Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits reunion in 2015 or 2016?  (Read 27159 times)

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
Re: Dire Straits reunion in 2015 or 2016?
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2015, 10:54:14 AM »
I know that we might have different opinions about this (which is fine), but I find this Straits etc thing quite sad. What if this current band of Mark Knopfler would take another singer-guitarist and perform without Mark as a band of Mark Knopfler...

Good illustration. Sounds meaningless...
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

OfflineShredder1977

• Guitar George
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2015, 11:30:43 AM »
If even Roger Waters and David Gilmour reunite to perform under the name Pink Floyd again (Live 8, 2005), I would surely consider a DS reunion a possibility. Think about it. MK has been doing what he wants to do for the past 20 years. That's a longer period than DS existed, so any revulsion he had against performing under the name Dire Straits must have faded quite a bit over time. Oh yes, a reunion is very much possible... Would be great. Even one concert would already be awesome. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 11:39:21 AM by Shredder1977 »

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2015, 11:38:20 AM »
If even Roger Waters and David Gilmour reunite to perform under the name Pink Floyd again (Live 8, 2005), I would surely consider a DS reunion a possibility. Think about it. MK has been doing what he wants to do for the past 20 years. That's a longer period that DS existed, so any revulsion he had against performing under the name Dire Straits must have faded quite a bit over time. Oh yes, a reunion is very much possible... Would be great. Even one concert would already be awesome.

I actually think the opposite. Due to several "almost Straits" bands over the last years, and all the noise and confusion around those bands, I would think that he is more negative to a reunion now than ever before.
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2015, 11:43:23 AM »
Would be great. Even one concert would already be awesome.

It could also be seriously disappointing.   Best to leave it as a beautiful memory.   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2015, 12:34:18 PM »
I know that we might have different opinions about this (which is fine), but I find this Straits etc thing quite sad. What if this current band of Mark Knopfler would take another singer-guitarist and perform without Mark as a band of Mark Knopfler...

A very interesting take.  Most of them wouldn't be able to play the DS songs to any decent level IMO.  Not with the arrangements they used in the old days anyway.  No offence to the current band meant by that, but they have their own style and flutes and whistles weren't part of the scene back then!

I find this Straits thing most disagreeable.  A mere money maker for ex-band members, some of whom only present for the duration of a tour and think above their station in the band's history.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 12:38:54 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2015, 12:36:40 PM »
I would definately go, the DS songs played by John Illsley and band were really good. I also enjoyed The Straits in the Netherlands. It's not the Same without MK but hearing the DS songs played by excellent musicians is really nice.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2015, 12:44:12 PM »
I would definately go, the DS songs played by John Illsley and band were really good. I also enjoyed The Straits in the Netherlands. It's not the Same without MK but hearing the DS songs played by excellent musicians is really nice.

Agree, I show them and liked them. Obviously without MK it
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2015, 04:36:54 PM »
OFFICIAL MESSAGE FROM PHIL PALMER

They are trying to put a band together with old bandmembers of Dire Straits. We didn't talk about who will or will not be involved. During DS timers some people leaved the band and some appeared. They don't want to recreate Dire Straits. They want to celebrate the wonderful music with passion and respect. Not a reunion of any discription.

Phil never said it was a reunion and he understands why MK fans would object to it. They have no wish to challenge the great reputation and spirit of a wonderful band ... and the genius of MK in which it was his great privilege to be involved in a short period. He said: "we, like all people on the forum, want the music to live on"

Phil asked me to make this totally clear. He read the reactions on this thread and understands people are against reunion when MK is not involved. That's the reason he asked me to make this totally clear. And he hopes the reactions will be less negatieve about this whole idea. I think it's a great idea. It's so nice to hear those old songs again, played by those great musicians.

All the best, Ingrid
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 05:18:59 PM by ingridswing »

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2015, 05:04:25 PM »
I was there too last night and I must say it was an amazing concert.
I think the most important thing is your own expectation.
If you expect the same level of playing like Mark did in DS, you'll be disappointed.
But if you expect another take on those songs, you'll have a great night!
John is still a great bass player, Phil is a great guitarist, and the other bandmembers are also all good.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2015, 06:05:56 PM »
I bet that Caviglia will be the lead guitar and vocals. Phil lives in Italy so it makes sense.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2015, 06:34:10 PM »
Phil,  if you are reading this, please come and contribute to the forum!

We have had a few ex DS members come and chat and their contributions have always been valued. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2015, 07:16:50 PM »
Dear Phil, if you read this, it doesn't matter how much or how well you explain it, there always be fans that will think you are trying to make money from MK's legacy and will call you things like some people already did here and did with The Straits in the past.

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2015, 08:24:55 PM »
I bet that Caviglia will be the lead guitar and vocals. Phil lives in Italy so it makes sense.

IMO That would kill it stone dead. With all respect to Marco he can play the songs, but I've heard the you tube clips with his strong Italian accent
I couldn't bear to listen to a whole concert of that. 

When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2015, 08:42:40 PM »
We will see what happens. I didn't ask about the line-up they are looking for. Yesterday and friday John Illsley did the vocals. It sounded really good. Actually everything was great, not only the DS songs. John's solo songs are really worth listening. Yesterday they played where do you think you're going as an encore, it was on the setlist in Zoetermeer as well but not played. Really great to hear those good old beloved songs played that well  ;)
And someone earlier said it right: don't expect the sound of MK, he isn't there to play, but expect really good played songs and you have a great night

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2015, 10:31:56 PM »
good to see this straightened out (no pun intended) and sure hope for a word or two from Mr. Palmer.
seeing as how both tommy mandel and jack sonni contributed, it would be another nice addition.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 38 queries.