Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New album release autumn  (Read 273320 times)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: New album release autumn
« Reply #720 on: August 31, 2018, 11:16:54 AM »
So pretty. I remembered another blue from the last tour. Kingdom Of Gold
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Love Expresso

« Reply #721 on: August 31, 2018, 11:19:44 AM »
The solo from Song For Sonny Liston on this guitar at the 2011 tour was one of the most explosive and sharpest one I have heard of MK on any Live gig I attended. Totally electric and great. However I have the feeling this guitar and it's sound was not liked by many, especially not by MK himself. Pity.

LE

Love Expresso

« Reply #722 on: August 31, 2018, 11:22:38 AM »

One great example. Solo starts at 5:02 min. Hannover 2011 was even better from what I recall.

LE
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 11:24:59 AM by Love Expresso »

Love Expresso

« Reply #723 on: August 31, 2018, 11:26:48 AM »
In fact I did not hearing any good guitar playing by him on the 2015 tour, not even similar, but that's another story.

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #724 on: August 31, 2018, 11:27:03 AM »
The solo from Song For Sonny Liston on this guitar at the 2011 tour was one of the most explosive and sharpest one I have heard of MK on any Live gig I attended. Totally electric and great. However I have the feeling this guitar and it's sound was not liked by many, especially not by MK himself. Pity.

LE

Wasn't BIA played with that guitar too? At least at the beguining... I only attended the Glasgow concert that was the second one and I think he played it with that blue LP too...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #725 on: August 31, 2018, 11:27:16 AM »
Why did I watch it?  :o
:lol
Wish I hadn't either.  Can't believe there was a Calling Elvis telephone released like the one in the video!   :o
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Love Expresso

« Reply #726 on: August 31, 2018, 11:29:08 AM »
Watching what? Please, I have no idea what you are talking about?

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #727 on: August 31, 2018, 11:30:10 AM »

LE

The Mikel Camps youtube channel showing some of his collection.

https://www.youtube.com/user/KnopflerMuseum/videos

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #728 on: August 31, 2018, 11:30:36 AM »

LE

Wasn't BIA played with that guitar too? At least at the beguining... I only attended the Glasgow concert that was the second one and I think he played it with that blue LP too...

I was going to say that.  Yourself, Tunnel85, Dusty and myself were all there.  Sounded great to me too.  Phil Cunningham attended the show as well if I recall.

Love Expresso

« Reply #729 on: August 31, 2018, 11:31:10 AM »

LE

You mean at the beginning of the tour? I don't think he changed it? Maybe for the US leg in 2012?

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #730 on: August 31, 2018, 11:31:59 AM »

Love Expresso

« Reply #731 on: August 31, 2018, 11:32:15 AM »

LE

The Mikel Camps youtube channel showing some of his collection.

https://www.youtube.com/user/KnopflerMuseum/videos

Ok thanks!

LE

OfflineMK-47

• Local Hero
« Reply #732 on: August 31, 2018, 11:33:54 AM »
The Layla riff is actually the riff from Albert King's "As The Years Go Passing By" so... Duane Allman is great I agree but I think you're giving him too much credit.

Well it are Clapton his words. I listened to the Albert King song and find it to be honest a far stretch that he borrowed it that way.

"When we had some songs we went to Miami to work with Tom Dowd on an album. We got so far with it. Someone had given me a book called The Story Of Layla And Majnun, which was a Persian story about being driven mad by falling in love with a beautiful, unavailable woman. I loved the name and I had the main body of a song that was obviously about Pattie. But I knew it needed something else. A motif. I realised we had something after Duane Allman came up with the riff." - Eric Clapton

https://www.uncut.co.uk/features/the-making-of-derek-and-the-dominos-layla-24633

"There is nothing I can do" line is exactly the same as the Layla riff. It's just slower and the song is in another key.

These are Clapton's words form the same link you gave, but from page 2.

Clapton: We spent a lot of time working together on the guitars and Duane was very instrumental in the development of the song. He came up with this riff that was pretty much a direct lift from an Albert King song, ‘As The Years Go Passing By’ from the Stax album Born Under A Bad Sign. It’s a slow blues and there’s a line that goes, ‘There is nothing I can do if you leave me here to cry’, and we used that.

It also says this in the article: Whitlock remembers that Clapton already had Layla when they started writing together: “He wrote that song by himself at home.” The opening riff was also there – taken from Albert King’s As The Years Go Passing By – but the song was much slower than it finally appeared. Here is the link https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-story-behind-the-song-layla-by-derek-and-the-dominos

Another quote: “You know what? That riff is a direct lift from an Albert King song. And I don’t have to pay royalties because . . . [He hums the riff.] Hmmm, maybe I do [laughs]. It’s a song off the Born Under a Bad Sign album ["As the Years Go Passing By"]. It goes, There is nothing I can do/If you leave me here to cry. It’s a slow blues. We took that line and speeded it up.
- Eric Clapton, interview
1988 http://12bar.de/ftp/text_info/rollin_stone_interview_1988.txt

My response about the Layla riff was just to clarify that he did not actually "came up" with it. I didn't want to suggest that because of that, he was not a great artist he is.

I am not disputing the talents and achievements of Duane Allman, but to say that he, as you said, is the reason that "Layla And..." album is a masterpiece, is a bit far fetched in my opinion. And I repeat, I think you're giving him too much credit.

And we are getting a bit off topic of this thread I'm afraid.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #733 on: August 31, 2018, 11:35:33 AM »

LE

You mean at the beginning of the tour? I don't think he changed it? Maybe for the US leg in 2012?

LE

I might be wrong but I think MK played with the blue Les Paul in Sonny Liston and BIA at least in the Glasgow 2011 concert.

If that was like that, seems MK changed to the sunburst Les Paul after that concert or some concerts laters, as all videos from that 2011 tour I find show him playing with his usual LP.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 11:40:29 AM by jbaent »

Love Expresso

« Reply #734 on: August 31, 2018, 11:36:09 AM »

LE

I was lucky to attend Oberhausen too back in 2011 so I got Why Aye Man as an Opener on which he played this guitar, too. It gives me some hope that Guy said that the new LP is used heavily on the new album.

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 49 queries.