Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK silence on Gaza  (Read 670 times)

Offlinemilicz

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: MK silence on Gaza
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2024, 03:04:23 PM »
MK has been quite vocal in his songs about conflicts.  Ukraine is about as black and white as conflicts can get.  Not showing support for Ukraine can be seen as tacit support of Russia. 

Gaza is on the complete other end of the spectrum, where the issues are muddled.  I suspect MKs views are as nuanced as he is, wherein he would never post a flag choosing "a side".

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2024, 03:27:24 PM »
That's certainly true, it's a highly complex issue.
Whatever his reasons are for not making a statement, that's fine with me.

But this is an interesting discussion! Why do people look to celebrities to find out what to think?
Bob Dylan once said something like "People want to know what I'm at, because they don't know what they're at." Then he added something like "I don't a have clue either."  ;-) (And for the next ten years or so, he'd only write religious songs!)
With John Lennon, it was similar.
They're just humans, after all.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlineprivinvest

• Guitar George
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2024, 08:05:18 PM »
I wish I hadn't open this thread. I didn't intend to create a political discussion. for me and i believe for billions of people, in this conflict, there's a clear injustice, imbalance of suffering, use of firepower, cruelty, strong backers, loss of life, destruction, affront to dignity, institutionalised racism etc. no party is blameless but this doesn't mean that they have equal responsibility. i won't try to persuade you. if you cannot already see it then I can't do it for you. and yes of course hamas doesnt want peace, it kills civilians, it rejects israel's existence etc... but.... anyway, i should stop. i'm, what was the word, ha yes, locking myself out of this discussion, sorry for creating trouble. mk doesn't have to say anything, he's not a judge, a prophet, historian, expert, journalist etc. he may have nothing terriby original to say. or his view of the thing maybe unpopular, too nuanced, maybe his family ties make him see it very diffent than me, that it would disappoint me etc. even then i would love to know it, for he's an important person for me, and i want to know more about him.     

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2024, 08:12:32 PM »
Which artists have commented on this topic? I ask out of curiosity.  Besides Roger Waters and maybe Bono?
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2024, 08:51:53 PM »
I wish I hadn't open this thread. I didn't intend to create a political discussion. for me and i believe for billions of people, in this conflict, there's a clear injustice, imbalance of suffering, use of firepower, cruelty, strong backers, loss of life, destruction, affront to dignity, institutionalised racism etc. no party is blameless but this doesn't mean that they have equal responsibility. i won't try to persuade you. if you cannot already see it then I can't do it for you. and yes of course hamas doesnt want peace, it kills civilians, it rejects israel's existence etc... but.... anyway, i should stop. i'm, what was the word, ha yes, locking myself out of this discussion, sorry for creating trouble. mk doesn't have to say anything, he's not a judge, a prophet, historian, expert, journalist etc. he may have nothing terriby original to say. or his view of the thing maybe unpopular, too nuanced, maybe his family ties make him see it very diffent than me, that it would disappoint me etc. even then i would love to know it, for he's an important person for me, and i want to know more about him.     

Hey, don't worry! I think it was perfectly okay to ask the question, no harm done!
And it's absolutely understandable that we would all like to know where he stands on important questions, because he is so much more than just a musician. I just don't think it's going to happen in the case of Gaza.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2024, 09:27:13 PM »
Which artists have commented on this topic? I ask out of curiosity.  Besides Roger Waters and maybe Bono?

Clapton has been playing a guitar with the Palestine flag and raising money for Palestinian children.

I’ve been critical of his racism but for me this is clearly a good thing.

But the world is so crazy he’s being called an antisemite for doing this.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2024, 09:30:38 PM »
"But the world is so crazy he’s being called an antisemite for doing this.

It's true  :o
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2024, 10:22:04 PM »
i won't try to persuade you. if you cannot already see it then I can't do it for you.   
You see, it's this kind of arrogance and moral superiority that irritates a lot of people and certainly prevents artists from being more vocal about the conflict. You're essentially saying that you're the enlightened one, the one with the absolute truth and the others who may or may not share the same view are stuck in some kind of darkness, blindness or dumbness that require your help to understand what's going on.

EDT: By the way, my comment goes for both sides of the conflict.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 10:26:58 PM by rmarques821 »

Offlineprivinvest

• Guitar George
« Reply #24 on: Today at 05:57:27 AM »
hey, hey, i've said i'm out of this discussion, not becoz i can't but becoz this is not the place, but, 1) the issue is not me, i'm nothing, i'm not superior than you. 2) tell me in dm (i'm a novice, don't know how to continue this in private, if you do, pls wite me a DM or whatever) which part of this sentence you disagree with: "in this conflict, there's a clear injustice, imbalance of suffering, use of firepower, cruelty, strong backers, loss of life, destruction, affront to dignity, institutionalised racism etc. no party is blameless but this doesn't mean that they have equal responsibility." Let's talk about facts, numbers, history, train of events, what 3rd parties say, law, maps, what happened, etc. is that ok? enlighten me pls.

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #25 on: Today at 07:37:36 AM »
Discussing the conflict related to MK: ok
Discussing the conflict here at AMIT: not ok.

Your last post indicates that you are about to do the later, in this case I hope this thread is closed more sooner than later.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: Today at 08:38:13 AM »

Clapton has been playing a guitar with the Palestine flag and raising money for Palestinian children.

I’ve been critical of his racism but for me this is clearly a good thing.

But the world is so crazy he’s being called an antisemite for doing this.

I'm an antikilling-innocent-people, no matter their religion, their race, their country, whatever, so if for that someone called me antisemite I don't give a damm as it clearly says more from that person calling me that, and in the worst way possible. Killing innocent people in the aim of whatever is a crime, no matter the excuse you use to that. Innocent people are always innocent people, in both sides of the story, in all sides of every story despite the story you want people to believe.

You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Onlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: Today at 08:55:18 AM »
I was always under the impression that this is a music forum and that politics and religion shouldn't be discussed here.  Does that mean there is a special case for Gaza?
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 39 queries.