Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: BBC4 Sessions?  (Read 69164 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: BBC4 Sessions?
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2013, 10:57:41 AM »
If they had planned to release this on DVD/BD, then surely playing Sultans is a must because it would be the deciding factor for many in whether they actually purchase it or not.  Not playing Sultans is either a massive mistake by MK or they don't plan on releasing a DVD/BD anyway.
I can see where you are coming from, maybe Sultans was the reason why RLRR did not sell well...
Still, a "modern" version of Sultans is not what I'm looking for on a DVD... we already have OGWT,Chorus, BBC arena, Alchemy and Live Aid as official releases, all that are better than anything modern IMHO. What i want is the long-awaited WII, HFB and Marbletown (yes, Marbletown, mind you :p) on DVD. Plus the Privateering songs. I would have loved also Border and Piper, too bad no song from GL was played yesterday ! and of course YTC. Oh well. I would be contented with what they played yesterday, but they have to release it !!!
But true, lack of SoS can prevent people from buying...

Please, Herlock, can you tell me what exactly is OGWT?     :hmm

Old Grey Whistle Test.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2013, 10:58:44 AM »
If they had planned to release this on DVD/BD, then surely playing Sultans is a must because it would be the deciding factor for many in whether they actually purchase it or not.  Not playing Sultans is either a massive mistake by MK or they don't plan on releasing a DVD/BD anyway.
I can see where you are coming from, maybe Sultans was the reason why RLRR did not sell well...
Still, a "modern" version of Sultans is not what I'm looking for on a DVD... we already have OGWT,Chorus, BBC arena, Alchemy and Live Aid as official releases, all that are better than anything modern IMHO. What i want is the long-awaited WII, HFB and Marbletown (yes, Marbletown, mind you :p) on DVD. Plus the Privateering songs. I would have loved also Border and Piper, too bad no song from GL was played yesterday ! and of course YTC. Oh well. I would be contented with what they played yesterday, but they have to release it !!!
But true, lack of SoS can prevent people from buying...

Please, Herlock, can you tell me what exactly is OGWT?     :hmm
Old Grey Whistle Test, a popular music show in the 70's. In 1978 this was DS's first TV appearance. They played Sultans and Lions. Sadly Lions seems to be lost, but Sultans is featured as a bonus track on the Alchemy DVD/BD, together with TOL in 1980. Both in amazing video/audio quality, you would believe your are there ! :)

Love Expresso

« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2013, 11:01:24 AM »
Do mean this kind of "lost"?  ;D (ok, it's faded out...)

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2013, 11:07:36 AM »
Thank you!   I should have known better, of course!   These acronyms drive me crazy!   ;D   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2013, 11:08:27 AM »
Do mean this kind of "lost"?  ;D (ok, it's faded out...)

LE
Yeah, I knew about this video on youtube, but it is not official, probably a very old amateur recording. What I mean is that if they had it officially, sure they would have released it together with Sultans on the Alchemy DVD/BD ?
The Chorus version is similar but without the fade-out :)
BTW Lions is a wonderful little song, would fit very well today. I really love the Dormund'80 version with keyboards... a bit dated for the synth maybe, but so powerful and emotional, the Lions + News combination was wonderful to experiment with music, and show how little tunes could be turned into epic sagas, before the Alchemy days ! :)

Love Expresso

« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2013, 11:11:05 AM »
Yes, Mark once said that "maybe Lions" was the only one of the first albums that he still likes/thinks is relevant... I also think it would fit perfectly well with this 2013 band... Just imagine: Not playing Sultans, ok ok,  BUT change it with "Lions"! Now THAT would have been a really great sensational surprise, don't you think? I liked a lot the longer outro that they used to do back in those days. Today, it would sound very similar to the album version, no doubt..

LE

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2013, 11:17:17 AM »
Yes, Mark once said that "maybe Lions" was the only one of the first albums that he still likes/thinks is relevant... I also think it would fit perfectly well with this 2013 band... Just imagine: Not playing Sultans, ok ok,  BUT change it with "Lions"! Now THAT would have been a really great sensational surprise, don't you think? I liked a lot the longer outro that they used to do back in those days. Today, it would sound very similar to the album version, no doubt..

LE
Do you mean that there is an modern interview from Mark commenting about the first DS albums ?? I'm not aware of it ! Do you have a link ?
But what saddens me is that he seem to think that ONLY Lions would be relevant ?? Is he seriously disowning such gems as Six Blad Knife, In the Gallery, Down to the Waterline, Where do you think you're going, Once Upon a Time in the West, News, Single Handed Sailor, or even Portobello Belle that he used to play not so long ago ('96) ???
All the more that his music today has kind of gone back to these early days. Gone are the epic long songs from the MM and LOG records, gone is the 'pop-like' music of the BIA days... His albums today echo a lot to self-title and Communiqu

Love Expresso

« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2013, 11:23:56 AM »
Oh, i have no idea where I read/saw/heard that - one of the bazillion interviews/tv-shows/press-kits/clips that come along when you are a fan for nearly 30 years... as I remember his face while saying it, it must have been a video, but I am not able to specify it, sorry. Only thing I am sure about is that I did not DREAM it...

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2013, 11:28:33 AM »
Love these early songs - the lyrics on the first album are fantastic and a lot better than his later ones.  Take WWE for example, Southbound;  great imagery.  They're all fantastic with no bad ones or skippers and MK doing what he does best, utilising his main assets.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2013, 11:44:45 AM »

Thanks !
Not too sure on how to compare these figures though - are we talking about the VHS ? the laserdisc ? the recent DVD/BD ?
As for EH, you are puzzling me, I am absolutely fond of the blend of MK/EH voices, but I guess every taste is in nature :) IDUAP from Amsterdam 2013 is nice, but I prefer the 2006 RRLR version with EH and the "battle of guitars" way better.
Agree with you on the album though - it is a full MK album for me, and it is often underrated here. IDUAP, Rolling On, the title track... real wonders !

The sales figures are for the recent DVD/BD (Dire Straits 2010/Adele 2011). Ok, the Dire Straits sales figures are still quite impressive given the fact that there has been little advertising/airplay for a recording of a long gone supergroup which dates back to 1984.
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2013, 11:54:16 AM »
So if the programme lasts about one hour, they will have to cut out loads of songs...

If this is the dvd, I have mixed feelings about it. I dont get why is so damm complicated to release a proper dvd concert. Except Real Live Roadrunning, the only one MK dvd was another special BBC programme.

Anybody releases a RAH dvd, but not MK... Is the money they ask for it really the issue? Even an Spanish artist has released a dvd live at the RAH, and even he has loads of money, he
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2013, 12:12:43 PM »
So if the programme lasts about one hour, they will have to cut out loads of songs...

If this is the dvd, I have mixed feelings about it. I dont get why is so damm complicated to release a proper dvd concert. Except Real Live Roadrunning, the only one MK dvd was another special BBC programme.

Anybody releases a RAH dvd, but not MK... Is the money they ask for it really the issue? Even an Spanish artist has released a dvd live at the RAH, and even he has loads of money, he

OnlineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2013, 12:42:27 PM »
we already have OGWT,Chorus, BBC arena, Alchemy and Live Aid as official releases

Chorus as official release ? which one ? I want it as Sultans is my fav version from early days

the Lions + News combination was wonderful to experiment with music

I agree that this era was great, but Lions wasn't combined with news.

Lions was combined with Down to the waterline.

David Gilmour is similar to MK in generation, status and popularity
I don't think so.
I think that Floyd 'music had a far big more impact in music history, and therefore Gilmour's popularity cn't be compared to Mark'sone.
And the other difference is that when people go to a Gilmour gig, they are sure to have the classic Floyd tunes, which is not the case with Mark/DS tunes

Portobello Belle that he used to play not so long ago ('96)

it was even part of the 2001 Munich soundcheck

Yes, Mark once said that "maybe Lions" was the only one of the first albums that he still likes/thinks is relevant

never heard about this.

I read thought, taht he could'nt listen to the first 2 albums anymore, but I tought it was in terms of production, not in terms of writing.

It's interesting his statement about Lions, because it's the only song not composed before the album recording.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2013, 01:57:08 PM »
Chorus as official release ? which one ? I want it as Sultans is my fav version from early days
You actually have two of them:
- The Chorus 3 DVD pack released in France. On one disk you have some parts: Only Water Of Love, Lions, and Sultans. No interview, and no Eastbound train :( Beware of this release ! there is a bug in Sultans, the sound is ok but in the end the video is slowing down and does not match the sound anymore ! :(
- It is available (with the Interview and Eastbound train) on ina.fr. You can order it as a DVD, they will burn it and send to you. I did that, so that I consider it as an official release :)

I agree that this era was great, but Lions wasn't combined with news.

Lions was combined with Down to the waterline.

Agreed, but that was not my point. I talked about "combination" just to say that these songs were fantastic items on the set-list :)

I don't think so.
I think that Floyd 'music had a far big more impact in music history, and therefore Gilmour's popularity cn't be compared to Mark'sone.
And the other difference is that when people go to a Gilmour gig, they are sure to have the classic Floyd tunes, which is not the case with Mark/DS tunes
I beg to differ. No doubt PF had a huge impact, but this was the case of DS in their heyday. Just watch the sometimes silly, always crazy audience in Nimes and Rotterdam on the "On the Night" DVD :)
And Gilmour did not play everything from Floyd, just a few key milestones (Echoes, Shine On, Comfortably Numb, Wish you Were Here, Breathe, Time,...), just like Mark. A bit more than Mark, ok, granted, but still, half of the concert was made of tunes from the "On a Island", which had a very small impact, if at all, compared to Floyd albums.

it was even part of the 2001 Munich soundcheck
Didn't know that, thanks !
And Setting me Up was even reheased recently, I think...
So why disowning those wonderful albums ? Because it reminds him of the bad relationship with David ?

I read thought, taht he could'nt listen to the first 2 albums anymore, but I tought it was in terms of production, not in terms of writing.

It's interesting his statement about Lions, because it's the only song not composed before the album recording.
I did not hear him say that, but I remember him saying that he once heard TR from the LOG album in a caf

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2013, 02:04:46 PM »
Guy says the BBC show will be on air at the end of the year.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 45 queries.