. There was a problem with the plane we were due to take and we got put on to a smaller plane. I don't know if this made a difference but we flew up the East Coast of Britain, turned left over Edinburgh and along the Clyde Valley to Glasgow. It was a perfectly clear evening and, in a port side window seat, I had this glorious view right down the Firth of Clyde, almost to Stranraer and Northern Ireland it seemed. I swore I could see the Solway, which is more or less where we'd started our journey many hours earlier.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2016, 10:20:02 PM »
Hi all,

I've uploaded my files to dropbox, you can get them with this link - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/es4blhzv3jtc75y/AAAtHxSkItGQkfU5wGzjX7_sa?dl=0

As mentioned, the audio was lower than a normal show so my creaky chair sometimes takes over the mix! sorry about that!

Thank you so much!!  :D
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineFenderBender

• Camerado
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2016, 10:24:51 PM »
Hi knopfler1. Thanks for sharing so quickly, Much appreciated!
This baker's boy from the West Country

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2016, 11:38:57 PM »
many thanks Knopfler1  :thumbsup

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2016, 11:49:28 PM »
in french, we have "la gadoue"  :lol

Funny, that french song written by Serge Gainsbourg has been both time performed by [born] english singers.

Original 1966 version by Petula Clark

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2016, 11:53:36 PM »
Great recording, lovely to hear. I love OB. Really nice. Works really good live I think. They could've speed it up a bit. For the next tour this is a good replacement for Haul Away e.g.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2016, 12:03:26 AM »
Great recording, lovely to hear. I love OB. Really nice. Works really good live I think. They could've speed it up a bit. For the next tour this is a good replacement for Haul Away e.g.

Indeed.  Works well, as did MM.  As for the others...  He sounded relaxed playing in his own back yard though in front of a small group of friends, with his family and talking about things that interest him.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2016, 12:23:15 AM »
Hi all,

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 39 queries.