Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert # 12:2013.05.11,  (Read 41465 times)

Offlineman on a track

• Founder
  • Camerado
Re: Concert # 12:2013.05.11,
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2013, 09:43:20 PM »
I remember in Edinburgh 2005 some Weegie shouted out (rather crudely) "hey Mark, I thought this was the Shangri-La tour?"  About 30 seconds later he played Tupelo!  I don't know if it was planned or if the mans roar was taken into account.  These intimate venues like The Playhouse are fantastic. ;D

Well remembered and well to hear on my recording from there.
He was quite close to me and I found it very embarrassing.
It must have been a strange coincidence unless that man knew the setlist (who knows?), because the band was already set up for playing what turned out to be Tupelo.

That said, I wish Mark did a "sleepers-only" concert once
The way he sings and plays guitar  
            Still brings me to tears

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2013, 09:44:24 PM »
Hmm, FHB next? ;D

FHB ? I can't stand it with all these acronyms... :hmm

Sorry Hill Farmer Blues. FHB doesn't make any sense, although it does in Internet Explorer 10 (autocorrection) and makes HFB into FHB (God knows what that means). I hate this kinda stuff... ;D

ah ok thanks  :)

you know, I went on Mknews, searching on all release to find which song it was  :smack ;D :lol

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2013, 09:44:52 PM »
Diamond for Tupelo today. :think  Both Diamond and Tupelo are "sleepers" in every sense of the word as far as I'm concerned.
Dmg, this is utter blasphemy ! :p
I dug up a diamond is a gem from a fantastic album, I'm soooo happy with these great news ! The version on the RLRR DVD is fantastic, hope this one too, even without Emmy...
Always though the Attr album was underrated here, as if it was not a real MK album. To me it is one of the best, I like it better than SL !
Time to bring back Emmy in the band ? The blend of male and female voices was so great...

Can't understand why everyone loves Diamond??? :hmm  Give me Marbletown any day!

Boring, repetitive lyrics at a snails pace.  I just don't see what positive it has.

I respect your opinion though, but why everyone loves it so baffles me completely. :hmm :hmm
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2013, 09:46:52 PM »
Diamond for Tupelo today. :think  Both Diamond and Tupelo are "sleepers" in every sense of the word as far as I'm concerned.
I like them both.
I''ll be honest with you : I don't like the whole Shangri-La album because the guitar tone is too smooth. 
Tupelo live is different, the guitar is powerful and I was very pleased to see it live. I was desperatly expecting crows, I got Tupelo instead and it was great.

I remember in Edinburgh 2005 some Weegie shouted out (rather crudely) "hey Mark, I thought this was the Shangri-La tour?"  About 30 seconds later he played Tupelo!  I don't know if it was planned or if the mans roar was taken into account.  These intimate venues like The Playhouse are fantastic. ;D

I can't imagine Mark playing a request from public, so I don't think it was taken into account.

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2013, 09:47:22 PM »
Hmm, FHB next? ;D

FHB ? I can't stand it with all these acronyms... :hmm

Sorry Hill Farmer Blues. FHB doesn't make any sense, although it does in Internet Explorer 10 (autocorrection) and makes HFB into FHB (God knows what that means). I hate this kinda stuff... ;D

ah ok thanks  :)

you know, I went on Mknews, searching on all release to find which song it was  :smack ;D :lol

Aaaaaah sorry, FHB is from the next album! ;) ;D ;D :lol

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2013, 09:48:07 PM »
I honestly think MK has listened to us critics this time and thrown us some tasty bits. Who would ever thought of hearing I Dug Up A Diamond again. Bloody fantastic.

Yes maybe after many years Guy saying things to him, Mark changed his mind ? ???

OfflineMarikablue

• Camerado
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2013, 09:50:48 PM »

Well remembered and well to hear on my recording from there.
He was quite close to me and I found it very embarrassing.
It must have been a strange coincidence unless that man knew the setlist (who knows?), because the band was already set up for playing what turned out to be Tupelo.

That said, I wish Mark did a "sleepers-only" concert once
I would really like that he did a " speedy only " concert once  ;)
" and it's your face I'm looking for on every street "

Offlinecrimmer

• Camerado
  • BLUESY man Chris
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2013, 09:50:56 PM »
used to could is a cool song, nice and blusey , not as good as my sonny tho:), maye he could do a blues sesh in the middle of the gig gator blood, sonny, and hot or what, you cant beat the house.
SHANGR LA-2 concerts  KTGC-3 concerts 
ATRR- 1 concert GET LUCKY - 3 concerts
2011- 2 concerts PRIVATEERING- 6 concerts
TRACKER 6 concerts
DTRW Barcelona, leeds, Newcastle, RAH x2 ,Manchester, Birmingham,

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2013, 09:53:27 PM »
I like them both.
I''ll be honest with you : I don't like the whole Shangri-La album because the guitar tone is too smooth. 
Tupelo live is different, the guitar is powerful and I was very pleased to see it live. I was desperatly expecting crows, I got Tupelo instead and it was great.

I can't imagine Mark playing a request from public, so I don't think it was taken into account.

He has played Wild Theme on request with the Hillbillies in 1998 (and probably my favourite ever version), but you're right it isn't like him.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2013, 09:56:37 PM »
used to could is a cool song, nice and blusey , not as good as my sonny tho:), maye he could do a blues sesh in the middle of the gig gator blood, sonny, and hot or what, you cant beat the house.

I would find it very repetitive
I love blues, but when it's blended with other tempo songs, other styles, not several 12-bars in a row ! too boring  :disbelief
for example I love the Layla album : the classic blues songs fit very well, because they are between other style songs, idem for the stones, etc...
but I must admit that listen to a Muddy waters, hooker or BB king entire album is sometimes  a litlle bit boring...

I saw BB king in concert some years gao, and well, fo course it was the legend BB kin, but after 3 or 4 songs... ::)

Offlinedreamsound

• Local Hero
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2013, 09:57:35 PM »
after dug up a diamond (one of the best song in his solo life) I dream for 'Metroland'.........another diamond
straitsway75
!!!
well said!
A security guard said it was total foolishness on our part to attend the show in the rain. We laughed and said we were indeed the most foolish folks in the world. --Tee, JTO

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2013, 09:58:35 PM »
IUTC is a kind of joke to me, something the band uses to relax a bit - it reminds me so much of Two Young Lovers from DS. Enjoyable, but disposable, funny song, but no great song.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2013, 09:59:04 PM »
I was thinking...all these setlists changes must make Glenn Saggers crazy ! :o ;D

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2013, 10:01:12 PM »
IUTC is a kind of joke to me, something the band uses to relax a bit - it reminds me so much of Two Young Lovers from DS. Enjoyable, but disposable, funny song, but no great song.

Yes agree, but I like listen to it in the car !
it reminds me of the bug

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2013, 10:04:21 PM »
Dmg, this is utter blasphemy ! :p
I dug up a diamond is a gem from a fantastic album, I'm soooo happy with these great news ! The version on the RLRR DVD is fantastic, hope this one too, even without Emmy...
Always though the Attr album was underrated here, as if it was not a real MK album. To me it is one of the best, I like it better than SL !
Time to bring back Emmy in the band ? The blend of male and female voices was so great...

Can't understand why everyone loves Diamond??? :hmm  Give me Marbletown any day!

Boring, repetitive lyrics at a snails pace.  I just don't see what positive it has.

I respect your opinion though, but why everyone loves it so baffles me completely. :hmm :hmm
I guess it is because you don't like "haunting" songs.
You don't like KOG either, while most people (including myself) love it.
Agree that this kind of songs is repetitive, but repetitive in a nice way, that grows on you (unlike Sonny that just get on my nerves). The guitar duel between Mark and Richard is awesome in IDUAD, the guitar solo is amazing in KOG...
I guess this is a matter of taste. You stated your favorite from Privateering was Bluebird, which leaves me perfectly cold. On the other hand your dislike Marbeltown, which I love like most people, because it just grows on you with plenty of little variations...

Only treasures like SoS, TR, TOL, BIA, Speedway,... reach a consensus here...

Diversity of tastes is a treasure ! :)

Cheers

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 34 queries.