Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New album in production  (Read 152435 times)

Rollergirl

Re: New album in production
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2011, 03:29:22 PM »
If Dire Straits never existed and Mark still worked for the Leeds Post I can guarantee that David would still be a social worker and would never have achieved what he has on his own today. 

I have listened to some of his music and it is terrible, just awful. It never would have been released if his name wasn't Knopfler.

Well, that may well be the case, we

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2011, 03:56:07 PM »
( ) If Dire Straits never existed and Mark still worked for the Leeds Post I can guarantee that David would still be a social worker and would never have achieved what he has on his own today ( )

Thats something nobody can't say because we can't talk about things that didn't happened. Things happened that way. In many interviews MK always mentioned that the musician in his house was his brother David, who studied piano, so probably he would had ended up doing something in the music bussiness, but probably at the same level than Steve Phillips or Brendan Croker before they started their association with MK. I
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2011, 04:03:31 PM »
Actually, the music that Mk is doing nowadays, David started to play that kind of music in 1993, so I won
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2011, 04:17:06 PM »
Rollergirl, know one is being rude or disrespectful. All that is happening is some forumers are having a discussion related to MK. Please don't tell me not to disagree with someone else as I thought the reason this forum is the best MK forum in the world was we could say what we want. Jbaent has put forward a strong case for his opinion I just happen to disagree. But I'm sure and hope Jbaent isn't angry about not agreeing. Finally give DK a listen and form an opinion which I would love to hear regardless if you like him or not.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2011, 04:42:42 PM »
Actually, the music that Mk is doing nowadays, David started to play that kind of music in 1993, so I won

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2011, 04:45:41 PM »
  ( ) Jbaent has put forward a strong case for his opinion I just happen to disagree. But I'm sure and hope Jbaent isn't angry about not agreeing. Finally give DK a listen and form an opinion which I would love to hear regardless if you like him or not.

I

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2011, 04:49:03 PM »
I am not inot DK music but when part of DS Mk1 band Iliked the way he sounded on guitar. But Mark was the lead guitar, singer composer and elder brother - too many things to comptete with (unlike being called Angus and Malcom).
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2011, 04:53:40 PM »
I am not inot DK music but when part of DS Mk1 band Iliked the way he sounded on guitar. But Mark was the lead guitar, singer composer and elder brother - too many things to comptete with (unlike being called Angus and Malcom).

Despite they write the riffs together, Malcom plays the rythmic parts and Angus the solos and the main rythmic part  ;D

The difference here is that David wanted to record their owns songs as well, and with MK as the leader of the group it wasn

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2011, 04:55:14 PM »
The difference here is that David wanted to record their owns songs as well, and with MK as the leader of the group it wasn

Rollergirl

« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2011, 04:57:17 PM »
Sorry Banjo, your post wasn't rude, I shouldn't have put you in the same bag as Dusty who was being rude and disrespectful (but that's one of the things we love about him  ;D).

The argument "he wouldn't have had any success at all if it wasn't for MK" doesn't hold, because there are a lot of good musicians who we have never have heard about out there. This one we know about through his link with MK, fine, that doesn't make him a lesser musician.

There are a lot of musicians I like which wouldn't know about if it wasn't for MK/GF, I won't name them all but if GF hadn't produced their 2nd album I wouldn't know about "THE RIDERS" (check them out if you haven't) and that would be a real shame because I think they are the best band since... sliced bread   ;D.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2011, 05:00:34 PM »
The argument "he wouldn't have had any success at all if it wasn't for MK" doesn't hold, because there are a lot of good musicians who we have never have heard about out there. This one we know about through his link with MK, fine, that doesn't make him a lesser musician.

You are absolutely right, it doesn't.

His lack of talent makes him a lesser musician. ;)

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2011, 05:04:31 PM »

Rollergirl

« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2011, 05:07:40 PM »

You are absolutely right, it doesn't.

His lack of talent makes him a lesser musician. ;)

;D

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2011, 07:33:50 PM »
Sorry Banjo, your post wasn't rude, I shouldn't have put you in the same bag as Dusty who was being rude and disrespectful (but that's one of the things we love about him  ;D).

There are a lot of musicians I like which wouldn't know about if it wasn't for MK/GF, I won't name them all but if GF hadn't produced their 2nd album I wouldn't know about "THE RIDERS" (check them out if you haven't) and that would be a real shame because I think they are the best band since... sliced bread   ;D.

No worries Rolergirl no offence taken, like you say only Dusty can get away with being cheeky here.  I personally think we should all rejoice in a Scotsman and an Englishman sitting on the same side of the battle line.  That doesn't happen very often on our shores. 

Love Expresso

« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2011, 10:25:28 PM »
I've got to agree with Dusty on this one. I've tried all his albums and I find them too sickly sweet for me.  I really don't think of him as one of the creative forces behind Dire Straits but his association with the band has left him in a fortunate position of having a small fan base who will buy his records and watch him live.  If Dire Straits never existed and Mark still worked for the Leeds Post I can guarantee that David would still be a social worker and would never have achieved what he has on his own today.  On a personal level every time I see an interview or read one his ramblings he does come across as a self righteous preachy man which makes it hard for me to adhere to him.  One of Mk's greatest traits and one of the reasons I respect him as an artist is that he never preaches to the world unlike people like Bonio.  Using Mk's words he manages to "put a shoulder to a door" in a dignified way.  Thats my rambling over.

Great post. I agree with every single word of it! Apart from Bonio.  ;)

LE
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 08:06:30 AM by Love Expresso »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 43 queries.