Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert # 40:2013.06.22, Budapest Sportarena, Budapest, Hungary # SPOILER AHEAD  (Read 13810 times)

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
If I understand well, Pottel reported correctely live, then he spent the night with Elian and Arnaud and after that CBC disappeared.  ;)

That's another way putting it  :-X
Leaving nothing to interfere,
With the crazy balance of your mind.

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
Okay, Sonny Liston is sounding better than ever with nice little touches here and there but - and it's a major "but" - that "kick ass" solo is now gone!  Song now unnecessary;  just 7 minutes of lyrics that interest MK.

I am sorry, I am relatively new poster, but long time reader, and I would like to ask how you can consider to name a song "unnecessary". I am myself a guitar player in a band and have been to about 30 MK concerts, and for me this song is one favourite live, the complete opposite of "unnecessary". This "unnecessary" song also obviously got one of the biggest reactions from the crowd. It

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
I disagree with you Junkiedoll, moaning is allowed in this forum and when people say a song is unnecessary they expres their own feeling. It's not meant to offend people, it's their opinion. You can agree or diagree, both fine.

I agree with DMG, I don't like Sonny, it's better live than on the CD, but still for me it's boring.
About the biggest reactions I disgree too, I was at 12 shows so far, the amount I planned before, 7 to go (yes this tour is amazing, that's why it will be 19 for me at the end) but the biggest cheers were heard after Sultans, and Telegraph Road.

I don't have a problem that he doesn't play Sultans every time, replacement by Gator Blood is ok with me, but the boring Sonny is not my cup of tea. That's what I think and want to express in this wonderful forum with freedom of speech.

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
I am sorry, I disagree. Too say a song is "unnessecary" is a different connotation than to say that I do not like a song or I prefer other song, or for my taste a song is boring. To name a song as "unnessecary" is for me on offence to fans that like that song (or what should I think about that I like a song that is considered as "unnessecary", and obviously MK likes it too).

I know that discussing about setlist is of course allowed, and everybody should express their feelings. But this "moaning" and very cynical comments like "next he will replace TR with fish and the bird" is simply unsensitive and useless. And from my point of view this setlist moaning has reached a stage that is sometimes really offensive against MK and other fans who like the set as it is. I have mentioned my dissatisfaction with this also to people from this forum that know me under this nick back from the good old MK news chat since STP 2001, though I never posted here...

Bye the way, about audience reaction I did at no point say that Sonny got more reaction than Sultans or TR. I said that it got "one of the biggest reactions", and that is for sure true at least for the concerts where I have been to...

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:03:37 PM by junkiedoll »

Love Expresso

Junkiedoll, so you were there, another one of the old forum! Wish you would have posted more, I remember your posts were always interesting. Can't remember your old avatar though...

I can fully understand what you say. I had a little fight about "moaning about the moaners" at the beginning of the tour, it doesn't lead to anything. It is just as it is.

I had that moment when returning from my London show and reading the thread about it: i really was curious what "they" had talked about and I thought it would be interesting to read and I wondered if anyone of the concert attendants also thought that it was the best show so far - but first thing I read was "blimey again no Yon Two Crows" or something. It is only a couple of persons that thinks that they are perfectly entitled to moan about everything - bellieve me, IF Sultans should ever come back, they have to moan something about the way he played it, Ian played it, the guitar was tuned, the shoes Glen wore etc...
You have to live with it. I learned to better shut up - because they mistake freedom of speech that is so important here with a certain attitude that isn't helpful the slightest... I love this place far too much that I would ever consider to leave it because of that. So let them moan. Ignore them. Write positive posts. I would love to read them. And no folks: You don't have to be all positive to be on AMIT, but it could help. Sometimes.

And: I think Song For Sonny Liston literally "exploded" since Ian took over, it has really great lyrics, within the best since solo, I love that song and I wish it could be played live more often. There you have it.

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
@ JunkieDoll.

To say the song was "unnecessary" was just a bit of frivolous, lighthearted fun.  I didn't expect it to be taken seriously.  Of course, I was frustrated when I heard that version because they had made it sound slightly more bearable through the lyrics part only to take away all the good work with Mark's solo which was inferior to those played on last years tour IMHO.

P.S.  I love Junkie Doll.  Wish it was on the set!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
@dmg: Got it, no problem. And as mentioned, of course I accept that you are not a fan of Sonny and that you can express it in forums.
But you also may accept that some, long-time and short-time fans like it very much, in particular with Ian now.

@Love Expresso: thanks, yeah the good old MK chat times ;-). And nice to see at least one other fan likes Sonny :)

@Ingrid: Freedom of speech is ok but often used as a senseless killer argument. Freedom of speech ends were it offends other people

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
agree with your last paragraph junkie doll. i do not see them as "replacements" it is just Sos that is not played anymore, not these two replacing.
also, a pity we did not meet on saturday, i was with Tunnel85, Elian, Arnaud, Jeroen and Isaac, would've been cool to meet another amit member.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
I don't totally dislike Sonny though;  I'd rather have it to Marble for example, or even IDUAD.  Last year some of the soloing was fantastic.

Apologies in advance to fans of above songs! ;)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:46:31 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
I don't totally dislike Sonny though;  I'd rather have it to Marble for example, or even IDUAD.  Last year some of the soloing was fantastic.

Apologies in advance to fans of above songs! ;)
I accept your apologies   ;)  ;D ;D ;D :wave

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
Hi junkiedoll,

There are some closet Sonny fans... (like me, as stated in the "True Confessions..." thread)   :wave

And yes, there is a lot of ranting on this site of late in regards to selected songs and how they are played.  And there have been several wonderful recommendations made by many AMITers, such as yourself, to just enjoy MK live, but yet we still hear the moaning.  For me, it helps to just "Let It All Go"...  :D

And lastly... MANY thanks, junkiedoll and Tunnel for sharing the amazing videos!!!  :D
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 40 queries.