Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Going Home again  (Read 15812 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Going Home again
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2020, 08:54:52 AM »
What I don't get is why he insist in playing such a lovely song with the Gibson Les Paul... When he played it with the Strat it sounded delicate and lovely, with the LP it sounds rough and rude, at least to me. And if you add the kemper, that it makes everything sound too distorted and even more rough... Maybe (probably) is about taste, but I don't like the sounds he chosed lately, is like I'm listening to whatever rocker that just wants to make noise rather than the excelent player that used to want to deliver delicate, bright and lovely sounds...

The playing, well, yes, he did some mistakes, as usually, but I'm sure it was cold, very, look at his hat and clothes!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2020, 08:57:51 AM »
I have to say... I love the song, I love this version, I like the atmosphere, I love the hat, I love the sound, I love to see him in such a good shape, I love to see Guy too... Didn't notice any mistake, I don't listen to music for that, I listen to the feeling, and Mark Knopfler is definitely masterclass for that!

:clap
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2020, 09:06:08 AM »
I've been listening again this morning and I still can't hear that glaring error, even though I know where it is!    ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2020, 09:09:48 AM »
I've been listening again this morning and I still can't hear that glaring error, even though I know where it is!    ;)

After all, that error is not that important  ;)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2020, 09:13:09 AM »
What I don't get is why he insist in playing such a lovely song with the Gibson Les Paul... When he played it with the Strat it sounded delicate and lovely, with the LP it sounds rough and rude, at least to me. And if you add the kemper, that it makes everything sound too distorted and even more rough... Maybe (probably) is about taste, but I don't like the sounds he chosed lately, is like I'm listening to whatever rocker that just wants to make noise rather than the excelent player that used to want to deliver delicate, bright and lovely sounds...

The playing, well, yes, he did some mistakes, as usually, but I'm sure it was cold, very, look at his hat and clothes!

Actually, I did think it sounded delicate and lovely on this occasion, but maybe it's just me.   I agree about the Kemper on tour - I didn't like the sound, especially with the Gibson.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2020, 09:22:40 AM »

Actually, I did think it sounded delicate and lovely on this occasion, but maybe it's just me.   I agree about the Kemper on tour - I didn't like the sound, especially with the Gibson.

It might be because of the special ocassion, the tribute to his friend... A friend of mine uses to describe the sound of the Gibson like "fat sound" and the Strat one as "thin sound", to me is really more rough than fat, and crystal clear than thin, but my friend is guitarist since he was a kid, and I'm just another banging on the bongoes like a chimpanzee  ;D

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2020, 11:00:16 AM »
If all you are concentrating on is listening for an error in his playing then you don't get who Mark is what he is doing, there is not one guitar player in the world, professional or not who doesn't make a mistake, if I had a small fraction of a 71 year old Mark Knopfler's guitar ability I would be very happy, he doesn't have anything less to prove, just enjoy seeing him play, when he is gone, he will be a huge loss to music. But most importantly this was about Sir Stirling Moss, not Mark!!!
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineDelco23

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2020, 11:59:39 AM »
I enjoyed listening to this as I imagine smaller venues/more intimate settings are likely going to be main way to hear MK live in the future. 
Does anyone know if soundboard recording file exists somewhere? I’d love to be able to pull down just the audio for a listen.

hunter

« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2020, 01:50:38 PM »

Simply because it isn't a glaring error. It's a tiny, passing greenie. And I'm one of the critical ones around here :)

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2020, 02:03:21 PM »
Have you considered that he may just have cold hands on this performance? (I think someone mentioned that earlier).

no, he is not an amateur playing with cold hands
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2020, 02:06:34 PM »

because of the exact reason you mentioned, it sounds more rough and rude and so errors are
much less noticeable while playing in a concert to untrained ears (90-95% of the people)

same reason why he used it also on Silvertown Blues and Once Upon a Time, all should have clean sounds, it's a trick
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 02:57:35 PM by PensaGhost »
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2020, 03:15:31 PM »
Have you considered that he may just have cold hands on this performance? (I think someone mentioned that earlier).

Sorry Pensaghost but even professional musicians are not immune form the cold  ;) 

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2020, 03:29:48 PM »

Sorry Pensaghost but even professional musicians are not immune form the cold  ;)

as if during cold live concerts you saw errors every 3 minutes from all musicians, but please

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2020, 03:30:26 PM »
The only thing I would say as a generalisation about many performances of local hero/GH/WT in say the last 10 years is that Mark seems a little bored with it.

Again this could be misinterpretation, but speaking as a musician if you compare say the OTN version to more recent performances he does seem to rush to the coda. In the good old days there was more anticipation in the run up to the main theme, it was played slower, with more dynamics, and often mark was happy to improvise around those lovely final 4 chords (D G#dim,BM Bdim) , making everyone wait before those beautiful familiar notes of the main theme.

Does anyone else feel the same?

Opinions?   

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2020, 03:37:05 PM »

as if during cold live concerts you saw errors every 3 minutes from all musicians, but please

Fair enough, you don't get it. Cold does effect your playing though. you end up playing purely from muscle memory, that's ok for those who use a pick, but for fingerstyle its a nightmare.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 41 queries.