Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: What is the first single you ever bought?  (Read 15282 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
What is the first single you ever bought?
« on: January 05, 2009, 08:55:13 AM »
This question cropped up on Breakfast TV this morning, so I'm curious which was the first ever single that members of this forum bought? 

OK, so I'm a bit ancient - my very first ones were from the mid-fifties and were 10" breakable discs!   :o

"Singing the Blues" -  Guy Mitchell.  This one was bought four times (first one was broken on the way home from the shop and clutched too tightly).  The others were mainly sat on at parties!  ;D

"Green Door" - Frankie Vaughan
"Rock Around the Clock"-  Bill Haley
"Josephine" - Johnny Ray
"Bad Penny Blues" - Humphrey Lyttleton

My first vinyl 7" single was "Petite Fleur" by Chris Barber and  "Midnight in Moscow" by Kenny Ball then loads of Beatles' singles, some of which I have still.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 02:56:08 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

draad

Re: What is the first single you ever bought?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 11:53:26 AM »
Unit Four plus Two - The concrete and the clay (I think that's the correct title)
Xanadu - or was it the legend of Xanadu? Can't remember the band now but can hear that whip cracking quite clearly!

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 01:13:30 PM »
I dont know about "bought" but I do remember a school friend of mine had cassette tapes of The Crossing & Steeltown by Big Country in the early 80's which he gave me a loan of to copy.At that time we used to get two getto-blasters & play the tape on one while taping on the other with a blank tape - very techno:P :P There was a big "Do Not Disturb" sign on the bedroom door for about two hours while the whole process was going on because you could hear every noise like closing a door on the copy :o
What a band Big Country were in those days,certainly up there with the best ever to come out of Scotland (Dusty must have a comment on this ??????),they are still one of my firm favourites on my ipod - its a pity that Stewart Adamson is no longer with us :(
Once I started to work full-time I used to but a cassette tape every week,I still have a few but my brother was forever taking & loosing them >:(
If it aint broke dont fix it!

Rollergirl

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 01:51:27 PM »
I think the first single I owned (or was it my sister's?) was "you're the one that I want" from the film "Grease". I used to play in in my little, what do you call it? Mange-disque in French. Which is exactly what it did. You would insert the singles like you do with CD's in the car, see what I mean? Sometimes it would not come out. I must have been 8 or 9.

Then the first tape I bought with my own money was in 1984 (I was 14). It was "Forever Young" by Alphaville  (you know, Big in Japan, etc). I loved it and listened to it non stop.  The year after I got stung by the MK bug and never looked back.

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 07:47:34 PM »
Oh this does go back too far---too far!!!!!   Love me Tender by Elvis Presley and All I Have to do is Dream by the Everlys.  Bought on the same day.   45 rpm format.   Well, I think Elvis's was an extended play, with four whole songs on it. 
Of course I was a very very tiny little girl back then.    If I recall, I was still in the womb. . . . . ;D :o
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 08:00:59 PM »
my first single....pffft, all i remember was my first cd....the Pixies, Bossanova.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 02:43:48 PM »
In this case it was a maxi single and it was Calling Elvis / Iron hand / Millionaire blues. I didn
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 02:51:18 PM »
This 'Ole House by Shakin' Stevens for me, top tune that still sounds great today.

What a band Big Country were in those days,certainly up there with the best ever to come out of Scotland (Dusty must have a comment on this ??????),they are still one of my firm favourites on my ipod - its a pity that Stewart Adamson is no longer with us :(

I'm glad you asked! Back at Hogmanay 1993 there was a big street party thing in Aberdeen. Thousands of people all turned up to listen to bands and things.

One of my friends' girlfriend was pregnant, and unfortunately she fainted. I helped my mate carry her to the first aid people at the back of the huge crowd. We made sure she was OK, and he took her home. I went off to try and find my other friends, but by that time the crowd had dispersed and I had no idea where anybody was (this was before everybody had mobile phones).

So I found myself wandering the streets of Aberdeen trying to find my friends, I ended up walking past the back of the Capitol theatre (sadly no longer there, but I saw some great concerts there including MK in 96 - DS played there on the Making Movies tour I believe) and there was a crowd of people standing at the stage door.

In my slightly inebriated state I asked who they were waiting for. It turned out Big Country had been playing there that night. Just at that moment they came out, and I ended up getting Stuart Adamson's autograph. Funnily enough I hadn't seen it for years, but my mum asked me to go to her house over Christmas to clear out old junk, and I found it (along with some old MK tickets which I will try to scan for Pottel  :) ).

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 02:52:09 PM »
Oh this does go back too far---too far!!!!!   Love me Tender by Elvis Presley and All I Have to do is Dream by the Everlys. 

Talk about downhill from there, two of the greatest songs ever!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 10:00:30 PM »
Hey Waterline Man I recognize taping with tape recorders! We had a tape recorder also and I held the microphone nearby the radio to tape music! LOL Being a member of a family of 8 people, I think you can understand that the quality of the tapes was worse compared with what the possibilities are now!

If I am right (it
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 10:04:33 PM by Fieneke2 »
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

draad

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 09:57:09 AM »
Couldn't remember the exact name of the single or the name of the band - and then this sad news appears in the papers today http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/4208929/Dave-Dee.html
 :( :'(

OfflineJon

• Local Hero
    • Dire Fakes Website
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 07:04:27 PM »
Yes, that was sad news indeed.

Believe it or not, the first single I ever bought was Pretty Vacant by The Sex Pistols.  I can remember my aunt being round at the house when they came on Top of the Pops with it.  The adults were horrified, but I thought it seemed like they were having fun.

Fieneke, Crazy Horses is a great song!  I still enjoy it when I hear it.

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 09:41:20 PM »
Quote Jon: "Fieneke, Crazy Horses is a great song!  I still enjoy it when I hear it."

Hey Jon that is good to hear!  ;D

Fieneke
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Offlinejacki

• Camerado
  • once upon a time in the West
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 03:40:55 AM »
I agonized over "Sounds of Silence" by Simon & Garfunkel but finally bought "As Tears Go By" by the Rolling Stones. I think I was 11 or 12. I still have it somewhere!

My first LP was Herman's Hermits!

OfflineBarzofarhyme

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 12:28:44 PM »
I dont know about "bought" but I do remember a school friend of mine had cassette tapes of The Crossing & Steeltown by Big Country in the early 80's which he gave me a loan of to copy.At that time we used to get two getto-blasters & play the tape on one while taping on the other with a blank tape - very techno:P :P There was a big "Do Not Disturb" sign on the bedroom door for about two hours while the whole process was going on because you could hear every noise like closing a door on the copy :o
Once I started to work full-time I used to but a cassette tape every week,I still have a few but my brother was forever taking & loosing them >:(

Wow this brings back some memories. Big Country were one of the bands playing at the best gig i've ever been to. " A Midsummers Night Magic " the final gig of Queen's Magic Tour in front of 250,000 at Knebworth. The gig was opened by a little known band of the time called " Belouis Some " as i think Freddie Mercury was having a bit of a fling with the lead singer at the time. The gig proper was kicked off properly by Status Quo who were brilliant.The day was red hot and they really got the crowd started and in a great mood.Big Country then came on late afternoon/early evening and played a blinding set. The whole gig built throughout the day until that fantastic showman Freddie Mercury and the rest of the band kept a 1/4 million people on their feet singing and clapping for over two hours. I can still see in my mind to this day thousands of pairs of hands raised all around me during " Radio GaGa" when they turned massive spotlights from the stage towards the crowd. :) Freddie was such a great entertainer and the bigger the crowd the better he was such a sad loss  :'( 

Sorry to go off thread a little there but they were very happy memories :)

Can't remember the first record that i bought but my first CD's were a Roxy Music greatest hits album and a Simple Minds album " Once Upon a Time" followed very closely by a little known album called " Brothers in Arms " that was only bought by the odd couple of people  ;D
All i do is kiss you, through the bars of a rhyme

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 44 queries.